Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewalkman View Post
I've got an 03 1600, although the tach is a Korean job so I use it as a guide more than a fact!!!
Such pessimism.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #17
Top Contributor

I did not know they made 1600's in 03 ?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
I never shift into 5th until 65 mph
Same here, just sounds too low of an rpm to shift sooner

2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600
VBA #02525

Old 08-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #19

5 th gear is overdrive
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 AM   #20

I know you bloke's got wide open road's as apposed to our narrow country lane's, but my 1500 carb is just as happy burbling along at 40 mph in 5th, as it is at 80 mph, after that it get's busy, and could do with another gear

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I know you bloke's got wide open road's as apposed to our narrow country lane's, but my 1500 carb is just as happy burbling along at 40 mph in 5th, as it is at 80 mph, after that it get's busy, and could do with another gear
40 mph in 5th is really lugging it big time.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #22

Quote:
40 mph in 5th is really lugging it big time.
Not at all, it's what it was built for, it's a Vtwin, not a high revving, high compression, short stroke multi cylinder engine, the original poster was asking if 65 mph in 4th normal, well no it aint, it seems some people have as much idea about mechanic's as women do, maybe American's are so used to automatic car's that they dont understand what a gearbox is for,revving the shit out of an engine without any sympathy for the part's is not only going to shorten it's life, but it make's the rider look like a posing arsehole

Old 08-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #23

I just ride it where it feels the best.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Not at all, it's what it was built for, it's a Vtwin, not a high revving, high compression, short stroke multi cylinder engine, the original poster was asking if 65 mph in 4th normal, well no it aint, it seems some people have as much idea about mechanic's as women do, maybe American's are so used to automatic car's that they dont understand what a gearbox is for,revving the shit out of an engine without any sympathy for the part's is not only going to shorten it's life, but it make's the rider look like a posing arsehole
Take it easy mick..... my 1600 would buck and lurch at 40 in 5th gear it was lugging so bad. If you're happy so be it.
VBA #01084

"

Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Take it easy mick..... my 1600 would buck and lurch at 40 in 5th gear it was lugging so bad. If you're happy so be it.
Hey mate, no offence intended, but there must be something wrong your bike, mine is as sweet as you like just rumbling along at 40mph in top, in fact i can ride at 30mph and still the engine and drive gear aint stressed a bit. JUST THOUGHT, is the gearing higher on the 1600's ?

Last edited by mick56; 08-21-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I did not know they made 1600's in 03 ?
The 1600 classics came out in 2003.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Hey mate, no offence intended, but there must be something wrong your bike, mine is as sweet as you like just rumbling along at 40mph in top, in fact i can ride at 30mph and still the engine and drive gear aint stressed a bit. JUST THOUGHT, is the gearing higher on the 1600's ?
I guess you could be in 5th gear at 30mph as long as you're just maintaining a constant speed on a flat ground. Anytime you need to accelerate or go up a hill, etc. I'd have to imaging you'd need to down shift to do so without lugging. There are no roads that I cruise on at 30 mph. Generally that's a speed I'm in while in town and there fore I like to have the power on reserve if I need to get out of someones way.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I guess you could be in 5th gear at 30mph as long as you're just maintaining a constant speed on a flat ground. Anytime you need to accelerate or go up a hill, etc. I'd have to imaging you'd need to down shift to do so without lugging. There are no roads that I cruise on at 30 mph. Generally that's a speed I'm in while in town and there fore I like to have the power on reserve if I need to get out of someones way.
Yes your right, a change down is a good idea if i want to overtake something, but equally the bike is quite happy to gently accelerate from 30 mph in top, giving it a big handful would put a lot of unnecessary strain on the bottom end. We have road's in built up area's and outside school's ect, where 30mph is the speed limit, and my bike is quite happy to oblige in top gear, i did once pull away on tick over and go through the box without touching the throttle, that is what i call lugging.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #29

..Well I have to agree with Mick..After millions of miles of driving "Big Rig's"..and about every other thing that goes forward/backward...

The 'RULE OF THUMB" is...if your bike wont gain speed when you add throttle...shift down a gear...

After opening my air cleaner..a moderate amount..I gained -a gear- of low end power/torque (that I really didnt need to start with)....your altitude can make a big difference also...I notice that here in shakey land around sea level, my Big Assed Bike pulls at low rpm much stronger than at my brothers place in the Great Plains at around 3500 ft

Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #30

I have noticed a 5 MPG drop in fuel economy if I cruise in 4th at 50 MPH or so.

It may be smoother but, you'll pay.

Ever since I've left it in 5th above 50 as long as I'm not passing or climbing a hill.

Tags
gear position; gear