Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandreu View Post
"Keep in mind that we have someone in our highest office who left his homeland for a better life... look what he's done for America."

And what homeland might that be?
Indonesia

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #32

Ok, so we are all cool again. No more racist comments from me unless its poking fun at us WASPs. BTW, I dont even OWN a rebel flag!

CJ, that was hilarious!

2 white guys go into a bar... they get drunk and leave... HHAHAHAHAAH
Boy this non racist humor is harder than I thought!

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 11-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
The first person that has posted the correct term. Oriental is a term used by people in their 80's to describe the Asian race. It is politically correct but old. Asian is the correct term.

My wife is Asian and I don't find anything in the post offensive. I don't think that she would either. I do get a chuckle out of everyone debating it.
Did you miss post #23

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #34

No I didn't. Skimming through the posts. My neighbor's dog hit me in the glasses with a Kong ball on a rope. Have to get new ones tomorrow. Have a nice scuff mark that won't come out.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #35

Quote:
No I didn't. Skimming through the posts. My neighbor's dog hit me in the glasses with a Kong ball on a rope. Have to get new ones tomorrow. Have a nice scuff mark that won't come out.
Sorry, the visual of that made me laugh out loud.
Those Kong toys are super tough. I bought Rocky one 2 years ago and he still can't destroy it. He had a rawhide bone gone in 3 hours, a Frisbee in 15 min. and those bandanas the vet puts on him don't last the ride home.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

I thought the guy on the bike was underhanded of Harley, a subliminal message that riders of Asian bikes could feel at home on the new smaller liquid cooled rides. All these years of advertising that you're a badass biker if you own a model from Harley. And now they put this little guy on a liquid cooled small displacement ride. Kinda smacks of 'you meet the nicest people on a Honda'. JMO
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Keep in mind that we have someone in our highest office who left his homeland for a better life... look what he's done for America.
The rider's appearance (to me) does not scream HEY I'M AMERICAN buy this bike! Sorry if that's the truth but as much as people like to say I dont see colors or races, I see people, its a lie. How many times have you heard a black guy so Oh that white dude, or a white guy so Oh that asian dude.
My point is if I were in advertising I would put a Pakistani rider on a bike I was selling in PAKISTAN. Why put a hard core American biker on an ad and make it look like its a pipe dream that they cant have. Put someone they relate to on it. As much as people dont like sterotypes, to pretend they dont exist is assanine.
Wanna sell me a Harley in Alabama? Put a typical white guy riding back country roads and stopping for a beer now and then....then sell it at an affordable price!! You're in MN,. if someone were selling you a snowmobile would you want to see a picture of one sitting in a garage in Alabama, never being used?

I understand marketing, and you have a point to a degree; however these particular bike models are not marketed to the "hard-core" biker image you speak of. These models are being marketed to entirely different demographic -- thus your idea of marketing to the "biker" probably isn't a good idea.

I do know one thing for certain though... there are few companies that know their customer-base better than HD; or who have as effective marketing.

So... I would bet HD knows exactly what they are doing. Just a guess.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 11-06-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
The first person that has posted the correct term. Oriental is a term used by people in their 80's to describe the Asian race. It is politically correct but old. Asian is the correct term.

My wife is Asian and I don't find anything in the post offensive. I don't think that she would either. I do get a chuckle out of everyone debating it.
I'll also point out that asians aren't monolithic. They have their own biases that come out in language and other areas, Japanese/Korean for instance although the Japanese pissed off a lot of asians during WWII and in some places there are hard feeling still. So I wouldn't lump asians into one group where one might believe they look, act, speak and believe the same. They don't, just as there are differences between Germans, English, Italians and Americans.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #39

Final point from me on this...

The post by tynker stated, in no uncertain terms, the person on the bike was not American based on their race. There is no other interpretation of the post.

I would like to know how the hell he or anyone can tell whether someone is an American by their race?

Do you people claim to have some special talent to know whether someone is an American by looking at them?

It was a completely dumb-ass statement.

I'll be sure to send the thoughts of TC and Hollinger on the subject to all the Asian American vets to see how they take their comments... I can only guess they will not agree.

