Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Instructions, Tutorials, Part Info, Recal Info, etc. > Periodic Maintenance

Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

Seafoam And Carb Cleaner

A lot of guys will notice that after a season or so their bike doesn't idle like it did when new, and they may find that they end up turning the idle up a bit to get it back where it was, or your fuel mileage is going down for no apparent reason.
The reason for this is that dirt builds up in the throttle body especially where the butterfly's sit. They are meant to be open just a hair at idle, but when a ring of dirt builds up it restricts the air flow and your idle speed drops.
The first time I did this my bike was revving like mad when I was done the cleaning and I had to turn the idle screw down a couple turns. And my mileage improved about 40 miles per tank.

There is an easy cure for this,and it only takes a few minutes to fix.
Get yourself a spray can of Carb cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Remove your RH air filter so you can get to the throttle body.

Spray carb cleaner into the throttle body while your motor is running, youll have to twist the throttle a bit to keep it running as it will try to stall. If it does, restarting may be a little more sluggish but it will start.

Spray about ten seconds worth into each throttle barrell.

Then shut the bike off and scrub as far inside the throttle body as you can reach while holding the throttle wide open with your toothbrush. Pay particular attention around the butterflies.

Thats it, your done, install your air cleaner and ride.

Adding Seafoam to your gas tank a couple times a season helps keep your fuel stabilized over winter, and your engine clean inside. It frees sticky rings, cleans valves and keeps the combustion chamber clean. I can feel the difference in my bike when I use it.
Add about an ounce per gallon of gas and thats it.

I also add about four ounces to the oil 200 -300 miles before Im due for an oil change once a season. This keeps any sludge and varnish from building up inside the motor.

Its available at most auto parts stores.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads