Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #16

"Honey, don't tell my mom about the skateboard!"

OK, for comparison, this is identical (except for the artwork) to my first Hang Ten skateboard. Man I don't know how we rode those things, but at the time it was an amazing step forward in stability from a 2x4 with a broken roller skate nailed to the bottom. I think it cost my mom $6 in 1964. That was probably about the same amount you'd pay for a 20 lb ham, so maybe $35 in today's money.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
OK, for comparison, this is identical (except for the artwork) to my first Hang Ten skateboard. Man I don't know how we rode those things, but at the time it was an amazing step forward in stability from a 2x4 with a broken roller skate nailed to the bottom. I think it cost my mom $6 in 1964. That was probably about the same amount you'd pay for a 20 lb ham, so maybe $35 in today's money.

I think I had one just like that.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 AM   #18

Another thread I can't believe I even looked at, but what fun this is!

I'm all metal too and never got beyond. I started on and only had that Beezer model he described - similar to the one the Q posted as a picture (the little one).

I do think we may have been a part of the first skateboarders though. I rode through the wide-gapped sidewalks of a neighborhood called Kensington in East San Diego (CA). You could always recognize the other boarders - they often had one arm in a cast. That would have been in 1961....

BTW, I'm glad I stopped in here.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Valdez and I have something in common. Can't believe I opened this thread. I grew up in the boonies in Ohio on a dirt road. Don't even remember a skateboard in my consiousness at that time. Never been on one except to figure out that I should not be on one. More power to you guys. Just be careful, falls at our age can do a lot of damage. That is why I don't roller skate anymore. Grandkids want me to but the last time took way too long for my wrist to get back to normal. That's another story.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #20

I went from metal wheels to urethane wheels in 5th grade. I wanted a new skate board for my 10th birthday bad, and got it. Bright yellow plastic one with the word banana in it.

I was 1 of only 2 kids with a skate board in 5th grade (wasn't California :) )

Was kind of fun seeing the photo Cadd put up. Can pull the sound of those wheels rolling on my cement driveway up no problem 35 years later.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
My paper route was the Duluth Air Force Base. Sometimes I got to ride my bike, but often I used a toboggan.

This is the new Sector-9 Uluwatu, 46" laminated bamboo. What a difference from when we were kids, huh?

(My boss had to jump on it and remark about how this was a total midlife crisis thing--like the Nomad wasn't a tip off. ;) )

You been drinkin Captain Morgan at work again CQ? It's a dead give away ya know ;)

Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #22

Quote:
You been drinkin Captain Morgan at work again CQ? It's a dead give away ya know ;)
Again ! ? ! ? CQ knows....
The best way to keep from falling off the wagon is to NEVER GET ON IT in the first place ! ! ! ! !

Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #23

Beezer,
That's hysterical.

Cadd,
Nice Longboard. As a kid I had a plastic board with plastic wheels. I never got really good at riding it except when my brothers and I would take a jump rope and tie it to a bike. We'd fight over who was pulled and who got to ride...usually the one riding would do everything they could to throw the pullee!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #24
VBA Founder

Notice the little orb right next to the back wheel. Cadd's got ghosts following him now.

OK...so let's all post our office pic on the thread........LOL.

Yeah, I've been drinkin' Capt Morgan....what about it?

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Notice the little orb right next to the back wheel. Cadd's got ghosts following him now.

OK...so let's all post our office pic on the thread........LOL.

Yeah, I've been drinkin' Capt Morgan....what about it?

Nice computer background :)

Old 08-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #26

Old 08-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #27

LOL....love that pic of you asleep at your desk!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Sleep??? No way he's enjoying some wicked flashbacks ;)

Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #29

Ahhhhh...i see.....carry on Valdez!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #30

I'm not a big fan of rum myself. I've been known to keep vodka at the office, but only for medicinal purposes.

I don't know if skating takes a better sense of balance than motorcycling, but it's different. I can rollerskate too, but I cannot ice skate. I'm not sure why either. I don't ski. I don't water ski either, but I can ride a surfboard. My problem with surfing is that I can't see beans without my glasses. Also I live 3 hours from the ocean.

For those of you that do/did skateboard, this new longboard is a real revelation in what skateboards can be. I'm pretty sure it violates the laws of thermodynamics. I seem to get more motion out of it than I put in.