Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #106

I'm an Ivan fan. My 1700 Voyager runs great now, and fortunately for us here in NC, we ride all year.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #107

Hi Guys

When getting the ECU back from Ivan after being flashed (Vaquero), is it as simple as dropping it back in the bike and connecting back up, or do you have some other setup steps to do?

Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #108

Welcome to the forum!

He will send you instructions on the procedure. It's very simple.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #109

I finally got the big three completed on my 2012 Nomad. Cobra exhaust w/ Chucksters Ultimate baffles, Chucksters BAK and Ivan's flash. Now the bike runs like it should! No popping and tons of power. I highly recommend doing it to any Vulcan owner!
Ivan's flash and lots of other stuff

"God is good even when we aren't!!"

Old 03-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #110

Does an Ivanized ECU = a healthier engine?

I'm not a pro mechanic or a mechanical engineer, but it seems like the changes Ivan's flash provides should benefit the health of the engine as well as improve its performance. It seems logical that running cooler with better fueling would put less stress on the engine and improve its longevity.

Since the flash has been available for a few years now and quite a few here have had it done, I was wondering if any of you with more mechanical expertise have seen some engine health benefits from Ivanizing. If so, if I can't find a used Voyager that's been Ivanized, should I just look for non-Ivanized bikes with low miles?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #111

Hey we all had at least the majority on here non-Ivanized bikes that we upgraded with Ivan. Some had lower miles some had higher mileage. I doubt very much if Ivan's mod helps improve how long a bike will last as to many factors in that. Yes it does run a bit cooler by my oil temp guage but not that you would notice it is running cooler. It mainly by what it has done to my bike made it not a back firing farting stumble and just plain pain in the ___ bike. It makes it run so smooth with no hick ups at all.

How long a bike lasts might have something to do with how you care for bike, or abuse the bike. It is like death when it is going to break down it will do so not because of Ivan but because well death the time has come.

Anyone who does not get their bike Ivanized well your missing out on an adventure of a lifetime with a Vulcan as it makes it the perfect bike better than a Wing if you ask me or most bikes out there. With out it Ivanized it is a low down dirty dog.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #112
Top Contributor

"If so, if I can't find a used Voyager that's been Ivanized, should I just look for non-Ivanized bikes with low miles" ?

Yes. Then get Ivans flash.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #113

I would look for the bike you will fall in love with not set your mind so hard on the Ivanization aspect. If you find the one you want you will enjoy the bike even more once you get it ivanized. Low miles are always nice for a fact and I am sure you can find one out there.

I have bought in past 15 year old bikes with 1500 kms on the bike. Some people buy toys and never use them. Motorhomes are like that also allot of low miles that have sat for years not used. It can be a good thing it can be a bad thing for something to sit that long and not be started if that is the case. Seals dry out and so do some bearings and things just happen to things that are not used. Jay Leno will always say a car or bike that is used often is better and probably in better shape than one that has sat. I believe him in that theory also.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
Hey we all had at least the majority on here non-Ivanized bikes that we upgraded with Ivan. Some had lower miles some had higher mileage. I doubt very much if Ivan's mod helps improve how long a bike will last as to many factors in that. Yes it does run a bit cooler by my oil temp guage but not that you would notice it is running cooler. It mainly by what it has done to my bike made it not a back firing farting stumble and just plain pain in the ___ bike. It makes it run so smooth with no hick ups at all.

How long a bike lasts might have something to do with how you care for bike, or abuse the bike. It is like death when it is going to break down it will do so not because of Ivan but because well death the time has come.

Anyone who does not get their bike Ivanized well your missing out on an adventure of a lifetime with a Vulcan as it makes it the perfect bike better than a Wing if you ask me or most bikes out there. With out it Ivanized it is a low down dirty dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
"If so, if I can't find a used Voyager that's been Ivanized, should I just look for non-Ivanized bikes with low miles" ?

Yes. Then get Ivans flash.
Quote:
I would look for the bike you will fall in love with not set your mind so hard on the Ivanization aspect. If you find the one you want you will enjoy the bike even more once you get it ivanized. Low miles are always nice for a fact and I am sure you can find one out there.

I have bought in past 15 year old bikes with 1500 kms on the bike. Some people buy toys and never use them. Motorhomes are like that also allot of low miles that have sat for years not used. It can be a good thing it can be a bad thing for something to sit that long and not be started if that is the case. Seals dry out and so do some bearings and things just happen to things that are not used. Jay Leno will always say a car or bike that is used often is better and probably in better shape than one that has sat. I believe him in that theory also.
So the takeaway is VN1700 owners who've had their bikes Ivanized are likely to live longer than those who haven't because they'll be happier, less frustrated, and therefore have lower blood pressure than those who haven't Ivanized.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #115

No we become more insane once out bikes are ivanized. We rided it more and we care for it more. Be become addicted to the bike and have to take courses with how to deal with out addiction. We join many forums and read about our bikes.

We become dangerous to be in the company of.

Beware this could happen to you also.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:29 AM   #116

Toku57, it does seem reasonable (to me) that if the internal environmnet of the engine is better, then a better longevity could follow. Probably more important is regular mainteance with good quality products.
To Buckey's point, all of that love and care will probably lead to an obession and addiction. Ultimately causing us to be commited. I just hope they let me tape pictures to my padded walls...
:)

Old 03-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #117

Quote:
No we become more insane once out bikes are ivanized. We rided it more and we care for it more. Be become addicted to the bike and have to take courses with how to deal with out addiction. We join many forums and read about our bikes.

We become dangerous to be in the company of.

Beware this could happen to you also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Toku57, it does seem reasonable (to me) that if the internal environmnet of the engine is better, then a better longevity could follow. Probably more important is regular mainteance with good quality products.
To Buckey's point, all of that love and care will probably lead to an obession and addiction. Ultimately causing us to be commited. I just hope they let me tape pictures to my padded walls...
:)
Sounds good to me, guys - I get tired of acting like a responsible grownup!

Old 03-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #118

Quote:
Sounds good to me, guys - I get tired of acting like a responsible grownup!
Yes, Toku57 You Get it. You have it. I went from 27.5 MPH pre Ivan to 25.3 Ivanized. You most likely get better mileage but, WEEEEE Off I go. Did Not by it for the mileage anyway. ( Stock Tire replaced at 5100 miles) And was still smiling when I paid for the new one.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #119

Good morning!

I am planning on sending Ivan my ECU in the next few days and still have a few questions from those who have gone before me.

First is fuel mileage. Browsing through this thread I seem to see quite a difference in fuel mileage change from Ivanising. Some up and some down. I am getting about 33 mpg with stock air box and a K&N filter. Stock mufflers. Should I expect the mileage to go up? That is my hope and one of the reasons I want to Ivanize.

Second is pipes. I would like to go to the Vance and Hines slash cut rounds. However, I have a Chucksters hitch installed (love it by the way) and am now wondering if the hitch will work with the V&H's without modification. The hitch is more important to me than the pipes...

Thanks ahead of time for any wisdom that can be shared!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #120

Take no stock in the fuel mileage as that is all relevant to how you drive also. Some are more aggressive on the throttle than others. Some drive at a higher rate of speed than others. It all makes a large difference.

I noticed with my bike when I go to Jasper Park or Banff Park my mileage soars at the higher altitude. It makes a large difference. I should not think you should blame it on Ivan for the most part. These bikes ran so poor before Ivan I would imagine that now that they run near perfect we all tend to lay on the throttle a little more I know I do.

Sorry not sure on the hitch at all with your pipes you want wish I knew.

Dave