Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

Did I buy the wrong bike?

I just purchased a 2001 1500 Nomad with 3,500 miles.

I bought it with the idea of doing some country rides of 2-6 hours and occasionally riding 2 up.

However I find I am riding mostly suburb/city.

The problem is the bike is a beast to maneuver at low speed (traffic). I feel like I'm not relaxing once on the interstate. It doesn't exactly slip through the air.

I think the optimal speed for the bike is 30-50 mph. And at that speed it's a very relaxed and comfortable ride.

Im not loving the herky jerkyness of its touchy throttle.

But it gets a lot of attention - which makes it safer. I just don't feel super confident on it because it doesnt seem nimble in the event i need it to be, and am concerned that even after suspension work and saddle time it will still feel ponderous to drive for extended periods.

I'm not sure if a sport tourer like the Suzuki Bandit with side bags would've been a better bike.

So do you guys ride these for distance? Commuting? 2-up? Keep a second bike?

I'm thinking a drivers backrest would help. My hands are cramping up at highway speeds but again- maybe I just gotta get used to it. This is my first 1500 and my former ride was a cb750 about 15 years ago.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by ChromeSofa; 09-18-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

If you have to question your choice, then you made the wrong one . . .

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I added a few details to help explain my quandary. It's like the bike is really popular amongst the staff at various motorcycle publications I've read... And has a huge following.

So I wonder if it's just saddle time and experience or would a sport tourer really be much easier for both local and long distance rides.

People love them so I'm just trying to find out if theyve ever felt they could do longer distances and traffic riding more comfortably on another bike. Or if such differences are negligible.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

08 Nomad, I ride it on long trips, commute back and forth to work and ride it around town. I love it.
It is a big heavy bike and takes some getting used to. I don't have any jerkiness from the throttle, but I have Chucksters intake and a fuel processor on the bike.
Chucksters lower air deflectors replace the factory ones and make for a more enjoyable ride on the interstate.

Good luck with it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSofa View Post
I just purchased a 2001 1500 Nomad with 3,500 miles.

I bought it with the idea of doing some country rides of 2-6 hours and occasionally riding 2 up.

However I find I am riding mostly suburb/city.

The problem is the bike is a beast to maneuver at low speed (traffic). I feel like I'm not relaxing once on the interstate. It doesn't exactly slip through the air.

I think the optimal speed for the bike is 30-50 mph. And at that speed it's a very relaxed and comfortable ride.

Im not loving the herky jerkyness of its touchy throttle.

But it gets a lot of attention - which makes it safer. I just don't feel super confident on it because it doesnt seem nimble in the event i need it to be, and am concerned that even after suspension work and saddle time it will still feel ponderous to drive for extended periods.

I'm not sure if a sport tourer like the Suzuki Bandit with side bags would've been a better bike.

So do you guys ride these for distance? Commuting? 2-up? Keep a second bike?

I'm thinking a drivers backrest would help. My hands are cramping up at highway speeds but again- maybe I just gotta get used to it. This is my first 1500 and my former ride was a cb750 about 15 years ago.
Give it some time,,soon those feelings will go and youll be handling it better. Give yourself time to get used to it. You rode 15 yrs ago.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

The Nomad is a large, heavy bike and low speed handling is not its strong point, it does take some getting used to. I put 52,000 miles on my 2007 Nomad and I used it for short trips, commuting to work, day rides and cross country tours.

Only you can answer the question of "is it the right bike for me?".

A 12 year old bike with 3,500 miles is hardly broken in.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #7

I bought my Nomad 1600 37 years after I sold my first bike. It was 1970 Bridgestone 350 GTO. I ride it in all kinds of traffic and love it. It does not behave well in parking lots, though.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

It has been 15 years since you rode and you picked a 742 pound bike to get back into riding.
You will get used to it if you take your time and ride sensibly.
If your hands are cramping up you are stressed and griping the bars way to tight. Loosen up and enjoy the ride.
When I bought my 07 Nomad I thought it was a bear to handle at low speed but now I have no problem with it and I'm 67 years old.
I put 85,000 miles of around town, commuting to work ( when I worked ) and touring.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
. . . I'm 67 years old. . .
DAYUMMM! You know, if you put a big ol' fat Car tire on that Nomad, it would be easier to hold up . . . (Geeezer . . .)

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
DAYUMMM! You know, if you put a big ol' fat Car tire on that Nomad, it would be easier to hold up . . . (Geeezer . . .)
You left out the first part of the sentence Mark.

I have no problem with it and I'm 67 years old
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #11

A Crampbuster on the throttle will help with the hand cramping. http://www.crampbuster.com/

Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #12

Welcome to the site. I will give you my thoughts on your post.

You bought a cruiser that was billed as a touring bike at one time. I have many miles aboard a CB 750, KZ1000, Gold Wing, and other bikes. I usually have had several bikes at one time.

I agree with you that the Nomad is at its best at mid speed. Many of us have changed the seat, handlebar risers, wind deflectors, and other things to make the bike more comfortable and reduce wind buffeting at high speeds.

In my opinion, both of my 1600 Nomads were very heavy and awkward at sub centrifugal speeds. Also, I have yet to find a bumpy & twisty road that my Nomad likes at high speed. Clearly the suspension is not my choice for that kind of riding and I have tried many variations on the rear shocks. I have jokingly called my Nomad a tank, but never envisioned it as nimble.

But on the hand, some of those issues I cite are also what makes the Nomad right for me. My wife and I like to traverse country back roads at 50 mph on a rumbling, very roomy, reasonably priced, V-Twin motorcycle. I also like the Nomad style and dependability.

I understand the 1500 has a shorter wheelbase and that should make it handle better at low speeds. The Harley cruisers definitely handle the low speed better but I feel more cramped on them riding two up.

If I was doing a lot of riding in city traffic or long distance touring, the Nomad would not be my first choice. These are my opinions and many on this Vulcan site may feel the Nomads hung the moon. I will point out that I am one of the very few who has bought a second Nomad. Most are choosing real touring bikes when they decide to leave the Nomad.

I enjoy the minor changes I have made to my Nomad and like it better as time goes on. It is designed to clear my head, enjoy the weather, and be my site seeing and restaurant hoping Buick.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #13

The 1500 does not respond as well at parking lot speeds. Give it time and you will find the sweet spot when cruising through parking lots. If your shoulders and arms are getting tired, I would suggest putting handlebar risers on the bike if there are not any on there. I would also suggest going with a driver's backrest and the Grasshopper is a good choice at a reasonable price. My 1500 seem to settle in around 20K miles. As mentioned earlier, a bike with only 3500 miles on it is not even broken in yet. Don't give up on it yet. I think you will come to enjoy the ride of the Nomad in time.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #14

I thought the same thing all I had before my 01 nomad was choppers. I didnt think it handle well at low speeds. For about the first week or 2 I had it. I have had mine for a year and I love it the best thing I ever bought. I have put 10,000 miles on mine since I bought it.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #15

Throttle jerky? Would a 12 year old bike with a carburetor and 3k miles possibly need a good dose of Seafoam treatment? That is a lot of sitting around giving the fuel time to dry out. I would put some in tank and spray cleaner inside carb intake just for good measure. Might need to actually clean the carb and fuel system.