Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Garry's Fork Brace

Last winter I developed a fork brace for my Voyager, and have had it on my bike now for 20,000 kms. I continue to be amazed at how well it works, the suspension moves more freely and the bike is very stable through curves and bumps. I now have a post in the Classified section for anyone interested in purchasing one for their bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fork brace 003.jpg (90.4 KB, 359 views)

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Got one off Garry last week and it goes on and fits very well, a little tight to get on but if you follow the instructions it goes on pretty good, the hardest part was taking the forks off to remove the chrome cover, I ended up putting the rubber fork protectors on, I found that if I leave the bottom of the rubber boots free from the clamp they work just as well. Make sure you put a small hole in the bottom to let the air out when the rubber compresses or else it can split the boot over time.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

I concur!!!

I too have this brace from Garry. It was most certainly a well needed improvement to the front end of my Vaq...WELL WORTH THE $$!!!

THANX GARRY!!!

RACNRAY

Old 08-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Add me to the list of satisfied customers. Ordered it last weekend, it arrived from Canukistan in five days. EDIT: There was no import or duty taxes.

Looks: As you can see below, it looks factory. The cnc'd aluminum is almost identical to the brushed aluminum look of the lower half of the forks. I went nekkid on the boots, I am thrilled with the appearance. It looks very cool on the bike. Not worried at all about no boots, it's a street bike. Fork seals will be fine.

Install: No big deal, if you have ever taken your forks out, that is all you do. I installed it, changed the fork oil and put on front brake pads in 2.5 hours including putting the tools away.

Performance: I push my Voyager hard, I love curves and twisties. I have a 20 mile route near home that is my after work stress reliever. I know every corner and bump like the back of my hand. I hit it hard this morning and this is one of the top mods I have ever done on any bike as far as bang for the buck. It now runs the corners like it is on rails. Prior to adding this it did not make me confident, I could feel the forks flexing and the bumps made it worse. I have no idea why this thing makes bumps better...even in a straight line...but I am certain it does. The improvement in front end handling is massive.

Pics below. Any questions feel free to ask me. This is an unpaid endorsement. I don't know Garry and if this thing sucked I would say so. Thank you Garry, you have made a great bike awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150815_190623.jpg (42.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150815_190600.jpg (58.0 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by tonik; 08-17-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #5

Why doesn't this work for the Nomad?
||VBA #03091||

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #6

Back in the old days a fork brace was used to tighten up the front end of large touring bikes or bikes without fender. There really isn't any need for one on the Nomad.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
Why doesn't this work for the Nomad?
The 1700 Nomad has smaller diameter fork tubes and narrower centre-to-centre distance than the Voyager and Vaquero. 1500 and 1600 Nomads are even smaller again. My brace fits only the large diameter slider and centre distance.
Any Nomad, and especially those with added trunk and/or fairing could definitely benefit from a fork brace. I'd need a donor bike to work with.

Edit.... VN1700 Nomad fork brace is now available.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Last edited by gv550; 03-01-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

I'd donate, but you're a little far.
||VBA #03091||

Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #9

Ive often thought that a fork brace would help a lot on my Nomad, but it may be tough to make one that fits because of the fork design. I can feel the forks flex a fair bit when I'm going through the corners.
I'm in Newmarket, if you need a donor bike, perhaps we could get together if your interested in trying to make one work.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Ive often thought that a fork brace would help a lot on my Nomad, but it may be tough to make one that fits because of the fork design. I can feel the forks flex a fair bit when I'm going through the corners.
I'm in Newmarket, if you need a donor bike, perhaps we could get together if your interested in trying to make one work.
Private message sent.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Thanks to Steve (ringadingh) I have used his Nomad to prototype a fork brace for the 1500. See the classified section for details.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:09 AM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
I too have this brace from Garry. It was most certainly a well needed improvement to the front end of my Vaq...WELL WORTH THE $$!!!

THANX GARRY!!!

RACNRAY
It's good to hear that it worked for you but I'm just curious as to what issues you folks were having with the bikes that warranted the installation of an additional brace. I did have some front end wandering with my old tires and it didn't inspire much confidence in high speed corners. With a new set of tires at factory spec pressure and fresh fork oil I can let go of the bars at speed or hit any corner with a light touch on the bars and she is rock solid. I actually don't recall the bike riding this nice even when it was new

Last edited by dlars; 09-13-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
It's good to hear that it worked for you but I'm just curious as to what issues you folks were having with the bikes that warranted the installation of an additional brace. I did have some front end wandering with my old tires and it didn't inspire much confidence in high speed corners. With a new set of tires at factory spec pressure and fresh fork oil I can let go of the bars at speed or hit any corner with a light touch on the bars and she is rock solid. I actually don't recall the bike riding this nice even when it was new
I can't speak for Ray, but I can go through my reasons for wanting a fork brace. As you say, with new tires, fresh fluids and good maintenance the stock Voyager actually feels quite solid and well mannered, but I found when riding 2-up, full saddlebags and a trunk full of 'girl' stuff my steering would begin to feel rubbery and the bike would not hold a steady line through a curve if there were any bumps or tar snakes. I have a fork brace on my KLR and felt the improvements it made so I began thinking of a way to mount one on my Voyager. The KLR brace is 9 separate pieces plus 8 capscrews, and 4 nuts...... but I wanted something much simpler and stronger for the big bike. I came up with the design you see here, one piece of aluminum and 2 capscrews.... and no Kawasaki parts are modified, the bike can be put back to stock if you don't like the brace on there.
After installing the brace the bike handles significantly better when loaded heavy, to the point of not being able to feel any flex at all through bumpy curves. As an added benefit, the front suspension just performs so much better even when travelling straight, solo or 2-up.
This mod certainly won't appeal to everyone, and for many riders it may not be warranted.
I recall when Ray introduced his throttle mod, lots of discussion, even a few critics but those who tried it raved about it. I expect there are several hundred riders out there with modified throttle tubes and I haven't heard of anyone wanting it put back to stock!
Same with the fork brace, after having tasted the nectar of better handling and suspension I could never go back to stock..... honestly I'd sell the bike and get a Triumph Trophy or Connie14 if I had to remove the brace.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Last edited by gv550; 09-13-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #14

Let me know if you make one for the 1700 nomad.
||VBA #03091||

Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #15

Do you make one for the 1500 Classic FI?