Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 09-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #31

[QUOTE=Top Cat;596155]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post

So were the Indians, uumm, I mean the native Americans.
Should we all go back to England or where ever all the other races came from
Some should, like the one in the white house.
And I thought you didn't want to get into a pissin match
Can't we just all get along
I got to get to one on the rallies to meet you and Kawhead two of My favorite posters.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #32

Scott, sorry to hear about your illness. Sounds like your well on the way to recovery though...good. Sounds like its been a real pain in the azz...er...foot for you. Don't worry about those bugs on your bike. Soon as you get healthy enough to clean them off your gonna go riding and collect new batch anyhow.

As for hunting for the sake of killing, a lot of youths go thru that stage but anyone with character soon grows out of it. I gave up dove hunting because I don't like the taste of them and couldn't find anyone who did (taste like liver...yuk). Now Quail...that's a different story. I just love chasin' them little critters around the desert.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 09-13-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877 View Post
Ammo can be found at most well stocked sporting good stores. Cabela's stocks it but the cartridge is at its finest when it is handloaded to fit the situation. Brass can be obtained by using 270 or 30-06 brass.
DC
I've been kicking around the idea of reloading. I've got the M1 carbine and 9mm I'm shooting a lot now and thinking about a 243 or 223 bolt rifle. for target. it would be nice if there were reloding clubs a guy could join to learn the ropes but from what I've been reading most clubs fizzle out do to pilferage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
I've been kicking around the idea of reloading. I've got the M1 carbine and 9mm I'm shooting a lot now and thinking about a 243 or 223 bolt rifle. for target. it would be nice if there were reloding clubs a guy could join to learn the ropes but from what I've been reading most clubs fizzle out do to pilferage.

Best to find someone who has been reloading and having him or her work with you so you can learn the process. I have a couple of old Herters single station presses and a Dillon RL550. I use the Dillon for my handgun cartridges and the Herters for all my rifle cartridges. Have had a few people come over and learn how on my equipment. It can be pretty expensive to get setup. But as they say the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877 View Post
Best to find someone who has been reloading and having him or her work with you so you can learn the process. I have a couple of old Herters single station presses and a Dillon RL550. I use the Dillon for my handgun cartridges and the Herters for all my rifle cartridges. Have had a few people come over and learn how on my equipment. It can be pretty expensive to get setup. But as they say the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

DC
I mentioned earlier I've been out of the shooting sports for awhile and just got back into it. Been shopping for ammo and prices now are
jaw dropping. If a guy is going to be a regular shooter it would be worth it to get set up for reloading. Besides, I'm always looking for new hobbies.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #36

Finding reloading components isn't easy or cheap anymore. Primers and powder are still very hard to come by and the prices have gone thru the roof.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 09-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Damn Scott, I did not know. Sorry to hear and I hope you get well soon. Any chance that a hyperbaric chamber might help speed the healing?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #38

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
[QUOTE=plumber63;596158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

Some should, like the one in the white house.
And I thought you didn't want to get into a pissin match
Can't we just all get along
I got to get to one on the rallies to meet you and Kawhead two of My favorite posters.
I can say for as long as I've known Top Cat he avoids pissing contest at all cost.

"Live and Let Live" is the motto he lives by.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #39

Sam, I'd love to help hunt with a shotgun from an aircraft. That would be a kick in the pants.

Ponch, in case you have not figured it out Sam is shooting coyotes from a moving aircraft with that shotgun. I'll wager he can get pretty close.

Ammo is readily available for the 25-06. I'm stocking up while it is. For now I'll just buy the 120 gr JSP bullets to eliminate the confusion of where the scope is sighted in at.

Hard to believe that it is illegal to hunt coyotes anywhere in the USA. Massachusetts is a very odd state though.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
Troy, Please do not use my name in the same sentence with Kawheads
Better yet, I would appreciate it if you would not name us in the same post.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #41
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Sam, I'd love to help hunt with a shotgun from an aircraft. That would be a kick in the pants.

Ponch, in case you have not figured it out Sam is shooting coyotes from a moving aircraft with that shotgun. I'll wager he can get pretty close.

Ammo is readily available for the 25-06. I'm stocking up while it is. For now I'll just buy the 120 gr JSP bullets to eliminate the confusion of where the scope is sighted in at.

Hard to believe that it is illegal to hunt coyotes anywhere in the USA. Massachusetts is a very odd state though.
They are considered vermin here and they are all over the place. I've seen them on my street before. Javelina are a nuisance too, but the hunting of them is more restricted.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #42

CJ, I know you have a Savage 223 with a Nikon scope. If this Burris works as well as advertised I'm going to change out the Nikon on mine for the Burris C4. They have one with the turret dial set for the bullet drop of a 55gr factory load. You would just need a good rangefinder, dial it up on the turret and put the crosshairs on the dog. No more guessing about holdover or which reticle to use on the crosshair.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Troy, Please do not use my name in the same sentence with Kawheads
Better yet, I would appreciate it if you would not name us in the same post.
Wow after all the spiritual help mike has given you in the past, you diss him just like that Tim.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
CJ, I know you have a Savage 223 with a Nikon scope. If this Burris works as well as advertised I'm going to change out the Nikon on mine for the Burris C4. They have one with the turret dial set for the bullet drop of a 55gr factory load. You would just need a good rangefinder, dial it up on the turret and put the crosshairs on the dog. No more guessing about holdover or which reticle to use on the crosshair.
All you really need is a rangefinder. I sight my .30-06 in for a certain 0 and know the trajectory with max range without holdover. As long as I know the distance, I'll know what I have to do. That said I wouldn't shoot over 400 yards anyway. Not without a very good rest, but out west here shots can be real far if the hunter is up to the task. Sometimes I miss the woods of NY. :) My 444 isn't much use out here, but I like it better than my .30-06.

You might want to take a look at Nosler Custom Trophy ammo. I used it last year on an elk and mule deer hunt. Works well.

Nikon makes good scopes too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #45

Had Roast Javelina, Baked Sweet Potato, and other fixings..out on the desert, south east of Safford, Az, ...For Christmas Dinner 2009

Aint sayin how we got the pig !

Here in Lala Land just yesterday a Mt Lion attacked a 6 year old boy while he was in the company of several full grown males...they rushed the cat as he was dragging the boy away, and managed to get him to let go of the kid...
Today "Wildlife Authorities" shot the 2 yr old male lion ..still lurking only a 150 yards from where he ambushed the group..(DNA matched the saliva left on the boys shirt)

Last edited by Silent Sam; 09-14-2014 at 12:52 AM.