Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Vaquero rear speakers

Finally took the plunge and cut up the saddlebags on my 2011. I figured with 60K, why not. Prior to this, I had been adding speakers to my helmets and even fabbed up an enclosure to go the rear seat for my trips. Only did 200 miles with the new speaks, but really like it. I used the same 5 1/4's that I have in the dash, Infinity's. I thought about 6 1/2's, but they looked too big for my tastes. I wasnt keen on the adapters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1196.jpg (88.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1197.jpg (88.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1199.jpg (87.5 KB, 68 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

I like the add!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

Sweet

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #4

Question - Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvaquero View Post
Finally took the plunge and cut up the saddlebags on my 2011. I figured with 60K, why not. Prior to this, I had been adding speakers to my helmets and even fabbed up an enclosure to go the rear seat for my trips. Only did 200 miles with the new speaks, but really like it. I used the same 5 1/4's that I have in the dash, Infinity's. I thought about 6 1/2's, but they looked too big for my tastes. I wasnt keen on the adapters.
Ok - I have a stupid question - In a rain event or even washing the bike, where does the water go? Even if the speakers are waterproof (marine) speakers - the physical characteristics of the speaker resembles a cereal bowl. How do you get the water out if it gets wet. You really wouldn't want them to drain out into your saddlebags.

Maybe rain covers? Never ride in rain? (like that has never worked for me).

Not trying to downplay the mod cause it looks great and probably sounds even better - but my engineering mind asks questions like this. (It's a curse my wife has learned to live with)

Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Ok - I have a stupid question - In a rain event or even washing the bike, where does the water go? Even if the speakers are waterproof (marine) speakers - the physical characteristics of the speaker resembles a cereal bowl. How do you get the water out if it gets wet. You really wouldn't want them to drain out into your saddlebags
I was sorta wondering the same thing......Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

My plan was to take along the waterproof bags that came with my nelson riggs soft luggage. They resemble a large heavy duty shower cap with elastic. Fit over the bags perfectly. They're not marine speakers, but I'm not sure what "marine" speakers are anyway. No paper products?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #7

Meant for Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvaquero View Post
My plan was to take along the waterproof bags that came with my nelson riggs soft luggage. They resemble a large heavy duty shower cap with elastic. Fit over the bags perfectly. They're not marine speakers, but I'm not sure what "marine" speakers are anyway. No paper products?
It's always been my understanding that Marine Speakers were what you would use on a Boat where water is expected. Make sure you tether your shower caps somehow - Somewhere on I70 between Indy and St Louis is the shower cap cover for my Kuryakyn tour bag. (Plug for Kuryakyn - when I call to see if I could get a replacement - they said it never should have fallen off and sent me one for free.)

Anyway - Speakers look great - ride safe!

Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

marine grade anything is just water resistant not water proof, in most cases its a coating to resist corrosion.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #9

Thumbs Up Where's the like Button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
marine grade anything is just water resistant not water proof, in most cases its a coating to resist corrosion.
Thanks for clearing that up for me - I learned something today - I can take a nap now! Or go for a ride, yea that's what I'll do.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

Bet they sound great with the saddlebag to reflect in. Any reason you went with rounds instead of 6X9's ?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #11

Fit and finish mostly. I could get away without adapters with the 5 1/4's. I was able to relieve the sides of the grill covers to follow the contour of the bags so there wouldnt be much of a gap. Anything larger and adapters or custom glass work would have to be used.
They sound great up to about 40. Then theyre ok up to about 60. Then theyre gone above that, but the fronts still sound great. The biggest improvement to the sound (IMHO) is the bagger shield (12").
Been looking at that small Clarion amp...

Last edited by azvaquero; 08-10-2017 at 11:29 AM.