Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #1

Shorai icon lithium icon battery instant start

Well I needed a new battery and I love the tech stuff so I spent the bucks. Battery is a Shorai Icon Lithium Icon 315 cranking amps and weight is 3.03 lbs or 1.38 kg. You have to use a special battery charger made for these batteries and the cost for the battery was about 299 bucks Canadian and charger was 99 bucks Canadian. Yep allot of bucks for battery but I am told they last longer and they do give more power.

The bike my 1700 Nomad had not been started and sat in unheated trailer all winter and was about 14 above today actually last time started was October of 2018. Wow shocked me instant start I would call that.

It never started that easy with the lead battery always had to crank over a few times.

They are amazing if you ask me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #2

I've wondered since they require a special battery charger how can the bikes charging system keep them charged?
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

Most of the time it won’t.

Your bikes charging system is a ‘dumb’ system.

External chargers have sensors to tell it when it’s fully charged .

The difference is that a lithium ion charger has a different cut off point than a standard charger.
VBA 936

Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #4

The Nomad's charging system works just fine with a Lithium-Fe battery. Three years running and no troubles. It is the refresh cycle and charging rate of the battery tender that is the problem and requires the newer Li-Fe compatible tender.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #5

Well sure is allot lighter and I figure it really puts out some cranking amps to start the beast that easy after a winter of cold storage I found it amazing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #6

I have an 08 Suzuki C109 that left me stranded twice with bad voltage regulators. I put an aftermarket regulator on it but keep a charged lithium ion battery in my saddlebag as a way to get me to "safety" should the charging system fail a third time. It's so light, I can hold it in the palm of my hand and keeps a charge for a long time.