Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

BonVoyager’s 2012 Voyager

Hey everyone, my name is Keith, I’m 39 and new around here. That’s my fiancé Mary in the pic with me, we live in Northeast Pennsylvania. I thought I’d show you my bike and some things I am doing to it.

My bike is a 2012 Voyager with ABS that I bought used July of this year with 4,680 miles. I was specifically looking for this color combo, ABS, low mileage (under 5,000mi) and it had to still have a warranty. I found exactly what I was looking for 5 hours away in upstate NY. I Ivanized it and added rear speakers shortly after buying it, both highly recommended. I also got warranty to take care of the common failing engine emblem issue this had when I bought it, all were replaced by me.

This is my second bike ever, my first being this 2003 Suzuki Volusia that I bought new. I did a lot of custom things to it myself over the years to get it took look, handle, perform and sound just like I wanted with my main goal of making it look like it would have came like that from the factory 60 years ago. The Voyager on the other hand is damn near perfect from the factory, so any changes I make are just minor aesthetic things, a few lighting add-ons and some practical changes. Nothing remotely close to what I did on the Suzuki.

I will start this thread off by showing you what I had to do to install smoked lenses on my bike.

Like many of you, I have been frustrated with the lack of direct turn signal lens replacement options for our Voyagers, nobody makes clear or smoked lenses for our bikes at all, anywhere, so stop looking.

To fix this, I bit the bullet and bought some nice Vaquero turn signals on eBay. I then found some new smoked turn signal lenses from Lights4all in Germany (on German eBay) and had my friend in Berlin purchase them for me after I sent her money through PayPal. She had them shipped to her house and then she gave them to her boyfriend (also my friend) and he brought them back for me.

Sound complicated? Trust me, these lenses are a pain to get a hold of and this was the easiest and least expensive way for me to get them! You just can’t find them here in the U.S. or any other country besides Germany.

The company says these lenses don’t fit a Vaquero and technically, they don’t. Overseas they have what’s called the “Voyager Custom”, it looks exactly like a Vaquero, but it isn’t one and that’s what these lenses are actually for. Wouldn’t you know that the one thing that is different between the Voyager Custom and the Vaquero are the turn signals! They look identical to Vaquero turn signals, but they aren’t identical.

The thing that is different? It’s how the lenses sit in the housings, aka “clock” in the housing so the holding tabs grip and the retaining screw hole lines up with the threaded area for it in the lens.

So, to make these lenses work on Vaquero turn signals, you have to put the right lens in the left housing and visa-versa for the rear turn signals, the fronts are a direct replacement with the right lens in the right housing and the left lens in the left housing. Other than that they fit just like they are supposed to and the drains are at the bottom like they should be. No idea why the Voyager Custom and Vaquero turn signals are different like that, but they are.

Quality is exactly like the factory lenses. You get a good idea of the size difference from Voyager to Vaquero in my first pic! The Vaquero turn signals are a direct swap for our stock Voyager turn signals. You can just do the signals themselves or the entire assemblies like I did. I only did the entire assemblies because that’s how I bought them.

Total cost for the front and rear Vaquero turn signal assemblies and the lenses is $294 and that was after saving $45 shipping by having my friend bring them back with him from Germany!

I actually got an incredible deal on those Vaquero lights, less than half price and what they usually sell for. I listed my stock light assemblies on eBay and from viewing sold listings, I expect to make my money back.

You can also see that I got rid of that ugly reflector under the license plate light and replaced it with a Kuryakyn Goldwing reflector conversion light that I got for $35 (normally $45). It is a 3 wire light, so you have running and brake light functions. I feel it grounds the center area under the license light housing and gives that area more visual weight.

This first pic here shows you the size difference between the Vaquero turn signals and the Voyager turn signals. The Voyager turn signals are HUGE!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 12-16-2018 at 02:23 AM.