Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
Banned

What is the lean angle on a Voyager?

Hi,
I am talking degrees to compare to other Touring bikes. Did a search and all I found is their bikes scrape before others do. Is there any difference between say a Nomad and Voyager specifically 2010 models and also a Vaquero. My 900 Custom is not cutting it for 2 up since my wife starting riding along. Probably not going touring but just need a bike for day rides to carry jackets, rain suites and few tools?
Any idea?

Please help.
Thanks!
I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
References:http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/5...e-voyager.html

Web Explainer Video

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Top Contributor

I doubt anyone knows the actual lean angle of their bikes. Some riders are able to scrape the floorboards. I never did on my Voyager.

1700 Nomads, Voyagers and Vaquero are all different.

1700 Nomad has a fork mounted windshield and top opening hardbags, no radio.

1700 Voyager has a frame mounted fairing, fairing lowers, a trunk, top opening hardbags and a radio.

1700 Vaquero has a frame mounted fairing, no lowers, side opening hardbags, and a radio.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #3

"Any idea?"

Change your riding style. I can run the twisties dragging the boards or run them (not quite as fast) with a passenger without scrapping. (2012 Voyager)

Only difference on the no scrape is that I am moving my body around more.

Try practicing taking corners by moving your chin outwards towards the mirror. To get the hang of re-positioning yourself through the turns.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
"Any idea?"

Change your riding style. I can run the twisties dragging the boards or run them (not quite as fast) with a passenger without scrapping. (2012 Voyager)

Only difference on the no scrape is that I am moving my body around more.

Try practicing taking corners by moving your chin outwards towards the mirror. To get the hang of re-positioning yourself through the turns.
I agree! Chin towards mirror, press on the opposite floorboard (helps to shift your weight in turn direction), even lean a bit into the turn at the waist. You don't even have to move your butt on the seat. Shift your center of gravity so the bike has to stand up to compensate. Pointing with your chin also helps with "looking through the turn". Your control through curves will also improve as well as reducing scrapping.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Suspension adjustment and load have the most impact on whether or not you scrape the floorboards. A soft suspension setting and heavy load (luggage+passengers+add-ons) will almost guarantee it while a stiff suspension and light load (small rider only) will almost guarantee it won't scrape.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #6

All I can say is my 2016 Vaquero scrapes very early, it has very little lean angle compared to my Indian and the Victory I had until recently. It is actually one of the few things I don't like about the bike, however I try and tell myself that it keeps me sane in the twisties...

Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

I have not scraped since putting a wider tire on the rear.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

Just curious. What does it matter? Are you planning on installing a protractor on your tank and stopping just before the number someone gives you?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Here is the lean angle on my Vaq...this was with the skoot raised bout 1" higher than stock

RACNRAY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLOORBOARD (2).jpg (78.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg FLOORBOARDS (1).jpg (89.4 KB, 42 views)

Old 01-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Advanced Member

As seen in Ray's photos, there is a rubber pad under the footboards and as they wear the footboards will droop down and touch the pavement without much lean. I removed the rubber pads, replaced them with 1/4 inch nylon bolts (2 per side). I filed the bolt heads down and at a bit of an angle so the footboards actually tilt up a bit and that combined with my longer Works shocks and stiffer RaceTech front springs gives me much more lean than stock.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #11

Everytime I see this thread I want to reply like this. So here goes. I apologize in advance -
What's the lean angle of a Voyager?

Right up to the point it tips over or slides down the highway.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #12

I'm pretty sure the voyager and the bike in the picture below has the same lean angle in common. I think.......
Notice how the rider has shifted his weight in the wrong direction. Somebody should tell him.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #13

He shifted his weight that way to use his knee as a "bump stop" so the bike won't go any lower and slide out from under him. I bet the "chicken strips" on his tires are paper thin!

Chicken strips = the strips of unscathed rubber on the outer edges of a motorcycle tire caused by the rider being too "chicken" to lean the motorcycle all the way to the edge.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Chicken strips = the strips of unscathed rubber on the outer edges of a motorcycle tire caused by the rider being too "chicken" to lean the motorcycle all the way to the edge.
An excellent description and nothing to be ashamed of.

Remember though, Your not on a track in the real world. Never worry about a chicken strip, and Don't take any shit about it. If you make it home every day, you have done it right. Look at the floor boards scraping as a warning that you may have been a bit to exuberant in that corner. Live Long and Prosper.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
An excellent description and nothing to be ashamed of.

Remember though, Your not on a track in the real world. Never worry about a chicken strip, and Don't take any shit about it. If you make it home every day, you have done it right. Look at the floor boards scraping as a warning that you may have been a bit to exuberant in that corner. Live Long and Prosper.
Speaking of chicken strips, a friend of mine, who rides a Yami Raider, likes to say, "I paid for all of that tread and I'm gonna use it!" And he does, too, along with some exhaust, pegs,...!