Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

BonVoyager’s 2012 Voyager

Hey everyone, my name is Keith, I’m 39 and new around here. That’s my fiancé Mary in the pic with me, we live in Northeast Pennsylvania. I thought I’d show you my bike and some things I am doing to it.

My bike is a 2012 Voyager with ABS that I bought used July of this year with 4,680 miles. I was specifically looking for this color combo, ABS, low mileage (under 5,000mi) and it had to still have a warranty. I found exactly what I was looking for 5 hours away in upstate NY. I Ivanized it and added rear speakers shortly after buying it, both highly recommended. I also got warranty to take care of the common failing engine emblem issue this had when I bought it, all were replaced by me.

This is my second bike ever, my first being this 2003 Suzuki Volusia that I bought new. I did a lot of custom things to it myself over the years to get it took look, handle, perform and sound just like I wanted with my main goal of making it look like it would have came like that from the factory 60 years ago. The Voyager on the other hand is damn near perfect from the factory, so any changes I make are just minor aesthetic things, a few lighting add-ons and some practical changes. Nothing remotely close to what I did on the Suzuki.

I will start this thread off by showing you what I had to do to install smoked lenses on my bike.

Like many of you, I have been frustrated with the lack of direct turn signal lens replacement options for our Voyagers, nobody makes clear or smoked lenses for our bikes at all, anywhere, so stop looking.

To fix this, I bit the bullet and bought some nice Vaquero turn signals on eBay. I then found some new smoked turn signal lenses from Lights4all in Germany (on German eBay) and had my friend in Berlin purchase them for me after I sent her money through PayPal. She had them shipped to her house and then she gave them to her boyfriend (also my friend) and he brought them back for me.

Sound complicated? Trust me, these lenses are a pain to get a hold of and this was the easiest and least expensive way for me to get them! You just can’t find them here in the U.S. or any other country besides Germany.

The company says these lenses don’t fit a Vaquero and technically, they don’t. Overseas they have what’s called the “Voyager Custom”, it looks exactly like a Vaquero, but it isn’t one and that’s what these lenses are actually for. Wouldn’t you know that the one thing that is different between the Voyager Custom and the Vaquero are the turn signals! They look identical to Vaquero turn signals, but they aren’t identical.

The thing that is different? It’s how the lenses sit in the housings, aka “clock” in the housing so the holding tabs grip and the retaining screw hole lines up with the threaded area for it in the lens.

So, to make these lenses work on Vaquero turn signals, you have to put the right lens in the left housing and visa-versa for the rear turn signals, the fronts are a direct replacement with the right lens in the right housing and the left lens in the left housing. Other than that they fit just like they are supposed to and the drains are at the bottom like they should be. No idea why the Voyager Custom and Vaquero turn signals are different like that, but they are.

Quality is exactly like the factory lenses. You get a good idea of the size difference from Voyager to Vaquero in my first pic! The Vaquero turn signals are a direct swap for our stock Voyager turn signals. You can just do the signals themselves or the entire assemblies like I did. I only did the entire assemblies because that’s how I bought them.

Total cost for the front and rear Vaquero turn signal assemblies and the lenses is $294 and that was after saving $45 shipping by having my friend bring them back with him from Germany!

I actually got an incredible deal on those Vaquero lights, less than half price and what they usually sell for. I listed my stock light assemblies on eBay and from viewing sold listings, I expect to make my money back.

You can also see that I got rid of that ugly reflector under the license plate light and replaced it with a Kuryakyn Goldwing reflector conversion light that I got for $35 (normally $45). It is a 3 wire light, so you have running and brake light functions. I feel it grounds the center area under the license light housing and gives that area more visual weight.

This first pic here shows you the size difference between the Vaquero turn signals and the Voyager turn signals. The Voyager turn signals are HUGE!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 12-16-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

The key isn’t on in the front pic, so the running lights aren’t lit for the signals, but you can see how bright and amber the lens lights when the turn signal is on.

You can also see that Kuryakyn light lit with the running lights. My favorite thing about that light is that it has two rows of LEDs just like the trunk lights and the tail light, so it looks like it came on the bike.

