Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-19-2023, 03:09 PM   #1

Small coolant leak AFTER motor is shut off?

Just replaced my radiator & only rode a few times so far. No leaks when parked or running or immediately after shutting off. However, after a few minutes, 5 or so it leaks maybe a teaspoon of coolant from the front left bottom of the radiator.

Hard to see where exactly its leaking from so will try leaving the bike straight up on stands & maybe I can get a better look at where its coming from.

I have read about a water pump weep hose, someone told me theirs did the same and leaked in the front & had to replace the water pump seal and it stopped leaking. If that is the case, where would I find that vent hose?

If I can't locate where the leak is originating, I will remove the new radiator & have it tested and if bad I will just have them test and see if they can repair my orig radiator.

Its a 06 1600 with 64k so need to replace all the hoses anyway. Any ideas on what would cause a leak AFTER the motor is shut off & not while running?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I am stating the obvious but are you sure the drain plug is tight enough and that is has a rubber washer on it ?

Old 09-19-2023, 09:40 PM   #3

I believe that is the source. I have it leveled after a ride and can see it coming from the drain plug. But since you mentioned I looked more closely & realized the bottom of my cheap ebay Chinese radiator is not the same as stock with the recessed round area for the plug & washer. It came with an inset plug with an o-ring but didn't really look at that closely like I should have. Now I can see the rubber washer is kind of squeezed out & deformed so will use the one that came with it and that will most likely solve the issue although it is not leaking today.

This radiator took a lot of fabricating to make it fit, all the holes that mount the screen were wrong, the hole at the top that mounts to the frame was wrong, one of the holes for the cover and also one hole for the fan were off & had to be re-drilled.

UPDATE:
Finally, I heard a hiss coming from the top radiator hose and just had to tighten the clamp and it seems to fine now. It wasn't loose but still had to tighten it down. It was leaking straight down to the drain plug. Ordered new hoses and will replace them all. So I should replace the pipes, o-rings, thermostat & cap at the same time right?

I have seen some people say they had to remove a lot to get to one of the pipes and some say you just bend or cut the tab?

Also its an 06 1600 with 64k what else should I do with the cooling system?

Last edited by virtualgeorge; 09-19-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Tags
coolant, leak, radiator, water pump