Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
Well they finally came the new tire valves for the TPMS
Hard to tell from that photo but that likely won't work in the rear wheel.
From memory, I think the hole in the front wheel is 12 mm, the rear wheel is 10 mm. May need to drill the rear wheel out to 12 mm.
And it appears the seal for those valves is going to be on the outside of the rim with nothing to prevent them from cracking or blowing out, and attempting to seal against a cast surface. You will notice when you remove the factory metal stem from your rear wheel the seal is on the inside, a machined surface, protected and pressure will push the seal in, not out.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #17

The rear wheel on mine the Nomad is 10mm and the company that supplies these says they will work on that wheel and the front wheel is 12 mm. They come as 10mm valves and they will work on a 10mm or 12 mm opening. They say as Peg also has told me to put the rubber bushing on the inside of the wheel not the outside so that the pressure will work with the valve and give a pressure seal.

Glad I checked with them Garry as you brought this up had me worried a bit until they informed of how to properly use the valve. Glad you brought this up Garry as I might have installed them differently then they would recommend.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Good that you checked with the supplier for the install procedure.
But I'm still confused, the valve flange is going on the outside of the rim and seal on the inside and against a loose washer? How do you get an air-tight seal when the washer is loose on the stem? Look at the factory metal valve stem on your rear wheel, the flange is on the inside and the seal is compressed between the flange and wheel, the loose washer and nut is on the outside.
And putting a 10 mm valve in a 12 mm hole on the front wheel of a motorcycle....... please don't do that.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #19

I will look over the product when it arrives determine if it will work on a 10mm as they say and on a 12 mm hole. I glad you brought this up Garry as never would install something I am not sure of myself I sure I can find if this does not work an alternative. They say they work well on the Goldwings all I can tell you as that is what this company mainly supplies these valves for. All I can do is wait and see. I sure they are designed somehow to work on either in some shape or form. But all I can do is wait and see for myself.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Ya, sorry if I'm coming across as a pessimist.
I recently got a new Garmin GPS, with TPMS so I'm researching this metal valve stem thing too. I'm putting this on my Yamaha Super Tenere and lots of discussions about this going on that forum. The consensus there is valve stems with internal nuts are to be avoided, due to inadequate sealing.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #21

Hey Garry I appreciate the comments you have been giving as I have gone down once in my lifetime and it was fun but not allot of fun really. I like it when people like you give out comments gives all of us something to think about and research more and make sure we are doing the right thing not the wrong thing. It is two wheels up for me for rest of my life hopefully and I want comments like yours they do help in many ways.

With out them there would be many more of us upside down.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #22

Garry just to let you know I received the valves this morning. I must admit I have same concerns as you do on them. The metal parts seem very solid but I do not like the rubber if you can call it rubber seal at all and I agree it can only go on the outside of the wheel never on the inside. I am not liking it at all and will return the product.

I have found just a t valve that screws onto the valve stem which is what Peg uses. I have ordered a couple of these and feel they are my best bet so far.

Thanks for the heads up Garry I appreciate your comments very much.

Dave

Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #23

Buckey, did you get the extension T installed yet?

Last edited by mike58; 06-21-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #24

I did get the t's but have not used them at all. The tire pressure TPMS I showed video on I sent back I found it to be garbage as it never properly showed the right tire pressure it would vary to much in the reading.

I have since like others have gone to the FOBO unit and find it to be pretty accurate and easy to use and I want ease of use. I like this unit and was just away on a long trip and it never failed to give a pretty dang accurate reading at all times I feel.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #25

I bought the one you showed in the video based off your comments...laughs
I have used it for approx. 3000 kms and it has performed great for me (I have checked it against my tire pressure gauge (cold and hot) and it has always been accurate (within .5psi)
maybe I just got lucky, but I have no complaints

Old 07-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #26

Hey it might be a good unit the one unit I had never worked for me I was not satisfied ans so returned unit and decided to purchase a unit I was told by research was a quality unit and it was FOBO. These other units might be good mine was not.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
The mount will work on a voyager as the clamp screws down to a very tiny clamp. I just have a problem mounting it on handlebars as the theft here in Edmonton area is so high. Even if they can not use something they steal it or smash it. Plus with this unit as I said I doubt you would be able to see the figures displayed in the sunlight. I have a Nolan helmet with sound system so would never hear the beep if the tire was going down in pressure anyways. Practically deaf by nature in my ears so the unit will go in the right bag as I always store stuff mostly in that bag and would be looking at it most likely every time I started bike. Here is better video of the clamp for your interest.

As far as balance issues I used the beads in the tire so there never should be a problem and they have worked well.

I bought one of those. If you push one of the right side buttons you will find there is 3 different light settings. Not much of a change, but it does improve the light setting, a little. I can read it during the day. I mounted it on my handlebar. I also made a different mounting bracket as I didn't like the bracket they sent, it was to much.

I charged it and have used it for about a week and it still shows a full charge. It is motion activated and powers down real fast.

This unite was $50.00 and am liking it better than the $ 200.00 unite I bought in the past, It has a color screen and gives me a temp reading for the ties. I can also change the batteries in the sensors, which I couldn't do in my last ones and the sensors were $85.00 for 2 and lasted about a year.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Last edited by Snake Ranch; 08-04-2018 at 02:02 PM.