Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Christmas is Alive!

This happened on October 30th at Macy's in Philadelphia ......650 vocalists who, unknown to shoppers, had arranged to burst into song at noon.

What a thrill to watch reactions of the shoppers and listen. You’ll be blessed. I surely was.

Look at all the happy faces on the shoppers .......I think you'll enjoy this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/video/106492678.html

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Christmas is Alive!

Very nice BD. Didn't know that you were the opera type???
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Christmas is Alive!

oh Joel............. ::)

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Christmas is Alive!

Sounded kind of wimpy to me. Like they didn't really want to participate or be there. I think they were all on drugs. Crazy people in Philly.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #5

Christmas is Alive!

That was cool... ;)

Pay no attention to Loafer... he is having one of his 1960's flash-backs!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #6

Christmas is Alive!

Pretty neat! There was something very similar done at a train station in Europe a while ago, it really throws people for a loop when it starts happening.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #7

Christmas is Alive!

Gotta love Handel. One of my favorite compositions that has stood the test of time. I found this interesting:

"In a small London house on Brook Street , a servant arranges a tray full of food. For more than a week, he has faithfully continued to wait on his employer, an eccentric composer, who spends hour after hour isolated in his own room. morning, noon, and evening the servant delivers meals to the composer and returns later to find the food untouched.

Once again, he forces himself to go through the same routine, complaining under his breath about the strange behavior of musicians. As he swings open the door to the composer’s room, the servant stops in his tracks.

The startled composer, tears streaming down his face, turns to his servant and cries out, “I did think I did see all Heaven before me, and the great God Himself.” George Frederic Handel had just finished writing a movement that would take its place in history as the Hallelujah Chorus.

Although Handel wrote his greatest music in England , he suffered personal setbacks there as well. He fell in and out of favor with changing governments, competing with established English composers, and dealing with hard-to-please audiences he found himself bankrupt.

Audiences for Handel’s music were unpredictable, and the Church of England attacked him for what they considered his practice of writing biblical music to be performed in secular theaters. Handel drove himself to recover from one failure after another, and finally his health began to fail. By 1741 he was swimming in debt. It seemed certain he would land in debtor’s prison.

On April 8 of that year, he gave what he considered his farewell concert. Miserably discouraged, he felt forced to retire from public activities at the age of fifty-six. Then two unforeseen events changed his life. A wealthy friend, Charles Jensen, gave Handel a libretto based on the life of Christ, taken entirely from the bible. He also received a commission from Dublin charity to compose work for a benefit performance.

Handel set to work composing on August 22 in his little house on Brook Street in London . He grew so absorbed in the work that he rarely left his room, hardly stopping to eat. Within six days part one was complete. In nine days more he had finished part two, and in another six, part three. In all 260 pages of manuscript were filled in the remarkable short time of 24 days.

Messiah premiered on April 13, 1742 as a charitable benefit, raising 400 pounds and freeing 142 men from debtor’s prison. A year later, Handel would perform his masterpiece in London . Controversy coming from the Church of England continued to plague Handel, yet the King of England attended the performance. As the first notes of the triumphant Hallelujah Chorus rang out, the king rose. Following the royal protocol, the entire audience stood too, initiating a tradition that has lasted more than two centuries.

The climax of this masterpiece is taken from Isaiah 40:5,

“The glory of the LORD shall be revealed, And all flesh shall see it together; For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”"

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Christmas is Alive!

I enjoyed that Daryl.... thanks!

Member # 0005

Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #9

Christmas is Alive!

Thanks Daryl...

Sometimes history escapes people; which is too bad; because the time-present is so much more vibrant with the knowledge of it. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Christmas is Alive!

Thanks Brad and Daryl I loved the singing and the story. Cheered my heart. Thanks.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181