This thread is getting some mileage too

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #197
VBA Founder

My car tire impressions- for real

Good research Dan....we might want to carve things down to the meaty items that are informational. Can you summarize everything? After that, we'll look at moving this thread.

For blaneb and upside22..... take things offline and resolve your differences by PM. Let me know if you have a problem with that.

Trip

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #198

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

I'm really surprised you're getting the performance from it this early. My hats off to you on this one. I wouldn't take turns on one this early, and strongly suggest nobody else dose it either.

As I said before, when you get at least 500 miles on that tire and your gonna have a different tire and bike. The SP5000 is a great tire, I just wanted to try something different this time.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 05-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #199
Sr. Contributor

Kaw Head, Dan ain't getting it, he is making it happen. Dan just rides funny....

I can't wait for Dan and his new tire to get used to one another. That's when Trip will have some real problems LOL.

No doubt Dan will be pingin messages from the MOON

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #200

Question.
Why is it that when first putting on a CT you start out at a higher
pressure (35-40) then work your way down?

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #201

Hey guys, if I PO'ed somebody I'm sorry. I am trying to put forth information everyone can use.

Physics *is* a dry subject in text messages. It's a lot easier to draw pictures on a blackboard where you can show all the forces involved.

All I've been trying to say is that there *is* a reason for wider tires with more contact area. And it isn't for weight distribution because even lighter weight cars benefit from wider tires in both straight-ahead acceleration and centripetal acceleration. I don't know of a racer alive that doesn't know this. It *is* because rubber tires deform to assume the texture of the surface it is on, and not just at the microscopic scale. The deformities in any specific piece of road surface is a statistical function with some large deformities and some small deformities. A larger contact area has a higher statistical chance of coming into contact with more larger deformities thus providing more "grip" on the road.

It's one reason why an under-inflated tire with the center part of tire deformed away from the road surface provides less traction than a fully inflated tire during stops.

Consider this question: I've never actually weighed a rear motorcycle tire for a Nomad versus a car tire but I suspect that the car tire is heavier. That means a higher unsprung weight for the wheel assembly which the motorcycle suspension is not meant to properly handle (e.g. the rebound damping in the rear shocks may not properly handle a heaver wheel). This can cause the motorcycle tire to not stay in contact with a rough road surface as well as a lighter tire which will have an impact on the stopping distance on a rough road.

Has anyone actually tested this kind of performance between a car tire and a motorcycle tire? Say over the wakeup bumps on the shoulder of an interstate?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #202

While some of the debate on this thread is boring, the over all thread is very interesting and diffently Nomad related. More so than a lot of other threads. Moving it to the NNR board makes no sence at all. Just my 2 cents.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #203

I have read this thread with interest and a none biased opinion. I find the information you are showing us very interesting Dan, I flip through the physics information as it is way too boring. I like the pictures and the seat of the pants descriptions you have to offer. I have been waiting for the videos you promised and I look forward to the updates as you get more mileage on the tire. I like the fact that you don't like the tire and I am waiting to see if you move to the other side of the fence after a few miles on the tire. I you switched and liked it in the long run I may switch myself but right now I am skeptic, just as I think you may have been at first. I ride a lot miles and the money savings is intriguing. Please keep up the good work you are posting.

Thanks
David

Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmaster234
I have read this thread with interest and a none biased opinion. I find the information you are showing us very interesting Dan, I flip through the physics information as it is way too boring. I like the pictures and the seat of the pants descriptions you have to offer. I have been waiting for the videos you promised and I look forward to the updates as you get more mileage on the tire. I like the fact that you don't like the tire and I am waiting to see if you move to the other side of the fence after a few miles on the tire. I you switched and liked it in the long run I may switch myself but right now I am skeptic, just as I think you may have been at first. I ride a lot miles and the money savings is intriguing. Please keep up the good work you are posting.

Thanks
David

David, and others...

I looked at the video footage (all the still photos of the bike in motion were stills from the video) and you can't really see anything at speed. So I didn't put a video together.

I'm annoyed at this thread getting busted down here to the political debate forum, so I'll stop posting on this thread and start a new one in the proper forum when I have new information.

I'm going to be on my cross country car trip next week, so it'll be 2-3 weeks before I get any accumulation of miles on the tire to report back on.

One thing I was planning on doing was taking a high speed leaned over pass going by the camera. Some have thought that at parking lot practice speed, it puts a smaller footprint down than it does with the cornering forces at speed. So I'll figure out how to get a still from video of like a 30-40mph lean.

Watch for follow ups on the main board when I have something to report back. I'll let this thread die.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #205

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Kaw Head, Dan ain't getting it, he is making it happen. Dan just rides funny....

I can't wait for Dan and his new tire to get used to one another. That's when Trip will have some real problems LOL.

No doubt Dan will be pingin messages from the MOON
What the "H" you trying to do mac ??? Get us moved to the "Funny/Jokes Section" ??? All it takes is a key stroke, and BOOM.....thousands of lives are destroyed! They watchin' us so lay low for a while. When they turn their back then we'll start the evil mess again.

We consult you for pirate and motorbike fixin', see me 'bout sneaky.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead