Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #1

Nomad Trike

I don't see where any trike manufacturer has designed a trike kit for the Nomad. The only thing available is the Insta-Trike or the MTC Voyager.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these bolt on kits?
What's your opinion of them?
What's it like to drive them?
I know all the tricycle, training wheel jokes so take it easy ok. I'm sure I'm not the only one contemplating this by looking at the age brackets for Nomad riders. What say You!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #2

Nomad Trike

Dano is converting his........ check his posts!!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #3

Nomad Trike

My opinion is the insta-trike is butt ugly. To freekin' wide.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #4

Nomad Trike

I've had a mtc for three years. Bolted it up one night, and learned how to ride the next day, on a 7.5hr trip to Charleston, S.C.. I've had it off and rode one time since, put it back on in 10 min, haven't took it off since. Great for heavy stop and go traffic, and especially for lock it up brakeing. Saved my butt a few times. The thing I don't like is, that it makes it hard to get in the bags. If we had top lid bags, it would be no sweat. All in all, I'm keeping it.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #5

Nomad Trike

Quote:
My opinion is the insta-trike is butt ugly. To freekin' wide.

Kind like BD ugly?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #6

Nomad Trike

Take this with a grain of salt if any of you like trikes, but......

To me motorcycles turned into trikes look like the walkers that some people shuffle around with.

But if you do need help keeping a bike up, classic styled side cars look awesome, without the geriatric walker look.

Just my opinion, other opinions may vary, and that's alright :)

Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #7

Nomad Trike

Rode my bro-in-law's trike (Suzuki version) and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had on less than 4 wheels. Did not want to turn, didn't feel all that stable going straight, unstable in turns, as wide as a cage, although, it does look like you are on a MC when looking forward. Then there was the time on Red Mt Pass where we came up on a couple, him on a bike and her on trike going about 3 mph through the curves because she could barely get through them and was terrified. The bro-in-law once wrecked a bike bad and thinks the large rear tires on the trike (he runs auto racing slicks) are the key to stopping, unfortunately, the weight comes off them too. Trikes are really great when stopped, and really need a reverse gear. Just my observations.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #8

Nomad Trike

http://www.tow-pacinc.com/Home%20Page%201.htm

Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Nomad Trike

Quote:
Rode my bro-in-law's trike (Suzuki version) and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had on less than 4 wheels. Did not want to turn, didn't feel all that stable going straight, unstable in turns, as wide as a cage, although, it does look like you are on a MC when looking forward. Then there was the time on Red Mt Pass where we came up on a couple, him on a bike and her on trike going about 3 mph through the curves because she could barely get through them and was terrified. The bro-in-law once wrecked a bike bad and thinks the large rear tires on the trike (he runs auto racing slicks) are the key to stopping, unfortunately, the weight comes off them too. Trikes are really great when stopped, and really need a reverse gear. Just my observations.
I haven't ridden a trike since riding a 3 wheeled ATV 25 years ago, but I'd be willing to bet a "motortrike" is a whole different animal. I'm just guessing, but I imagine they are hard to keep in a straight line, especially at first. Probably a pretty steep learning curve until you get used to one.

I saw a guy on a Harley insta-trike on Sunday. Never noticed one before, it looked odd. My wife was with me and I said "do you notice anything different about that", meaning the fact it had 4 wheels. I guess she isn't that observant because I had to point it out to her.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #10

Nomad Trike

I once saw a Goldwing at a gas stop with a guy in his 80's on it. At low speeds, like under 5-10mph he had a set of trike like wheels that came down, when he left again, they raised up out of the way once he got moving.

That might be the best of both worlds for those that need them.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #11

Nomad Trike

Quote:
I once saw a Goldwing at a gas stop with a guy in his 80's on it. At low speeds, like under 5-10mph he had a set of trike like wheels that came down, when he left again, they raised up out of the way once he got moving.

For reals?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #12

Nomad Trike

Quote:
[quote:x0wme0kh]I once saw a Goldwing at a gas stop with a guy in his 80's on it. At low speeds, like under 5-10mph he had a set of trike like wheels that came down, when he left again, they raised up out of the way once he got moving.

For reals?[/quote:x0wme0kh]

Only saw them that once, but yup, not kidding.

He pushed a button that lowered them, pushed it again to raise them up once under way.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #13

Nomad Trike

Quote:

Can you imagine trying to countersteer into a corner if you forgot to raise the training wheels I think you would go straight, right ???
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to trevwales
Nomad Trike

http://www.safetyfeatures.com/ wierd!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #15

Nomad Trike

Thanks trevwales , I guess that answers my question :)
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]