Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #46
Advanced Member

I run regular (87)
No problem since I installed the Dobeck TFI.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
70 mph = 2670 rpm

http://tinyurl.com/ovc2d5j

Great tool!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #48

..Well.. me-being known for story telling..and barfing up historical fact's...when it comes to octane and cyl pressures versus pulling at low rpm...you can research the history of Charles Lindbergh..who was banned for military service by the US gov during WWII (He had close friends inside the German Air Force at that time)..So he went to work as a Factory Tech Rep for Lockheed aircraft Co.and ended up in the south pacific ..flying P-38 Lightening's for the company..and showed the Army Air Corp's Pilots how to double the range of that plane by ...lower rpm..and a deeper blade angle on the prop's..(Lugging them)...bear in mind they were burning 130/145 octane aviation gasoline ! (tho not in the US Mliltary.."Its Said"..Lindbergh was credited with shooting down at least 4 Jap Fighters !)

Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Here's a thought, what sort of fuel do you bloke's run on, i use Shell V power its 99 RON,(research octane number) in the UK, i think the American market tolerate's a much lower rating, 91 RON and lower is acceptable over there i see. Maybe that's why some of you are struggling with low down torque, and engine's that are pinging and vibrating while trying to escape their mooring's, you are running you're bike's on horse piss
And high test 99 RON pony piss you lucky chaps are able to get in the UK costs you approx. $8.63 USD per gallon vs. approx. $3.65 USD in the USA, vs. $5.17 CAD =($4.76 USD) for 94 RON in Canada.
So I'll gladly run horse piss and drop a gear. Ca ching $$$

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
1999 HD Superglide Sport (SOLD)
2009 BMW F650GS

Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by toogun View Post
And high test 99 RON pony piss you lucky chaps are able to get in the UK costs you approx. $8.63 USD per gallon vs. approx. $3.65 USD in the USA, vs. $5.17 CAD =($4.76 USD) for 94 RON in Canada.
So I'll gladly run horse piss and drop a gear. Ca ching $$$
Sir,our petrol is 80%+ tax, God f--k the european union. I rode today at 50 mph in top, then knocked it down into 4th for a mile or so,so that i could imagine the world without mechanical knowledge. I have to say that i should have been arrested for mechanical cruelty. If you choose to rev the shit out of your bike for no good reason, then that sir,is your choice, but please dont encourage the more impressionable to do the same.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 08-29-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #51

..Took my Big assed Bike for a ride the other day..stopped along the way for a cheesebuger & +,

When I got the bike back in the barn...there was SOMETHING all over the front of the hard bag on the left side...

DANG..was it true that those high cyl pressures from my low rpm putta putta style had blown a gasket !...

I looked everywhere for a leak or a seep...nothing..naddah could be found...

I called my big brother half way across the nation...Big Bro I cried, I have a problem..maybe its anti-freeze ! ??... He says..Dont cry little bro..if its anti freeze it will taste sweet...so I swiped my finger thru the splash on the front of the hard bag...and tasted it ! ?? could not quite get it....so I did a bigger taste...OH YA... DOG PISS !
(I picked up at the burger joint while i was parked for lunch)--UGH..spit gag hack.pwetuew ...! Big Bro laughed til he was breathless ! (me )

Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #52

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 08-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..Took my Big assed Bike for a ride the other day..stopped along the way for a cheesebuger & +,

When I got the bike back in the barn...there was SOMETHING all over the front of the hard bag on the left side...

DANG..was it true that those high cyl pressures from my low rpm putta putta style had blown a gasket !...

I looked everywhere for a leak or a seep...nothing..naddah could be found...

I called my big brother half way across the nation...Big Bro I cried, I have a problem..maybe its anti-freeze ! ??... He says..Dont cry little bro..if its anti freeze it will taste sweet...so I swiped my finger thru the splash on the front of the hard bag...and tasted it ! ?? could not quite get it....so I did a bigger taste...OH YA... DOG PISS !
(I picked up at the burger joint while i was parked for lunch)--UGH..spit gag hack.pwetuew ...! Big Bro laughed til he was breathless ! (me )
Hey Sam, pour me one nipper

Old 08-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #54

Pouring one for you Mick..right after I pour several for me, to wash the taste outta my mouth...

..Once again i'm reminded of where "King Pin" was obligated to..stoop- to paying his rent !

Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Pouring one for you Mick..right after I pour several for me, to wash the taste outta my mouth...

..Once again i'm reminded of where "King Pin" was obligated to..stoop- to paying his rent !
Hey Sam, dont be a jackass, we got too many of them already., raise your glass mate, and i will do the same

Old 08-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Sir,our petrol is 80%+ tax, God f--k the european union. I rode today at 50 mph in top, then knocked it down into 4th for a mile or so,so that i could imagine the world without mechanical knowledge. I have to say that i should have been arrested for mechanical cruelty. If you choose to rev the shit out of your bike for no good reason, then that sir,is your choice, but please dont encourage the more impressionable to do the same.
You claim to be running 99 RON while the absolute highest available in North America is 94 (Ultra Premium), and most people are filling up with 89 (mid grade) or regular 87. The higher octane 99 would account for your ability to coax more power in a higher gear than the "horse piss" available on this side of the pond without having the engine sputter and knock.

Back in the 70's when we had Sunoco 260 which was 104-106 RON my little CB-500 Four went like a bat out of hell. If I had to use anything else it suffered noticeably. Hell even the CB350 was impressive with Sunoco 260.

So here's a thought, why not fill your tank 3/4 full with ordinary unleaded (94 RON) take a whizz in the tank after a nice cup of tea to top it up then go for a toot in 5th and let us know how you make out.

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
2009 BMW F650GS

Old 08-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #57

Quote:

Old 09-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by toogun View Post
You claim to be running 99 RON while the absolute highest available in North America is 94 (Ultra Premium), and most people are filling up with 89 (mid grade) or regular 87. The higher octane 99 would account for your ability to coax more power in a higher gear than the "horse piss" available on this side of the pond without having the engine sputter and knock.

Back in the 70's when we had Sunoco 260 which was 104-106 RON my little CB-500 Four went like a bat out of hell. If I had to use anything else it suffered noticeably. Hell even the CB350 was impressive with Sunoco 260.

So here's a thought, why not fill your tank 3/4 full with ordinary unleaded (94 RON) take a whizz in the tank after a nice cup of tea to top it up then go for a toot in 5th and let us know how you make out.
Now why do you think that i would possibly want to do that old chap?when i can quite comfortably run on proper petrol, whilst drinking as much tea as take's my fancy, all the while, tootleling along at 30mph with a relaxed engine, and still grinning at you monkey's who bombed the shit out of all the best oil you ever had a chance of stealing

Last edited by mick56; 09-05-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Now why do you think that i would possibly want to do that old chap?when i can quite comfortably run on proper petrol, whilst drinking as much tea as take's my fancy, all the while, tootleling along at 30mph with a relaxed engine, and still grinning at you monkey's who bombed the shit out of all the best oil you ever had a chance of stealing
So you can understand why the monkeys ride in a lower gear instead of bashing everyone that does.

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
2009 BMW F650GS

Tags
gear position; gear