Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #1

Tool Kits

I looked in the Nomad and it did not come with the tool kit. On the Honda I upgraded to Sears tools and tools for the addons, WHAT tools do I need for a basic set up.. What tools are MUST HAVEs,,,,Thanks,,It will hit 40s this week and maybe 50 ,, SO I may be riding soon :).....THANKs...............Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #2

Tool Kits

Are you sure you don't have a tool kit. On my bike its hidden under a tray that unclips, behind the LH sidecover. I found it by accident cleaning the bike when I first bought it. All you need though is a few metric wrenches from 8 to 14mm, a plug wrench and a philips screwdriver. Pliers are always handy to have also.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #3

Tool Kits

You also get a couple allen wrenches in the stock kit to adjust the windshield, and a tire gauge. I also pack a small socket kit, an electric air pump, and most of all: a tire plug kit. So far my only on-the-road failures with the Nomad have been from nails in the tires. Make sure you have a 10mm to get the seat off & tighten battery cables. A socket with extention really is the best for that, and for removing the bags as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #4

Tool Kits

LOOK TWICE IT IS IN BOTTOM OF LEFT SIDE COVER A BOX IN A BOX THING!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #5

Tool Kits

I lead our Motorcycle Fellowship group and usually carry a first aid kit and tool bag. It may seem like a lot but it's come in handy to keep the group going. I made up this tool roll bag. Plus I carry a Tire patch/plug kit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #6

Tool Kits

THANKS.. I got the bike used in Nov,, and Looked but not tools.Just a empty space :( . I have a Bunch of tool for my Sabre,, BUT I am giving those to my son,, He bought the Sabre,,,BUT agree Sockets and extension are a PLUS,a tire patch kit also.. THANKS for the info,,,,Ill start a new kit. Can we say SEARs :) ONE thing I did get was the ratchet wrench's that have a picot head,, AWSOME.......,,,,,,,,Rich

Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Tool Kits

One tool I added to mine was a small pair of vice grips. If you drop the bike & break a brake or clutch lever, you can use the vice grips as a temporary fix until you get home. -Rich

Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Tool Kits

good tip redeye. i bought a small 1/4 drive metric socket set at Sears, with extension, added a swivel and have a nice sized tool kit to have in a bag.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #9

Tool Kits

Quote:
One tool I added to mine was a small pair of vice grips. If you drop the bike & break a brake or clutch lever, you can use the vice grips as a temporary fix until you get home. -Rich
Real good tip.. Ill add that to my list,,,,THANKs Rich

Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #10

Tool Kits

I first thought my bike didn't have the tool kit in it too. I looked in the manual again and went back to the bike and found the box inside the LH side box. It's a hidden compartment.

Sounds like you have great tips on what tools to pack.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 04-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #11

Tool Kits

Quote:
I first thought my bike didn't have the tool kit in it too. I looked in the manual again and went back to the bike and found the box inside the LH side box. It's a hidden compartment.

Yea some great tips. I just check the L side again,, I got the hold down strap but no tools LOL.Rich

Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Tool Kits

all new Nomads come with a minor tool kit,,

Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to bikerjohn
Tool Kits

I brought the tool pouch kit from Cruz Tolls... The roadtech M3.. Got it on sale at J.C. Whitney..
Have one for my Sabre and my new Nomad.. Will get a tire repair kit though, last road trip we were on, one of our riders got a screw in his tire, I also saw at www.cyclegear.com a Slime Power Sport Tire inflator (#4026) runs on battery power, and if you already have the leads installed for a battery tender plus, you can use that hook up for power. Thats on my next to do list.. Just thought I would pass the info.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Tool Kits

good tip bikerjohn,,,,

Old 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Tool Kits

Quote:
[quote:bp1g5rs7]I first thought my bike didn't have the tool kit in it too. I looked in the manual again and went back to the bike and found the box inside the LH side box. It's a hidden compartment.

Yea some great tips. I just check the L side again,, I got the hold down strap but no tools LOL.Rich[/quote:bp1g5rs7]

The hold down strap is for the carbon cannister on Cali bikes...the tool kit is under that...you have to pull the little knob out to open up another compartment.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC