Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-01-2023, 11:27 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Getting closer to mounting the Pacifico Shadow fairing onto my VN1600 Classic. Lots of cutting/notching required to fit around the bulbous fuel tank. The more curvy shape of the Yamaha 1100 Star front fender looks much better than the bulky look of the stock Classic fender, especially with the larger diameter Mean Streak front wheel and lower profile radial front tire. I really like how the lines/curves of the Pacifico Shadow fairing compliment the Classic lines. I think they pair very well together. I am planning 4" LED driving lights in place of the big gumpy looking turn signals. I am replacing the rectangular side marker lights with a semi-triangular light from a Smart car. Those, along with the directionals built into the mirror heads will be the turn signals. I'd like to get bronze tinted acrylic to make the windshield but I don't have a big enough oven to heat up the acrylic sheet enough (350 degrees F) to form it to the shape to match the fairing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VN1600 fairing a.jpg (33.1 KB, 15 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by andyvh1959; 08-04-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:17 PM   #17

I thin it'll look killer once once done....I love the frame mounted fairings on long trips, the wind doesn't whip you around near as bad as a batwing....
I found a vintage pacifico I'm gonna try to mount on this trike I'm building, since the nomad neck mounts to the front of the heads....mount is gonna be fun!

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 08-11-2023, 01:02 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Thanks DL. I agree, the more I look at how the lines of the Pacifico Shadow work with the lines of the Classic and Nomad, its almost like Kawasaki should have adapted the Shadow to these bikes to creat a Road Glide model of the 1600. That pic attached in my earlier post also shows the metal Yamaha 1100 front fender I mounted because it has a much better shape than the stock Classic/Nomad fender. I also changed to the Mean Streak wheels/tires, and that along took 26 lbs off the bike.

I can send you pics of how much I had to cut out the inside of the fairing to clear the tank and fork legs. It takes more than you'd think, but it can be done. Its easy to fab filler pieces from ABS sheet stock and "weld" the filler pieces in with a 1500 watt soldering iron. I also use black ABS plumbing cement to bond ABS pieces into the fairing and also "wick" it in place to creat fillets. Plain ol Acetone also works very well on bonding ABS. After welding/bonding in the filler panels, I wipe the areas briefly with a rag with Acetone, and then I bursh on black pickup bend liner material which creates a "nubbly" satin interior finsh that looks close to a factory style finish (and it hides blemishes easily).

On my friend's VN900 I modified the Pacifico mount to clamp onto the crash bar using screw drive clamps. But for my 1600 I am fabbing a metal bracket to mount onto the steering head area of the frame and extend forward to a mount plate which will be a surface to bolt the fairing in place, like a Road Glide fairing mount. You might even be able to use a Road Glide fairing mount and modify it to fit the Nomad.

These fairings can be found on CL and FBM. The one I am mounting on my Classic I found on CL for $40, complete, but dirty and full of mouse nests/crap. I bought another perfect, presitine Pacifico Shadow that looks like it was never mounted for $80. I'd even buy one that has some minor crash damage/cracks, because it can be repaired quite easily using a soldering iron, Acetone and ABS pipe cement. I chose the dirty fairing for my Classic because it also has the fresh ar vents that I can open to direct cool air flow behind the fairing, a neat feature.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 08-12-2023 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #19
Top Contributor

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.