Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #1

Early prep for next winter riding season

A question for those living in the northern tier of states or joining states and the Canadian riders. What do you wear to ride when it gets really cold way up there? Really cold down here in the damp, balmy, warm south is probably just rather chilly to y'all, but I'm getting long in the tooth and the 30s F is getting tougher to handle. I intend to remain a year round, pert near daily rider, on my 01, for several more years. Any info to help me achieve that will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #2

I wear snowmobile pants with a high back on them, and a polar fleece top under my leather jacket. Good gloves are a must since this will be the first thing to get cold when your riding. I also wear a polar fleece balaclava under a full face helmet. This is important as well. If you seal out any air leaks around you neck and cuffs, you trap the warm air inside and you can last for quite a while. Ive ridden into the low teens here and except for my fingers cooling down after a while I stay very comfortable.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

Gerbing heated gear is amazing stuff.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #4

I have 5 pairs of heavy gloves and none seem to work that well. I wonder if a different class of glove is sold in the northern areas. And I have considered battery heated gloves, but do not know enough about them to make an educated guess.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #5

Not to high jack the thread but I have to ask...Utah, did you draw that beard and mustache on?
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...=14788&start=0
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny
I have 5 pairs of heavy gloves and none seem to work that well. I wonder if a different class of glove is sold in the northern areas. And I have considered battery heated gloves, but do not know enough about them to make an educated guess.
One thing to remember when wearing gloves in cold weather
make sure they are not tight or constricting in any way. ;)

I always buy cold weather riding gloves BIG so as to have a loose fit & I always wear silk liners.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #8

FirstGear Kilaminjaro jacket with liner, FirstGear mesh overpants with wind proof lining, and Tour Master Winter Elite gloves. If it is mid-30's or lower and the ride is multiple hours, I wear a sweatshirt along with a long sleeve T-shirt under the jacket.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Advanced Member

• Gerbing jacket liner (not vest)[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
  • Gerbing glove liners[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
  • Waterproof mittens (Mittens work on the 3-dog night principle. Fingers can help each other stay warm) That, plus the liners made my normal gloves too tight and, well, mittens do the job fine)[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
  • Full face helmet[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
  • Balaclava(?)[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
  • Windshield[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
  • Crash guard chaps[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
  • Quilted overalls (cheaper than snowmobile pants)[/*:m:6d1wurqn]
With all the snow we've had this winter, I really haven't gotten to ride in the cold-cold (re-freezing roads are scarier than deer to me).

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #10

If your going to ride in cold weather regularly, handle grip heaters work well. There are some good ones available out there know. I know that the electric vests, gloves, jackets and all do work well, but I just don't like being wired to the bike at all.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Yea Ring
I agree...I love my heated gloves but I really dislike having to run wires here and there just to enjoy the ride.
I might have to invest in grip heaters next winter.
I am assuming you have some so let me ask...are they really nice and warm? Through the gloves as well?
Thanks

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I know that the electric vests, gloves, jackets and all do work well, but I just don't like being wired to the bike at all.
And that's why I put it off for so long. The wires are a relative hassle--there is a definite procedure to follow to make sure that when everything is zipped and plugged that everything is zipped and plugged.

However--Cruising toasty warm for over an hour below freezing at highway speed melts the hassle away very quickly.

Also, I'm wired to the bike, but I've heard the re-chargable battery set-ups work very well (I was skeptical at the time of purchase, but have since heard that they perform for hours at a time.)

Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #13

I rode for many years without heated gear and now that I have it I am sorry I waited so long. Why be cold when you are riding? Wiring yourself to the bike takes less than a minute.
I have crash bar chaps and they keep my feet and lower legs warm. I wear flannel lined jeans and that keeps my legs warm. I have just bought and tried the National Cycle Hand Deflectors and I love them. It was in the mid 40's today and I just wore my winter gloves and not my heated gloves and my fingers stayed warm for 130 miles. They worked so well that I ordered a pair for my wife's bike when we got home from our ride.
My heated clothing consists of a Gerbing liner and T-5 gloves, which I got for Christmas and have only used twice, and a Aerostitch Airvantage heated vest, which I have had for a couple of years. I love the Aerostitch vest, but my fingers froze in 30 and 40 degree weather. The Gerbing liner and gloves with microwire technology is awesome. Almost instant heat, and the day it was 34 and I was out riding I could only turn the heat up to about 50%, because anymore than that and I ended up burning the skin around my neck and on my arms. I would give the gloves 10 out of 10, but the liner I would only give a 7 out of 10 because while the fit was good around my chest and I felt heat there, it did not fit good around my stomach and it felt slightly chilled. Not uncomfortably chilled, but you noticed the difference.