Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen S View Post
The ejk works, simple install, simple setup. The k&n filter is another improvement. With the v&h slip on exhaust... Yep, love it. I used the settings on the ejk that Ken worked out, bike pulls hard and better mpg(thanks again Ken). One other thing I plan on doing is Ray's throttle mod. Every one speaks highly of it. So far I've been impressed with the vaquero, rides great. Hope it last many miles.
Awesome thanks. It will be a slowly working progress to get it figured out the way I want it. I had my Monster done up the way I wanted, now this beast hahaha. I will definitely get the Ray throttle mod, go from there with the klock werkes flare 8" shield, debaffling, EJK, K&N element only, possible Don Myer bars and finally, rear shocks upgrade. In due time...not all at once though :)
Afterburner 4500LM LED headlamp
Ivan's Performance
12 VDC plug-in
BAK Thunder mfg.
Cobra Tri-Flo
2011 Ducati Monster 796
2006 GSXR 600 (track bike)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #62

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I recently moved from a sport-tourer to a Voyager. I had used PowerCommanders on my last two bikes but always felt they were difficult to tune, even with canned maps....and very expensive. Was recently turned onto the EJK by Dobeck Performance. After doing quite a bit of reading on the various forums, it would appear the EJK is the overwhelming fuel processor of choice for a few reasons, not the least of which are ease of installation, ease of tuning, and affordability. I'll be ordering one this week as the long, brutal, and seemingly never-ending winter here in Chicago has appeared to have FINALLY ended. So far I've modified the intake and will be modifying the exhaust soon. I have to replace the tank as a self-inflicted dent is driving me crazy so I'll add the EJK at the same time.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #63
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc796canada View Post
Awesome thanks. It will be a slowly working progress to get it figured out the way I want it. I had my Monster done up the way I wanted, now this beast hahaha. I will definitely get the Ray throttle mod, go from there with the klock werkes flare 8" shield, debaffling, EJK, K&N element only, possible Don Myer bars and finally, rear shocks upgrade. In due time...not all at once though :)
Funny thing Allen, is this weekend , I know I said I was done screwing with settings, I changed to the recommended settings the EJK came with. Moved green/blue setting to 5.5 and man, barely a decel pop. I am leaving that on for a while till I get a BAK...

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Funny thing Allen, is this weekend , I know I said I was done screwing with settings, I changed to the recommended settings the EJK came with. Moved green/blue setting to 5.5 and man, barely a decel pop. I am leaving that on for a while till I get a BAK...
I'll give it a try. I get a few pops at around 1600 rpm's when I roll off the throttle..nothing major but have had a loud one once or twice. I appreciate you passing on the info. I'm sure if it worked on your's it'll work on mine. Glad I put the ejk on.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #65
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen S View Post
I'll give it a try. I get a few pops at around 1600 rpm's when I roll off the throttle..nothing major but have had a loud one once or twice. I appreciate you passing on the info. I'm sure if it worked on your's it'll work on mine. Glad I put the ejk on.
I am very happy with it. Being that I am so close to sea level and the air is more dense than lets say someone in Denver, I can use the base settings and wont run lean at stock fuel off idle. I think the fuel is burning more efficiently instaead of adding fuel off idle with a green blue setting of .5 but who knows I will find some reason to screw around with the EJK again..lol. My pops are always between 2100 qnd 1900 RPM when the throttle is completely closed.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #66

It is that AIS causing the pops. The Yamaha R1 and R6 have a block off plate, that being said, they are also a RBW throttle.
Afterburner 4500LM LED headlamp
Ivan's Performance
12 VDC plug-in
BAK Thunder mfg.
Cobra Tri-Flo
2011 Ducati Monster 796
2006 GSXR 600 (track bike)

Old 03-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #67

EJK Connection Problem

The weather finally cooperated here and I spent the last two days installing all the goodies that had collected during the cold spell. I put on the FP exhaust, Chuckster's BAK, EJK, Auxiliary Fuse Box, additional running lights and turn signal combo and still have to do the Wolo horn. All was good. I nearly had an orgasm when I turn the bike on. That FP exhaust sounds awesome. I quickly turned it off right away though when I realized I hadn't cleaned the chrome and didn't want to blemish the chrome. Just needed to hear it. The sound is so much better than the Cobras I had on my Nomad. . I'll deal with the popping, if any, when the time comes.

One issue though is the EJK connection. I mounted it under the seat on the fender close to the bracket where the seat locks in. The ground wire I connected to the accessory ground near the battery terminals. I connected the injectors as instructed. From what I read, there is no difference which connection goes where. I turned it on after install just to see if it had power before I put the tank back and got one green and one red flashing light which I guess indicates a connection problem. I figured it was due to the fuel pump not being connected. After I reinstalled the tank and got everything connected, I still got the red and green flashing light (only the one at each end of the EJK was flashing). It was too late and dark to go any further so I plan to call Dobeck tomorrow for ideas and take the tank off tomorrow after work and check the injector connections. These is not much room there for all the wiring and I zip tied them into a big bundle. Maybe I accidentally disconnected something or pulled too hard on a wire. Anyone else had this and solved it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's a 2014 Vaquero. I also figured out that it's a CA model since it had the two vents at the back of the tank (one on each side) and I found the canister while installing the exhaust bracket. Not a big deal as it only has the cansiter for the extra vent which seems to be worthless addition. But whatever . Another thing that is different though is the front turn signal wiring. My model has three wires going to the turn signals. One for running lights which are a lower intensity and one for the turn signal which is brighter. The 49 state model has only two wires which I guess means that those don't have running lights or both running and turn are equally bright?? Be interested to know the answer. At least I'm now looking at the right wiring diagrams....LOL.

