Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #1

Pushing Starter Button Kills all power

I have a 1999 vulcan nomad 1500 G1 I am original owner usually extremely reliable ride Two days ago went for about a 7 mile ride went into a place maybe 30 mins turned on key in ignition every thing came on like normal I hit the starter button heard what kinda sounded like a quick electrical short 1 second maybe and all power was dead I mean nothing totally dead I have tested all fuses with multi-tester including main 30 amp thats on the starter relay behind coolant reservoir tested battery 12.8 volts tested ignition switch with multi-tester it is good those are the main components that i know could kill all power if not functioning correctly and i have been able to recreate the problem again two times by seems like just waiting and turning key on and off several times like 10 or 15 times with same result when i hit the start button it makes that little zit sound like a 1 second short and kills all power when i do get power when i turn key on everything else seems to work ok horn stereo turn signals running lights two of the times i was trying to recreate the problem i was turning on and off the headlight hi low beam switch and power poped back on but thats not consistent and i was turning key off and on one of those times I just dont know what else could kill all power like this except main 30 amp fuse battery or shutting off ignition switch and they are all tested good I am thinking may starter relay but not ever heard of one killing all power to bike also cleaned all connections with electrical contact cleaner even a stuck starter or bad starter button shouldnt kill all power to the bike any help or directional push be greatly appreciated

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2023, 01:35 AM   #2

Faulty kill switch ?

Old 06-05-2023, 07:34 AM   #3

Check that bundle of neutral wires that are down under and just in front the battery. On the brake side. These are known to short out and about everything on the bike comes to this junction..
The kill switch Mick mention could also be it.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 06-05-2023, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
Check that bundle of neutral wires that are down under and just in front the battery. On the brake side. These are known to short out and about everything on the bike comes to this junction..
The kill switch Mick mention could also be it.
Good shout mate. Mine had got oil on from the clutch seal, under the engine side cover, and burnt the plugs out.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #5

Actually it turned out to be a bad fusible link I put into the wiring harness

i forgot to mention I built this ride from the Ground up with a few mods here and there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyBikeNight1_croped2.jpg (45.0 KB, 8 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads