Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Luggage Space

Since we have the extra bags, do you find yourself carrying a lot more than you really need?

I do. When I go to work, I usally have my laptop strapped on the seat , have a Riggs Pack roll bag on the rack, carry my rain suit, extra gloves, jacket, chaps, and just a lot of other junk. A guy that works for has a Suzuki M109 and sometimes he wears a backpack but if we go somewhere together he always wants me to carry stuff for him. Sure is nice to have a bike we can do that on.

Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Luggage Space

I have a trunk and carry quite a bit of stuff in that: beaded seat cover, sunglasses, cleaning towels, gloves, etc. I keep one of my saddlebags empty so I can carry my soft briefcase when I ride to work. My other bag has a small first aid kit, Cruz Tools kit, Slime air compressor, and a tire plugging kit. When needed, I throw my rain gear in, but I've used my rain gear once in a year and a half.

I have a buddy with an 07 HD Softail Deuce. I usually carry his gear for him when we ride together because he has no bags.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Luggage Space

I love the saddlebags on this bike:) I can actually put my laptop inside the saddlebags, carry an additional tool bag, insurance paperwork, rain gear, bike cover, gloves etc...

what else would ya'll recommend for a weekend rally? Say 3-5 days worth???

Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Luggage Space

A tour pack is always nice. Before I bought my trunk, I bought a Cobra luggage rack and a T-Bags Tahoe expandable pack. That's what I hauled my stuff in when I went to the Mesquite rally.

After the Mesquite rally, I rode on up I-15 to Salt Lake City and spent a few days. It was there that I decided I wanted a trailer to haul my stuff and built one after I returned home. Now, if I am going to be on the road for more than a couple of days, I'll use the trailer.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #5

Luggage Space

I can go a week out on the road while camping and having to pack all of that gear too, no problem by myself.

If I go with my wife and we stay in Hotels, We can go no problem with just the bags (didn't have a rack).

Can carry my work brief case and ride it to work.

Can grocery shop and get an incredible amount of shopping in both bags.

But you can't camp with two people on it. For that you would need a trailer like Cactus has.

I carry a collapsible canvas tool bag in the right bag with a handful of tools. It vibrates itself down a a very small space and pretty flat on the floor of the bag. It just stays there all the time. It vibrates itself so flat I don't even notice it when I'm loading other things.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #6

Luggage Space

I love having the storage. My left saddle bag has a shelf which holds my gloves, extra sunglasses, clear night glasses & kickstand pad. Under the shelf is cold weather gloves & rain gear. I keep my right saddle bag open for my laptop when I ride to work, and otherwise my leather jacket goes there when on rides after it warms up, along with my half helmet when I'm away from the bike. Trunk houses my 3.5 gallon aux fuel tank, but still has room for my tools (which I keep in two zippered microphone bags) extra quart of oil, zero loss pump, face shield in protective bag and usually a couple bottles of water. When I take a longer trip I have a T-Bag strapped to the passenger seat since I usually ride solo. Do I carry too much stuff? Probably, but I like knowing I can jump on the bike and take off at any time with everything I need already on board.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #7

Luggage Space

Good post Zoom. I was wondering what everyone packed too. I just bought a tour pak as well and am wondering if I am really going to need it...or just fill it up "just in case".

Here is what I carried without the tour pak when doing a trip.

Basic emergency tool kit in side cover
Spare headlight bulb + extra key+flashlight
tire repair kit + allen wrench set
A couple days worth of clothes (figuring I could always wash them)
Rain suit
Bath bag
Hiking shoes
Hat + mask
Couple Extra Under Armor turtle necks + long johns (for higher elevation)
Gauntlet gloves
A few packets of "Hot Hands"

I carry a garage door opener and sunglasses in my windshield bag.

The above filled the bags pretty good. I bought the tour pak thinking I want to start bringing a half helmet along as well as a cheap bike cover and maybe a new beaded seat. It also helps to have a little extra space in case you find some Nomad bling to buy along the way.

Ocassionally I will take my MC jacket off (has armor in it) when it is real hot...so I need to have room for that if needed. I guess I could always strap it to the luggage rack I don't have yet.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #8

Luggage Space

Schoeney, you'll use and enjoy the tour-pac. Especially on long trips. We picked up the T-bag, route 66 and top roll bag, in preparation for a tirp to Missouri and a week and a half stay. Between that and the bags, you can take all you want and need.

We don't always ride w/ helmets, but passing through states that require same, it's good to have a place to store them.

Of course, when not traveling, it's easy off with the pac and back in the wind.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #9

Luggage Space

Showing my ignorance here, but -- tour pac? Whazzat? Some Harley gizmo? And does it need a luggage rack to mount?
VBA #00794
2011 Vaquero (Ebony)
replaced 2008 Nomad 1600 (Blue/Silver)

Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #10

Luggage Space

Have stuff will travel is my moto :)

Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #11

Luggage Space

If my wife had her way we would tow the trailer everywhere we go. I think she believes if you have some extra room you have to fill it up. The trailer is kind of a pain since it's harder to park and you have to be extra careful not to hang it on something. If we go on a long trip and stay a couple of nights we can always drop the trailer at the hotel to go riding in the middle of the day. I also don't like leaving the tour pack on the backrest if you will be away from the bike for a long time. It just seems like somebody would go through the bag or take the whole thing if it's unattended. So far I never noticed anything missing. Most short trips I just take the roll bag on the backrest or my homemade box slid into the trailer hitch.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #12

Luggage Space

Bear bait:

Here is a link...several brands and styles

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Crui...ks-Luggage.htm
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #13

Luggage Space

Sometimes I think I carry too much stuff. These are the things that stay on the bike:

2 rainsuits (His 'n hers)
Spare set of glasses w/interchangable lenses.
gloves for different temps in winter
Slime air compressor
Stop-n-go plug kit
craftsman wrenches
allen wrenches
small 3/8 socket set
His 'n Her face shields
surefire flashlight
tire gauge
small first aid kit
A small bag of my wife's "essentials"

These keep the saddlebags 1/2 to 2/3 full

Good thing I'm adding a trunk

Old 02-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Luggage Space

i've seen several posts in here wher saddlebag shelves have been installed...anyone got any poor man shelves and how they did it?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #15

Luggage Space

shucks course you can camp without a trailer, last summer I carried a tent two folding chairs two sleeping backs two pads, two camping pillows, one change of clothing and toiletries, and a case of beer on my bike

so there LOL