Anyway sorry about the essay but any thoughts would be appreciated..

Thanks

PS. I did find this right after I posted my essay...LOL

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...9&postcount=13

I definitely did not touch the throttle since I was worried about the pipes getting hot and blemished. So I'll clean the pipes and try again tomorrow. Maybe it's as simple as that...

Update: Yup, that's what it was. Looks like it is working...

Last edited by kpmhspirit; 03-23-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #68
Advanced Member

The bike has to be started, not just have the key in the on position. That is probably why you had the green and red LED. Indicates no injector signal.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
The weather finally cooperated here and I spent the last two days installing all the goodies that had collected during the cold spell. I put on the FP exhaust, Chuckster's BAK, EJK, Auxiliary Fuse Box, additional running lights and turn signal combo and still have to do the Wolo horn. All was good. I nearly had an orgasm when I turn the bike on. That FP exhaust sounds awesome. I quickly turned it off right away though when I realized I hadn't cleaned the chrome and didn't want to blemish the chrome. Just needed to hear it. The sound is so much better than the Cobras I had on my Nomad. I'll deal with the popping, if any, when the time comes.

One issue though is the EJK connection. I mounted it under the seat on the fender close to the bracket where the seat locks in. The ground wire I connected to the accessory ground near the battery terminals. I connected the injectors as instructed. From what I read, there is no difference which connection goes where. I turned it on after install just to see if it had power before I put the tank back and got one green and one red flashing light which I guess indicates a connection problem. I figured it was due to the fuel pump not being connected. After I reinstalled the tank and got everything connected, I still got the red and green flashing light (only the one at each end of the EJK was flashing). It was too late and dark to go any further so I plan to call Dobeck tomorrow for ideas and take the tank off tomorrow after work and check the injector connections. These is not much room there for all the wiring and I zip tied them into a big bundle. Maybe I accidentally disconnected something or pulled too hard on a wire. Anyone else had this and solved it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's a 2014 Vaquero. I also figured out that it's a CA model since it had the two vents at the back of the tank (one on each side) and I found the canister while installing the exhaust bracket. Not a big deal as it only has the cansiter for the extra vent which seems to be worthless addition. But whatever . Another thing that is different though is the front turn signal wiring. My model has three wires going to the turn signals. One for running lights which are a lower intensity and one for the turn signal which is brighter. The 49 state model has only two wires which I guess means that those don't have running lights or both running and turn are equally bright?? Be interested to know the answer. At least I'm now looking at the right wiring diagrams....LOL.

Anyway sorry about the essay but any thoughts would be appreciated..

Thanks

PS. I did find this right after I posted my essay...LOL

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...9&postcount=13

I definitely did not touch the throttle since I was worried about the pipes getting hot and blemished. So I'll clean the pipes and try again tomorrow. Maybe it's as simple as that...

Update: Yup, that's what it was. Looks like it is working...
If it sounds that good, judging by your 'reaction' ....maybe it should be referred to as a 'sexhaust' system, instead of exhaust system. . Sounds to me like it's all coming together.....Geesh, someone stop me please! But seriously, no sorry I can't do it . Enjoy!

Last edited by MET-RICK; 03-29-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #70

Yup, you got that right...LOL. Got out for a ride and ran great. Definitely more torque and a little more oomph. Some popping which I'll have to work out but nothing that'll stop me riding. Overall, everything worked great.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #71

Glad it all worked out. I also finally got out for a few hours and had a chance to see how the EJK and Chucksters BAK that I installed over the winter worked. Wow!!! I was very impressed, very noticeable increase in power and very smooth. I only have the baffles drilled out (2 out on each side), settings were the standard stage 1, had no popping at all. Thanks to all the good folks that provided info. on these mods.

Last edited by MET-RICK; 03-30-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #72
Advanced Member

MET Rick, did you notice noise increase that was disagreeable after installing the BAK?

I am about ready to take the plunge and let the bike breathe easy.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
MET Rick, did you notice noise increase that was disagreeable after installing the BAK?

I am about ready to take the plunge and let the bike breathe easy.
Pardon the interruption! I installed Chuckster's BAK and did not notice any additional noise. However with the FP "sexhaust"....I may have been distracted....

Seriously, I noticed no extraneous noise..

Old 03-31-2015, 01:05 AM   #74

Yes I did Ken, but not overly loud or harsh for my taste. I actually thought that (finally!), it sounded pleasantly more aggressive in combination with my debaffled pipes....which still sounded tame compared to, slip on's which may make it sound louder. I found it hardly noticeable when being gentle on the throttle....(that one time!) . On my bike I thought it sounded more like a powerful roar as opposed the previously described, loud mechanical hammering type noise. It's a matter of personal choice and appreciation. I'd do it over again if given the choice. I wanted to stay with the stock cover version because I thought it might have a 'middle ground' sound level compared to the other two options being the Tornado or the K&N with a round and more open cover. I cruise around 3000 rpm. with the tunes on but not blaring... (very often ). But wow... do I ever love the extra power!

Old 07-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #75

Planning to order the EJK too for my Vaquero but why does the manufacturer recommend Gen 3 instead of the Gen 3.5?