Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #91

Well almost 2 weeks ago ATGATT saved my ass ( really) even went to a full face helmet this year and wouldn't you know it , Yep landed face first and slip down the highway as I was told, ( don't actually remember). Six broken ribs , punctured lung and a concusion. Next to no Road rash :):) Dress for the slide not the ride !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #92
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
When you say "the bike went down" do you mean the bike did it by itself or YOU laid it down on purpose? there is a big difference.
No sane person lays a bike down on purpose. you lose control and slide. If someone does this on purpose, they are giving up control and being on the ground with 4000+Lb vehicles running around is less than ideal.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
No sane person lays a bike down on purpose. you lose control and slide. If someone does this on purpose, they are giving up control and being on the ground with 4000+Lb vehicles running around is less than ideal.
That's exactly why I asked.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #94

NEVER lay a motorcycle down by choice!!! ! You give up all control and stopping power!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #95

This subject has been beat to death many times before on many different forums over the years...

It remains conclusive by the "experts" that "laying a bike down" is not the preferred method of entering into a crash.

The fact remains, that while some will claim they "laid the bike-down", they likely do not have the skill to do that -- especially a 900lb. bike. Doing so requires a lot of maneuvering and braking to position a large bike in a controlled "lay-down".

It appears, more often than not, that anyone claiming to have "laid a bike down" has done so without intention (or skill); but rather through a series of mistakes in controlling the bike.

Typically, it is caused by over-braking (especially the rear-brake), thus causing the bike to slip sideways into a parallel position to the ground. Over-steering, obviously, can also be a factor -- although improper braking appears to be the biggest culprit.

Repeatedly, all advanced courses suggest keeping a bike upright while applying as much braking-power as possible as you enter into a crash (using the front-brake more than the rear; but not exclusively). Apparently the results of doing so provides better odds of survival, and with less injury than if one were to slide into a crash.

One could argue with the "experts" on this subject (if they care to); however it is likely experts are not in the business of providing mis-information to their students; especially when accident records, and testing appear to support their view (of not laying a bike down).

In reviewing motorcycle accident records, there is always the factor of the motorcyclist being in the wrong to some degree. In other words, one needs to keep control of their vehicle at all times, and avoid situations that would not allow them to do so. While it is nearly impossible to ride in such "pristine" conditions... this statement does hold weight in that too many motorcyclists simply do not pay enough attention to their surroundings when riding. (Riding to close behind vehicles; riding too fast where crossroads exist; riding too fast to maneuver the road surface and curves; and on and on...)

So while I hope everyone enjoys a lifetime of accident-free riding... the odds are against you to do so. If you find yourself becoming a statistic, then don't lay your bike down (intentional or unintentionally).

It is to everyone's benefit to take an advanced rider's course to learn many advanced techniques of riding, to include high-speed stops. If you are riding without this type of training, you are taking one hell of a chance with your life, in my opinion.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by glwilson; 06-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #96

It is to everyone's benefit to take an advanced rider's course to learn many advanced techniques of riding, to include high-speed stops. If you are riding without this type of training, you are taking one hell of a chance with your life, in my opinion. Couldn't agree more :) I think it saved me , when a turn from nowhere there was a deer running straight at my left front!! I was at a lean at the time and my training took over, Straightened up the bike and hit both breaks Hard!!! Still hit the deer but with about a 6foot skid mark on the pavement it must have slowed me down alot. Oh and yes my riding of motorcycles is over!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Oh and yes my riding of motorcycles is over!
You are going to quit riding?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #98

Yes, he said in another thread he is not going to ride any more.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #99
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
You are going to quit riding?
I hope he doesn't get in a car accident, or he's going to have to start riding a horse.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #100
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I hope he doesn't get in a car accident, or he's going to have to start riding a horse.
Or a tricycle.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #101

No more bikes for me! Not worth the pain and what I put my family through! oh and I gave up riding horses years ago LOL

Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #102
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
No more bikes for me! Not worth the pain and what I put my family through! oh and I gave up riding horses years ago LOL
If you feel it is the right decision, than that's what it is. Good luck to you!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Or hit his head on the headboard during, awe, never mind

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I agree with Ponch, you don't choose to lay the bike down. If you lay one down it is usually due to some mistake by the rider. However your reaction as the bike goes down can prevent a lot of injury.
The last time when I was broadsided I was pulling my leg up on that side and got it high enough it didn't get smashed.
The time I was signaling making a right hand turn when an old man ran the light, I was in the middle of a turn and ended up in the middle of a ten foot mud puddle as I avoid the car and slowed the bike it started down. My girlfriend and I both manage to step of the bike at the last second before it dropped. It was down to 5 mph by then and by just putting our feet down and standing up the bike slid clear.
On the first bike I owned it was a left curve and the bike skidded and dropped on the right. Throw me over the handle bars and landed on my feet first and then my hands and crab walked it out.
The one in Bartlesville the bike laid down on my leg and I just tried to relax. I ended up rolling on my side, a complete 360, just like I was in bed. While I was face down the bike slid completely off of me.
I was extremely lucky and Blessed by God in all of these cases. The most important thing in all wrecks is to stay relaxed, you never know when some stupid trick you learned as a kid will save your butt, you already are crashing, give that brain flash a try.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #105
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouson View Post
I agree with Ponch, you don't choose to lay the bike down. If you lay one down it is usually due to some mistake by the rider. However your reaction as the bike goes down can prevent a lot of injury.
The last time when I was broadsided I was pulling my leg up on that side and got it high enough it didn't get smashed.
The time I was signaling making a right hand turn when an old man ran the light, I was in the middle of a turn and ended up in the middle of a ten foot mud puddle as I avoid the car and slowed the bike it started down. My girlfriend and I both manage to step of the bike at the last second before it dropped. It was down to 5 mph by then and by just putting our feet down and standing up the bike slid clear.
On the first bike I owned it was a left curve and the bike skidded and dropped on the right. Throw me over the handle bars and landed on my feet first and then my hands and crab walked it out.
The one in Bartlesville the bike laid down on my leg and I just tried to relax. I ended up rolling on my side, a complete 360, just like I was in bed. While I was face down the bike slid completely off of me.
I was extremely lucky and Blessed by God in all of these cases. The most important thing in all wrecks is to stay relaxed, you never know when some stupid trick you learned as a kid will save your butt, you already are crashing, give that brain flash a try.
I count 4 wrecks...you must have really lousy luck.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17