Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

IS-33 II HJC Helmet .... Opinions please !!

I'm planning on purchasing this helmet but before I do , I thought I would see if anyone here uses this one and how they like it . I've always used just an opened faced with no visor . Everyone knows what that feels like , especially when it rains . I wear glasses and that is nothing but dangerous when it rains . I like the fact that this one has a full face visor and a separate inner tinted visor for sunny days .

I was also informed that you can actually put speakers inside the helmet for listening to your favorite tunes . I would go bluetooth and use my s-6 samsung . Anyone do this ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HJC-IS-33-2-Solid-Matte-Black-Side.jpg (45.9 KB, 9 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #2

The reason why I'm asking about the blue tooth speakers in the helmet is because I don't think I'm going to be able to hear the music coming from the fairing speakers unless I blast the volume . My phone holds all the same tunes as the ipod connected to the fairing so I thought I would go that direction .

Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #3

I have a Scorpion EXO-CT220 Helmet and it has speaker pockets. It real similar to the HJC. The Scorpion just fit better and I felt some of the feature worked better.
I also wear glasses and I find I can't use both shields at the same time. Looking thru 3 layers gets real fuzzy/blurry.
I also think with the shield down it drowns out the road noise, but the music seem clearer better. I do like wearing it best with just the visor and inter shield.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Thanks Troy for your input . I'll look into that helmet as well . Never thought of looking through three shields . I could however just use the front shield and wear my clip on shades instead of the tinted visor . That probably would work best .

How do the speakers in your helmet sound ?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #5

I don't have speakers in my helmet, but there is pockets for them. I don't turn on the music very often anymore. I seem to enjoy the sound of the ride more as I age.
I only use the outer shield when I go on trips, in case it rains.
If you go to revilla.com they have some good video reviews on each of the helmets.
But its best to go somewhere to try them on. I was surprise how different each brand fit in the same size.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #6

I wear the HJC JET helmet, very similar to yours, very good and light with good circulation. I also wear glasses and have no probs looking through all three visors if needed. I tried the speakers in the pockets but wanted to go completely wireless, plus if they are not positioned just right in line with your ears you cant hear squat out of the speakers. I wear Bluetooth ear buds and works great.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #7

Looks like I'm going to have to wait for about a month before I can try on any helmets here . Still winter here and all I see is Skidoo stuff . I'll be sure to try them on before I buy . The Scorpions are a nice helmet too although I haven't seen them in our stores . Mostly just HJC . I'll probably just wait on the speakers until I get a chance to try out the helmet with the fairing stereo and see if I can actually hear it . I do have blue tooth ear buds that I use sometimes when I'm out riding the Nomad .

Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

I use this helmet and love it. I don't often use the full face shield, but when I do, it works well. Most of the time the full face shield is in my saddlebag in a large crown royal bag. I would buy it again. I have also seen it with bluetooth speakers built in.
Freedom Performance Eagle Slip Ons
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing

2017 Indian Springfield
Wife who is a great cook!
Manning, SC

Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

It's really good to know that there are guys out there that use this type of helmet . I've used a 1/2 helmet since day 1 , but the time has come that I'm taking longer trips and will most likely hit some good rain . I'm also getting a little tired of the wind noise in my ears . Maybe I'm just getting old .

Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
It's really good to know that there are guys out there that use this type of helmet . I've used a 1/2 helmet since day 1 , but the time has come that I'm taking longer trips and will most likely hit some good rain . I'm also getting a little tired of the wind noise in my ears . Maybe I'm just getting old .
Those are the same reasons I switch from a 1/2 to a 3/4.
When I was young (in my 20s) I used a full face. I tried to wear my sons recently and thought I was going to suffocate. I guess I've gotten a little claustrophobic.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
Advanced Member

I've got a Scorpion helmet as well. Just fits the shape of my head well, and you can't beat the price. But I usually by the ones in clearance. Don't care if it's last years look. Also wear glasses. I ride home due west. When it's cold and sunny, I have both shields down. Don't really notice the blur that much or I just am used to it.

I also have really bad hearing. I don't think I've listened to the radio more than 3 times since I had the bike. I'd have to have it way too loud when I'm moving, and then it would really be loud to everyone around me when I stop.

Finally got hearing aids, so any earbuds are out for me.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #12

I use an IS33 and it's a great helmet (no tunes for me thank you). Mine is now 9 years old and due to be replaced. I am considering an IS model modular but I'm not sure I like the weight. I do like the HJC's though.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #13

Yah , I think I'm going to pass on the speakers . I only want tunes when I'm on a long non scenic ride . If that makes any sense ..

I'll admit there is definitely something calming about riding with no distractions . Great therapy when it's only you and your bike .

Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #14

I use the Nolan modular. Do have BT speakers (Sena) in the helmet. Much better sound for those occasions I do listen to music. I might encourage you to look at MODULARS. The Nolan modular locks in the UP position. 90% of the time I am riding with it up, like a 3/4. When the cold or rain comes, then I can drop the chin. I get the sound when wanted. And, with build in sun visor, sun shades available if needed. For me the modular is the win-win-win.
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #15

Thanks Smokier , I will look at some if the stores here have them on the shelf . I was never much a fan of full face but if you can ride with it up that might be something I would want .

I'm not sure if you can ride with the visor up on the hjc , but I know you can take it off and put it in your saddle bag . Guys !!! ???