Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Dobeck TFI Settings

I have an 08 1600 and have on it the following: V & H Dual baggers, K & N filter and coasters. Does anyone have any idea what the pot settings should be? I would like to at least get a ball park to start in before the final tweaking. Thanks much

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #2

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Dobeck TFI Settings

Go to the Kawanow Tech Board under engine and you'll see TFI. Cajunrider will get you there.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 10-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Dobeck TFI Settings

3-6-1-9 will get you started. Tune from there.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #4

Dobeck TFI Settings

What redjay said is a good starting point. I have the open right side intake and V & H Baggers. My current settings are 3:15 - 6:00 - 1:00 - 9:00. Keep in mind that all bikes are different and large differences in elevation can make a difference in the #1 and #2 pot settings. I am located a few feet above sea level but those settings performed well in the mountains of OK and AR this past weekend.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Dobeck TFI Settings

I disagree with that method.

Set pot 4 to 9:00 because it is a rpm counter.

Then start the engine and check for no red led on pot 4. You want no red light.
Turn pot 3 to OFF and leave it OFF (fully counter clockwise)

Then start turning up pot 1 alone, to best rpm and pass it for a worse so you know where that worse IS. Turn pot 1 back to best rpm, then imagine 4 dots between the numbers and set it at barst rpm and 1 dot. If need be trim rpm with the stock black knob, turning rpm for idle down.

IF that happens repeat this step to find best rpm and add 1 dot.

Then test ride, and test ride all you want setting pot 2 for best romp, in gears up to 3rd.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #6

Dobeck TFI Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
I am located a few feet above sea level but those settings performed well in the mountains of OK and AR this past weekend.
Mountains . . . OK . . . AR??? Might as well throw IA and KS in there too.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #7

Dobeck TFI Settings

If you don't initially set #4 to 9 o'clock you won't get a green LED on pot #1. I tuned mine stock and debaffeled and found the best settings were 4-5-1-9 for best performance and least ping. When I traveled up to Custer and hit elevations of over 7,000 feet, it was too rich. I was backfiring on decel and my mpg dropped to the mid to upper 20's. After installing the aftermarket pipes and opening up the right side intake I was able to back down on #1 and increase #2. No ping on 87 octane at any elevation and in the high ambient temperatures we have here. No ping and running lower octane fuel was my goal all along. If I want to compete with sport bikes I'll buy one. And yes Stan, there are mountains in eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas. The highest mountains we have here are overpasses and Mississippi River bridges. Anything over 200 feet is a mountain to me.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Dobeck TFI Settings

Ok I agree that pot 3 can be used to dial out the bark and growel on decell, but with pot 3 off and a hand on the throttle you can also controll that barking, by adding a litttle air, which leans out the decell mix to be quiet.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #9

Dobeck TFI Settings

I have a 05 with V & H plus pro-charger.dobeck recomended 3-3-2-9 for mine and so far runs great !!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #10

Dobeck TFI Settings

[quote=Sin City Stan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cajunrider ":41b0xzk4
I am located a few feet above sea level but those settings performed well in the mountains of OK and AR this past weekend.
Mountains . . . OK . . . AR??? Might as well throw IA and KS in there too. [/quote:41b0xzk4]

Little bit of a side note, but did you know Oklahoma is "one of only four states with more than 10 ecoregions, and has by far, the most per mile in America according to the EPA. Oklahoma’s ecoregions – or, terrains/subclimates – include everything from Rocky Mountain foothills to cypress swamps, tallgrass prairies, and hardwood forests to pine-covered mountains. Each is graced with wide blue lakes, rivers and streams."

Found that at http://www.travelok.com/article_page...erseecoregions

;)

Ok, now back to TFI settings. This info will be good for me to follow as I want to add a TFI to my ride also. Thanks for the input guys.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #11

Dobeck TFI Settings

Yea what he said!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #12

crazy

I know this thread is old, but need a little help. My setup is similar to nomad291, I have an 05 1600 Nomad with the Cobra True-Dual Slashdowns and the K&N filter. Intake and coasters are still stock at the moment. Hope to change that eventually but have to work with money I have. I have the Dobeck TFI-2050ST (pugin model) and want to install. Saw those directions and am going to try it myself. As for the settings, I don't have a tach on my bike and am curious what settings to start with. I do most of the services on my bike myself but have never TUNED one. Bike has always run well, but hear this will allow it to run better. Are the 3-6-1-9 settings good to start here or what should i do?

Thanks
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #13

Just go to their website at http://dobeckperformance.com/

It will tell you were to start. Otherwise give them a call, nice guys, Their shop is only 5-6 miles from me. Plan On taking mine down for a dyno tune this spring. I have the GEN3 system on mine. very easy to adjust.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
The way I do these is install the unit, start the engine and run it to full warmed up, maybe ride it to get there with all pots OFF.

Once the engine is at full warm depending on the day and the temp I might run a box fan at at the rad/engine to keep it cool enough.

Then set pot 4 to 9:00 which is the RPM counter.

Then turn pot 1 slowly clock wise listening to RPM, unless you have a tach, in which case watch that looking for the highest RPM, and pass it for a lesser RPM for sure.

Then rev the throttle a little bit to clear the engine of idle excess fuel and slowly turn pot 1 back towards counter clockwise again seeking the highest RPM.

Pass that to leaner and again refine pot 1 moving the dial clockwise seeking best RPM.

(If the best RPM is getting too high and sort of above any reasonable idle speed RPM turn the stock black know on the right side counter clockwise slowly! By pulling back sharply on the knob and turning it. These tend to turn hard and you need to pull on them to engage the 2 lugs.)

IF you needed to do that above do it and again refine pot 1 for best RPM.

Once you find best RPM (fastest) with in reason if the black knob was involved or not, then set the pot screw slot ahead by 2 dots between numbers (richer). That won't change RPM in any way you can see on a tach or hear.

Then go for a nice ride and see how just the setting of pot 1 has changed the way the engine runs.

'IF' idle comes up and or if in downshifting the bike feels like it won't engine brake, turn down the black knob more and refine pot 1 again.

When pot 1 is all happy, and you can use a track, air port runway or a out in the boonies road where you won't get a ticket from the cops you can mess about with pot 2 best.

The only time pot 2 works is when you are twisting the wick hard. This pot will want you just buggin' out and goin' like a demon... So all that happens here is guessing unless you have access to a Dyno.

You will be in only 2nd or 3rd gear and trying to decide if you have more or less power between whole numbers. i would set it to either 3 right off and work to 6 or start at 6 and work down seeking best power and speed.

This is that place in life where everything other people, usually yer parents said something about all yer brains being in yer butt that makes them perfectly correct, because by the seat of your pants you must be able to tell what feels like the best power.

The stock ECU does what pot 3 does well and you should leave it off.

If pot 4 doesn't blink you haven't hooked up the TFI correctly when it is set to 9 and it should blink down to around 4. For the TFI to work Pot 4 must be blinking red and must be at 4 to 9
I've found that post (often repeated in short form as up there in this thread) from Mac to be the definitive guide for dialling in a Dobeck TFI. It really should be pinned somewhere for posterity... although he's repeated it so often that most searches find it.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)