Geez...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 11-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #40
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I wouldn't lump asians into one group where one might believe they look, act, speak and believe the same. They don't, just as there are differences between Germans, English, Italians and Americans.
Same with "hispanics". I deal with a LOT of "hispanics" daily. Most (probably 95%) are Mexican. Most people would be surprised how pissed off the Cubans, Columbians, Equadorians (?), Guatamalans, etc get when they're either referred to as Mexicans or as hispanics. Most want to be called whatever country they're actually from. Every one of them (who are NOT Mexican) say how different they are. Sort of surprised me when I first heard the complaints as I was referring to all of them as hispanics (trying to be politically correct). The Mexicans get pretty pissed when they're compared to the TexMex. They don't feel they're equal to them and they (TexMex) are inferior to the "real" Mexicans. Now, I ask where they're from and try to refer to them as such.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post

The post by tynker stated, in no uncertain terms, the person on the bike was not American based on their race. There is no other interpretation of the post.

I would like to know how the hell he or anyone can tell whether someone is an American by their race?

Do you people claim to have some special talent to know whether someone is an American by looking at them?

It was a completely dumb-ass statement.

Geez...
Pretty much the way I see it. Since there have been Asian folks living in this country for hundreds of years, who is to say that the person on the bike doesn't have an "American" family lineage longer than people on here? And why should anyone care?

HD certainly knows how to market their products, and it appears to be a smart move to introduce a new product. The bikes look more like Yamahas than traditional Harleys, and the point is they are trying to get a younger and more diverse consumer to consider/buy their products. With these bikes, they have a better selection of starter cruiser style bikes than Kawasaki currently does...

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post
It's interesting that they show an Oriental, in the picture !! Nothing against them, but they are advertising an American bike, and should be a "different rider".
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
It was a completely dumb-ass statement.I'll be sure to send the thoughts of TC and Hollinger on the subject to all the Asian American vets to see how they take their comments... I can only guess they will not agree.

Geez...
Wow, here's the thing Greg, if it had been a white guy, oooops, I mean Caucasian on the bike and someone said they thought since the bike is being made in India they should show a "different rider" no one would have said anything about race.
This is what irks me, it depends on which race is making the comment whether it is considered racist or not.
If a African American calls me a "cracker" that's not racist. But if I call him anything but his name, it is.
Send my comments to who ever you want. I stand by my post. tynker was just making an observation on the marketing.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 11-07-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #43

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Wow, here's the thing Greg, if it had been a white guy, oooops, I mean Caucasian on the bike and someone said they thought since the bike is being made in India they should show a "different rider" no one would have said anything about race.
This is what irks me, it depends on which race is making the comment whether it is considered racist or not.
If a African American calls me a "cracker" that's not racist. But if I call him anything but his name, it is.
Send my comments to who ever you want. I stand by my post. tynker was just making an observation on the marketing.
Thats exactly my thoughts and what I stated in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
I agree. I don't think he was being hateful. If the rider were white and he suggested the the rider should have been Oriental, not an eye brow would have raised Leave him be.

"PC" sucks cat piss.
Had he used a derogatory or heinous term toward the guy, I would have called him out with the rest of you. I don't believe he said anymore than what was mentioned in the marketing meeting.

The reason things like this grind my gears is because I work for a big company that employs hundred of people where I'm a machine mechanic. About ten years ago we were told we could no longer use the terms for tools such as "JIG", "RIG" or "JERRY RIG" because some lame ass got their feelings hurt and filed a law suit against the company! Now I have worry that someday I might slip up and say "JERRY RIG" and some ass wagon with an attitude who's been looking for law suit to easy street will get me canned.

He said jerry rig, but he meant something else. Good grief!
So much for a hassle free harmonious work environment.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Most people would be surprised how pissed off the Cubans, Columbians, Equadorians (?), Guatamalans, etc get when they're either referred to as Mexicans
Can you fault them?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
He said jerry rig, but he meant something else. Good grief!
So much for a hassle free harmonious work environment.
I always thought it was "jury rig."

I'll have to look up jerry rig.