Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

Question Need some NOMAD knowledge!

What better place to go than to the experts!

I am thinking about buying a bike, which means I'll be buying a bike. After a few months of looking at everything, I keep coming back to the Nomad! I just really like the look.

I'd like to bounce some questions off the forum members...

1) are any years/models especially better/worse than the rest? Iow "look for..." Or "avoid...", etc.

2) anything in particular I should be wary of when looking at a used Nomad? Any "trouble spots?"

3) I'll be a fall and spring weekend warrior...won't be putting huge mileage on the bike. That said, what would be considered "high mileage" on a Nomad?
Saw a 2007 with 43k yesterday and that made me a little nervous. ??

4) since I'm new at buying bikes in general...what kind of value, if any, should be given to aftermarket parts?

I think that's it. I'm really excited, but always worried I'm gonna screw up.

Thanks for any info, and I'm looking forward to becoming a REAL member of the forum!

V/r
Darrin/RadarContact

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! The 99 Nomads are the only ones you should be careful of since they came with a plastic oil gear which was prone to breaking, most of them have been replaced with a steel gear, but check to make sure. They are overall good bikes and you can expect to change a clutch spring eventually unless its already been done. That is a cheap easy repair.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #3

They changed the Nomad in 09 to belt drive and shortened it a little bit. Taller riders don't care for the 09 or up Nomads but people that are in the 5'10" range like it. The seat on the pre 09 Nomads sucks and most people change them out. The Russell Day Long seems to be the seat of choice although it is a pricey seat. The pre 09 Nomads don't have cruise control. The 09 and up do. The 09 and 10 Nomads had a recall for the ECU which was probably already taken care of by the current owner. If not it is a free replacement at the dealer. The pre 09 Nomad is a 5 speed. The 09 and up are 6 speed.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 08-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I had an 01 nomad bought it brand new in june of that year never a problem, blew an air shock one time got cover under warr. clutch was replaced around 25000 mi just sold it in may of this year ( custom painted, modified vance and hines pipes, hurricane air cleaner and a bully dog fuel processor) sold it with 36000 on the clock and wouldnt be scared to take it coast to coast. it was a awsome bike ,I like you , a weekend rider. just bought the orange 1700 vaquero in may, and hope to get the same results from my kawasaki's of previous years this is my 4th one.

GOOD LUCK-----------------SKULLSHAKER

Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

I wouldn't consider a '99 due to the plastic oil gear. Everything that has already been said is good advice. I don't buy used bikes, but if I did, I'd buy the most recent model year that falls in my budget. Your biggest decision will be whether to get a 1600 (2005-2008) or a 1700 (2009-current). My personal opinion is that the pre-09 Nomads with the side opening bags look the best. The Nomads are solid, dependable bikes.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
I agree with everyone else here. so far. I'm sure there will be others with their point of view. I think even those people like C.J. [above] that have gone to alternative bikes will say that the Nomad is a "solid bike".
I have an '06 which I bought new in '07 and have no plans to get rid of it. Another bike? Maybe but I'll always keep the Nomad. I love the look and it has never let me down. Having said that I have to say I only have 43,000 kms on mine. I really do need to get out more. LMAO. ......
There are numerous ways to make the Nomad your own for sure,.....I have changed all the lighting to LED except the headlight, put a Harley D. fairing and tour pak on mine, added some chrome and lights, cruise control, stereo, and a lot more and too much to mention. But with that goes $$$$ LOL.
It might do you well to look at gadget's web site to see the possabilities. A good place to have when wondering on how and what to do when it strikes you to do something. http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm
Good luck and enjoy the new bike whatever you choose. Oh...and welcome.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Last edited by rickyboy; 08-20-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #7

You said,
Saw a 2007 with 43k yesterday and that made me a little nervous.

These bikes are capable of 150,000 miles if taken care of properly.
I put 88,000 miles on a 2007 I bought new and liked it so much I bought an 08 with 12,000 miles on it to replace the 07.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

...All great advice from experienced owners of Nomad's, and other types..

On my 02 1500fi Nomad.I have had seat comfort problems (including passenger seat discomfort also)..there are lot's of seat-options available...

Every bike has it's weak spot's, But the Nomad is an easy fix on the few glitches designed into it !

I ride long distance and local..I'm old and crippled up...but even I can maintain the Nomad keeping it...in top condition ! (except I have a bad lower back and broke my neck a few years ago, so cant do much stoop and bend...the spit shine on my Big Assed Bike suffers a bit as a result !)

I will never go to a bike with a belt or chain again...just gonna add..engineer..re-build the Nomad..to the bitter end !

...Welcome from The Sun Set Slope Of The High Sierra's

Old 08-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #9

I'm not a Nomad owner, but i am a 1700 owner. The 1700's are a very quirky engine, that has some...issues that need to be addressed. A vast majority of it is warranty work, but is a PIA anyways. I love my 1700, but I have been working on my own bikes as long as I can remember. If you aren't mechanical, or don't want to mess with the possibility of having to do some work to a new bike, I would stick with the 1600's. They are fuel injected, will last forever, and, I know this is going to hurt, IN MY OPINION, the best looking Nomad.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

Have you seen this one? Great great price! http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39087
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
Top Contributor

I would buy a 2005 or newer. I think Kawasaki are only obligated to provide parts for bikes up to 10 years old.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #12

And the gas tanks are a little smaller on the 99 to 01's, and some of them had a carb rather than Fuel injection. From 02 and up they are all very similar.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
2008 last year of the 1600 Nomad probably the best there is!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
I'm not a Nomad owner, but i am a 1700 owner. The 1700's are a very quirky engine, that has some...issues that need to be addressed. A vast majority of it is warranty work, but is a PIA anyways. I love my 1700, but I have been working on my own bikes as long as I can remember. If you aren't mechanical, or don't want to mess with the possibility of having to do some work to a new bike, I would stick with the 1600's. They are fuel injected, will last forever, and, I know this is going to hurt, IN MY OPINION, the best looking Nomad.
I own a 2010 Nomad 1700. Would you care to explain the quirky engine and what work the 1700 needs? The only issue that they had was on the 09-10 that was a factory recall for the ECU. That is replaced by Kawasaki at no charge.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #15

WOW! If the bikes are as impressive as the owners, I'm gonna love it when I own one.

Thanks so much for such great advice (and so quickly)!

By what you've told me, I think I'd actually prefer the ride height of the 09+, I'm only 5'8" now, but will stick to the '08s and older for the motor and look.
(I actually used to be 5'9-1/2" but I've got degenerative disc disorder so they've all shrunk a bit leaving me even shorter than I was...bummer! Lol)

I've learned that I shouldn't be worried about mileage if the bike was taken care of, and I'll probably want to change out the seat; I notice a lot of Mustang seats out there on customized bikes.

Gonna go check out that sale link...thanks!

(Thanks to all)