Sorry, my phone is in a waterproof case and often the pictures get flares in them.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 01:35 AM.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

I installed some hand guards that I got for $32 shipped on eBay.

While the fairing does an excellent job of blocking wind, I found my hands weren’t being guarded as much as I would have liked. They look great and match the windshield and its trim.

The first two pics are with the bars straight to give you an idea of what they look like while riding, the last pic is bars at full left chock.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #4

I put my Kuryakyn brake light modulator on as well as my trailer wire harness. The modulator is about the size of a postage stamp and about 1/2” thick, it’s incredibly small. I mounted the modulator to the right of the battery cover/tool pouch cubby. The trailer harness controller is mounted just behind the tool pouch cubby on the fender.

Tip: get the modulator on eBay and search for one for a Goldwing, it is the same as their universal modulator (It just comes with a Goldwing harness that you chuck) and it is $20 less.

I still have to wire the bottom most light to the brake lights. Right now it is just wired as a running light, but that will also be an additional brake light and flash with the modulator as well.

The only thing that bothers me is that I hooked the modulator in with my trailer harness thinking that I could also modulate the brake lights on the trailer and the controller in the trailer harness doesn’t recognize the flashing signal (must be too fast for the control board) so, I just have normal steady on and off function for the brake lights at the trailer harness end while the bike is flashing as intended with the modulator. Oh well, at least the trailer still has normal functioning brake lights.

I got the plug-n-play trailer harness from a SSWIREPLUS on eBay. It has a controller with a built-in automatic circuit breaker and cost $90 shipped. I requested a 5 wire harness from him before I purchased it, because my Time Out camper has separate brake and turn signals. He also sells a 4 wire version here for combined brake and turn signals:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182717402168

The trailer wires that run down to the trailer socket are tucked away in this pic because I hadn’t run them down yet. They are now run down behind the right fender strut and are zip tied to the saddlebag bracket.

Green arrows point to the factory gray harness connectors.

Blue arrows point to the white connectors for the trailer harness that connect to the factory harness

Yellow circle shows you the trailer harness isolator module. I mounted it to a fender bolt that was already there.

Red circle is my Kuryakyn brake light modulator.

Here is a video I made of the brake light modulator in action:

Last edited by BonVoyager; 05-28-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

I started installing my Kicker speakers yesterday. They are a direct replacement, with a slight modification. Compared to the factory speakers, the magnets are huge.

(*The speaker comparison pics I borrowed because I forgot to take some myself, I will be replacing those pics with my own when I do the rear speakers)

I got these for $85 a set brand new on eBay and I bought two sets, one pair for the front and one pair for the rear.

The only issue is that the seating area where they slip into the factory speaker pods is slightly too large, so I had to shave about 1/16” of material off to make them slip in which equates to about 1/8” across. Otherwise, they don’t seat correctly as shown in the pic below.

Before sanding away material, no amount of forcing the speakers into the pods to get them to seat would work without damaging anything. I scribed a line and shaved the material down with a dremel and some sandpaper. Now, they slip right in. I also had to lengthen the wires to each speaker by 2” because they were too tight. The connections are at the top of these speakers.

I have to do something like this for the rear speaker pods as they won’t seat in those either without removing a little material. Once that is done, the factory front and rear speaker grills will sit right over the speakers just as they did with the factory speakers.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #6

A few more pics of the speakers.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 01:22 AM.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #7

As for the hitch that I still have to install, I also bought this 1995 Time Out camper to pull with my bike back in July, it has red graphics.

I actually bought two of these Time Out campers in the same week. The one I kept was the nicer of the two, it also has the accessory add-a-room as well. The other one with the blue graphics in the pic below was a 2001 that I sold to a buddy of mine.

I haven’t gotten to pull the camper with the bike this year, but I did get to pull it with my car a few times and camp in it and it is just amazing. It holds a queen sized air mattress and has plenty of room to stand and move around inside and it sets up and comes down in minutes. It weighs 380lbs. I posted a pic of it next to my car so you can get an idea of just how big it opens up to.

