Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

Old 01-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #1

Rabbie Burns Day and 2017 Ride

Hiya all;
So a very happy Rabbie Burns day to all. I trust you enjoyed your haggis and scotch (as I surely did) and are now raring to ride!

Did I miss suggestions for a ride this year? Not sure how you usually have this discussion as I only joined last year - is it a poll on dates first with options for number of days? Then once picked a review of suggestions on locale? I am up for anything so let me know Mr Moderator Sir.

Perhaps to kick it off I can cast a strawman for people to pull to pieces and rebuild:

How about celebrating Canada 150 years, so sometime after 1 July, say late July or early August (how about 25-29 July as that includes Great Upheaval Day in NB on the 28th and remembers the Acadians who were transported)?

Could head to and centre on the Shuswap, possibly stay in Salmon Arm and day trip from there. Gotta include a ride to Craigellachie for a group photo at the last spike - that railway was the agreement for BC to enter confederation in the first place!

So we are close enough for AB, northern BC, Vancouver Islanders (me) and our friends across the line perhaps to meet and celebrate.

The "Dreamcycle" motorcycle museum ( www.dreamcycle.ca ) is between Salmon Arm and Sorrento and with sprockets café next is apparently worthy of a visit.

Go to http://shuswaptourism.ca/plan/guides and check out the 8 road trips brochure for half day rides.

I would need say, four/five days; two to catch the ferry and travel there and back, and two or three to hang around and pull a couple of rides and maybe swim in the lake.

How about it guys? Thrash this strawman!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

So I know 2015 did the Nakusp -Creston-Salmon Arm trip and I was hoping to provoke some commentary of "Yeah did that, got the T shirt" with an alternate vision from somebody!

Old 02-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

Hi Colonel! Sorry for not seeing and responding to your post earlier.

Typically, the VBA National rally is held every second year (this year at Lake George, NY) and in the alternating years each Region will hold its own Regional rally (or in some cases two adjoining regions ( for example US NW and Canada West in Canmore in 2014). However, with the national that far away this year, I don't anticipate that many from out this way will be making the trek. I'd love to, but just can't take that much time off work.

You bring up a very valid point about doing something for Canada's 150th celebration. Somewhere in interior BC would be a good option; reasonably close for AB & BC riders and even for those coming north from the US.

The Salmon Arm - Nakusp - Creston ride in 2015 was great and as far as I know everyone enjoyed themselves and had a great time. (Well, food service at the restaurant in Nakusp left something to be desired, but we can laugh about it now ) And we did take time to visit the Dreamcycle Museum on the route.

I would be very much in favor of doing something along the concept of a "rolling rally" like that again. Heck, I'd even do the same route again! Perhaps extend it a day or two for those who can fit in the extra time. There are lot of nice back roads in around the Armstrong, Enderby & Vernon area so one could add an extra day just around there. perhaps one day for wine tours??

Any ideas or feedback from anyone else?

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Last edited by canuckrider; 02-04-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Not sure how you usually have this discussion as I only joined last year - is it a poll on dates first with options for number of days? Then once picked a review of suggestions on locale?

The "Dreamcycle" motorcycle museum is between Salmon Arm and Sorrento and with sprockets café next is apparently worthy of a visit.
In response to your questions there is no set format for organizing these things. Usually, most will hound the Region Leader (me, in this case) until he gets off his ass and does something.

And I will attest that the cinnamon rolls at Sprockets are fantastic. Just ask a "fat guy", he'll know where the good food is!

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514

Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

Yup, this fat guy says the cinnamon rolls are great. I'll stay tuned in to a possible date and yes I too could do the same route.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #6

Hey just noticed this post. Did the 2015 ride. Good time. I'll stay tuned for timing too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2006 900 Kawa Classic
2007 1600 Nomad
2013 Voyager

Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #7

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
Hi Colonel! Sorry for not seeing and responding to your post earlier.

Typically, the VBA National rally is held every second year (this year at Lake George, NY) and in the alternating years each Region will hold its own Regional rally (or in some cases two adjoining regions ( for example US NW and Canada West in Canmore in 2014). However, with the national that far away this year, I don't anticipate that many from out this way will be making the trek. I'd love to, but just can't take that much time off work.

You bring up a very valid point about doing something for Canada's 150th celebration. Somewhere in interior BC would be a good option; reasonably close for AB & BC riders and even for those coming north from the US.

The Salmon Arm - Nakusp - Creston ride in 2015 was great and as far as I know everyone enjoyed themselves and had a great time. (Well, food service at the restaurant in Nakusp left something to be desired, but we can laugh about it now ) And we did take time to visit the Dreamcycle Museum on the route.

I would be very much in favor of doing something along the concept of a "rolling rally" like that again. Heck, I'd even do the same route again! Perhaps extend it a day or two for those who can fit in the extra time. There are lot of nice back roads in around the Armstrong, Enderby & Vernon area so one could add an extra day just around there. perhaps one day for wine tours??

Any ideas or feedback from anyone else?
Idaho was nice and so is Washington. Getting a little tired of BC but if we want to join the group....majority rules...anything will be a good time
VBA member #02543

Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawvoy View Post
Idaho was nice and so is Washington. Getting a little tired of BC but if we want to join the group....majority rules...anything will be a good time
Going stateside has been considered but the current exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollar has a few concerned.

VBA Member #01514

Old 02-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
Going stateside has been considered but the current exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollar has a few concerned.
Okay everybody......step off your wallets! Lets go where we want without worrying about exchange rate. Gasoline, beer, food, hotels are so much cheaper, the exchange rate should be a wash.
VBA member #02543

Old 02-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

Exchange rate is a big issue for most. Also some of us can't cross the border.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #11

Dates and location for the 2017 ride have been set. Go to this thread for all the details

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=45450

VBA Member #01514