Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwr View Post
I've been thinking of upgrading my 2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500 to a 2016-18 Vaquero 1700.

I'm wondering if there's really that much performance difference?

I've read tons of threads on modifying the 1700 but I'm not convinced its worth the upgrade with or without mods.

I've been very happy with my 1500 which only has 24,000kms. however there's times I find I want a little more power.

I rode against an identical model to mine with a power commander and full V&Hs, to be honest I really didn't see that much difference in power or performance. just a lot of noise.

Looking for some feedback on pros and cons of upgrading and is it really worth it.

Thanks
Greetings,

I never answered your question. Had two 1500 Classic's, an 01 and an 04. This is my third 1700; a 10 Nomad, 12 Vaq and a 15 Vaq.
The 1700 does have more "power".
First, 'there's no replacement for displacement'!
Second, what you mean and desire in the way of "power" is subjective. These bikes are not geared or designed to be WARRIOR's or RAIDER's, these are touring machines.
Pulled trailer with the 04 Classic, it worked a bit at pulling the trailer in the Ozark's. Pull a very similar trailer with the 15 Vaq, it does not work nearly as hard and it weighs more to boot.
After Ivan'izing the 1700's, "performance", ride-a-bility and enjoyment all go up significantly.

Short version; I'd make the jump from the 1500 to the 1700 again in a flash.
LOVED that 01 Classic, 65K worry-free miles. Went everywhere, dang I loved that bike.
The 15 VAQ and I have been from Va to Ca in the past two years. All IVANized miles, all great miles.

Hope that helps, ride safe.

Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #17

How is your current bike set up? Pipes? Air? Computer?

Old 10-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtrat View Post
If you look at Smokier's description of the bike he has had the ECU reflashed by Ivan and debaffled the stock mufflers.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #19

I was actually asking WildWR but re-read his stuff and it appears stock. I know my 1500 had VnH pipes and was ok>. When I added right side cadman and Wildthings computer, it finally woke up.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHoovy View Post
What size and type of tire did you put on yours?
Interested in knowing the tire size too. Love my Nomad BTW.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHoovy View Post
I have a 2002 Nomad 1500 and have been very happy with it. I bought it used with 8,000 miles on it for $4,000 US. It came with Vance and Hines pipes. They were fine around town, but they were too loud for my taste when cruising on the interstate so I added some more baffling to them. I agree that having to look down at the tank to look at the gauges is a drag. I added a Baron big air kit which looks great and may have added 1 or 2 hp. I also added a fuel management system which makes the engine run cooler and may add a little power. (The engine had been running lean because of the free-flowing aftermarket exhaust pipes.) I am a thrifty guy and this bike is paid for, so I am sticking with what I have. The bike needs a new front tire. What size and type of tire did you put on yours?

I installed on front Bridgestone Exedra 130/90-16
Its the same size that Kawasaki changed over to on the newer cruisers.

Bike handles so much better especially on slow speed turns.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtrat View Post
Muffler baffles removed
Mean-streak Clutch plate with judges washers

I had the opportunity to compare performance along side another 2003 Nomad with V&H slash cuts and fuel programmer which was tuned on a dyno.

I couldn't justify spending the money on those enhancements with that little of difference in performance.
With that being said, when I did get a chance to ride the modified Nomad it definitely felt like it had more grunt and it sounded great too.