The hitch I got from Joel at TrailersETC, he’s a great guy and will do right by you.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 12-16-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #8

You've been busy. Same year and color of my bike.
I didn't realize the difference in the size of the turn signals.
I like the license plate bracket. Really looks sharp.
Thanks for sharing the info Keith.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 12-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
I installed some hand guards as well that I got for $32 shipped on eBay.

While the fairing does an excellent job of blocking wind, I found my hands weren’t being guarded as much as I would have liked.

They look great and match the windshield and its trim.
Me too, What brand and model are the hand guards?? Do you have a top view-looking down onto the mounting on the handle bars. I have found in really cold weather the mirrors deflect the wind down onto my hands and make them colder. this looks like a reasonable solution.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 12-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Welcome from Italy!
Very interesting job.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Me too, What brand and model are the hand guards?? Do you have a top view-looking down onto the mounting on the handle bars. I have found in really cold weather the mirrors deflect the wind down onto my hands and make them colder. this looks like a reasonable solution.

Here are the pics and info. I got them from this person on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253074624892

They are nice and thick, very rigid and the quality is great, they really look like they belong on the bike. They also cover a considerable area above and below the levers and go the full length of the levers. When the bars are turned full chock, they are about 1/4” away from the edge the of the windshield.

If you type in “Motorcycle Hand Guards” on eBay, you will see that you can get them in different sizes, with the brackets in chrome or black and the shield tinted or different colors. They all run about the same length, it’s mainly the height that’s different. The ones you see here are the tallest I could find.

I took off the nuts that go to the bolts that the levers pivot on and I mounted the guards using that stud. I also used a pair of aluminum shank nuts that I had from the vintage Volkswagen wiper arms that I had laying around (another hobby of mine). They just happen to be the correct thread and length. I still have to polish those nuts.

You can buy the nuts here though if you don’t have them lying around like me, LOL!:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/211-418.html

That shank nut slips through the mounting bracket of these hand guards and threads to the bolts holding the levers on which holds these onto the bike while keeping them locked in place. I put a plastic washer in between the mounting bracket and the hand controls just to keep them from getting scratched. I had to open the hole up to the next size on the mounting brackets to allow the shank nuts to slip through.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #12

I got my plate frame in the mail today. This is one that lights up without actual brake input like regular brake lights.

These were $170 when they first came out, they are now usually around $100 on eBay, but I scored this one brand new on eBay for $50 with free shipping!

The entire rear end of this bike is going to light up when braking, and I will also have the added safety of this plate frame indicating that I am downshifting or off the throttle and slowing down when I don’t touch the brakes.

I like that the lights on it are along the same lines as the stock fender brake light and the Kuryakyn light I put on that replaced the rear reflector making everything look like it was already there from start.

This video explains how this plate frame works. They also make a modulator version of this that you can wire into your regular brake lights.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 01:57 AM.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #13

Thanks for the info and directions for the Hand guards. Very detailed and precise, Just what I asked for and needed.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 12-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #14

Welcome and Greetings BonVoyager!

Nicely done! Looks great and you have added some nice safety and visability features.
Thank you for sharing.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #15

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I’m back at the bike again, I was down in Florida for a little bit. I’m working on a few things with the tail light bracket.

First, if you are pulling the turn signal/license plate bracket off the bike, you need to lift the bike off the ground. Don’t even bother wasting your time trying to do it on the ground, the rear wheel needs to hang down to allow enough room to fit your hand and ratchet behind the fender.

The green arrow points to an already existing hole that I enlarged for the wiring to pass through of the Kuryakyn Goldwing reflector conversion light.

The yellow arrow is a new hole I drilled for the wiring of the Vololights license plate frame to pass through.

The red arrows point to two new holes I had to drill. These are so the license plate bracket can be moved down so the plate frame doesn’t cover the Kuryakyn light, the old holes get covered by the bracket.

I don’t care for the fact that the paint from the factory seems to be very thin and the bracket is covered in bare metal spots and white specs. I am going to repaint this before I put everything back on it.

A little tip for you people trying to pull the lights off the bracket: Run the area of the turn signal housing where the metal slips into the turn signal under hot water, the light will slip right off. Otherwise, you are screaming and yelling at the damn thing to come off and risking breaking the light.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.