Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #1

on going electrical problem

I have read of the 1500 carbed Nomads, having the connectors from the 2 stators, burning out at the white plugs under the left hand engine cover. Mine has been doing that for some time, but kept on running good. It dont anymore. I have replaced the connectors, again, and checked the stators for resistance. Also fitted new coils, plugs, leads, and caps. Yet still one of the wires from the inner stator gets hot.I am convinced that is why it runs bad. I am leaning towards an electrical short some place. Next step for me is to pare down the wiring harness from arse end up, looking for a problem. Can anyone who has had the same/ similar problem, let me know what they found please.

I have also read that these bikes are prone to lack a of earth connections. Any help on how to overcome that problem would be appreciated. Thank you. Mick.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I have read of the 1500 carbed Nomads, having the connectors from the 2 stators, burning out at the white plugs under the left hand engine cover. Mine has been doing that for some time, but kept on running good. It dont anymore. I have replaced the connectors, again, and checked the stators for resistance. Also fitted new coils, plugs, leads, and caps. Yet still one of the wires from the inner stator gets hot.I am convinced that is why it runs bad. I am leaning towards an electrical short some place. Next step for me is to pare down the wiring harness from arse end up, looking for a problem. Can anyone who has had the same/ similar problem, let me know what they found please.

I have also read that these bikes are prone to lack a of earth connections. Any help on how to overcome that problem would be appreciated. Thank you. Mick.
Mick, you could conceivably have a short in the insulation on the windings. Look for a place that does electric motor rewinds and ask them to test it. Be warned, they'll push about 750V~ through the 3 tails. if its not got a problem, it'll be fine. If its Chooched, it'll go down in flames... Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure.... JC

Old 02-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipereed View Post
Mick, you could conceivably have a short in the insulation on the windings. Look for a place that does electric motor rewinds and ask them to test it. Be warned, they'll push about 750V~ through the 3 tails. if its not got a problem, it'll be fine. If its Chooched, it'll go down in flames... Nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure.... JC
Thanks mate. If i dont get the bastard running soon, i am going to burn it anyway. Seriously though. I have good reason to believe that the inner stator is getting flooded with oil. On account of me hearing a crunching sound, as i wound the bolt in, at the left, bottom of the inner casing. It was too long for the place i put it in. I always figured that sound would come back and give me problems.

Last edited by mick56; 02-07-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks mate. If i dont get the bastard running soon, i am going to burn it anyway.
fingers crossed for you...

Old 02-08-2020, 02:32 AM   #5

Quote:

Mick, usually the melting of wires and plugs is usually the sign of a stator starting to go out, or a regulator. Possibly both....
Now, the stators pump out really high voltages while the engine is running up above idle speeds, approaching 70 volts...., so, any resistance at the plugs and wires, cause alot of heat, and it melts plugs.
Me myself, I change out the regulators and the stators both. Yea, its more expensive than just replacing a single burnt out stator or regulator, but they work together as a system. I've had no problems when replacing them as a set.
Watch for the el cheapo regulators that have waaaay to light-weight wires....they'll last for a short period of time, then they can go bad, sometimes taking a stator along with it....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2020, 06:13 AM   #6

Both of the stators were tested, and found to be good.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #7

It's not just a Nomad problem.

Assuming the stators are good, one way to prevent this from happening again is to cut out the connectors and solder the wires together. Just make sure it is done right. A bad job of soldering could be worse than the plugs. Moisture can get in those connectors and the pins can corrode with age and exposure causing increased resistance and excessive heat. If you don't want to hard wire it, slather the connectors with dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

Even if the stators test good, you may still want to consider changing them and the R/Rs out. Or at least be aware that they could fail at any time. They can still be damaged and on their way to failure and test as good...for a while. Been there, done that. As DL said, stators going bad can damage the connectors, but it works both ways. Connectors going bad can damage the stators. When the stators are trying to produce power and that power has no where to go, it is converted to heat. Heat is a stator's worst enemy. Think about how an electric motor overheats when it has power applied but can't turn. A stator is just the reverse of a motor being spun to produce electricity instead of using electricity to spin it. If I read your first post right, you have burned out multiple plugs. Every time this has happened you have put excess strain on the stators.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
It's not just a Nomad problem.

Assuming the stators are good, one way to prevent this from happening again is to cut out the connectors and solder the wires together. Just make sure it is done right. A bad job of soldering could be worse than the plugs. Moisture can get in those connectors and the pins can corrode with age and exposure causing increased resistance and excessive heat. If you don't want to hard wire it, slather the connectors with dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

Even if the stators test good, you may still want to consider changing them and the R/Rs out. Or at least be aware that they could fail at any time. They can still be damaged and on their way to failure and test as good...for a while. Been there, done that. As DL said, stators going bad can damage the connectors, but it works both ways. Connectors going bad can damage the stators. When the stators are trying to produce power and that power has no where to go, it is converted to heat. Heat is a stator's worst enemy. Think about how an electric motor overheats when it has power applied but can't turn. A stator is just the reverse of a motor being spun to produce electricity instead of using electricity to spin it. If I read your first post right, you have burned out multiple plugs. Every time this has happened you have put excess strain on the stators.
Absolutely, test fine on all 3 windings but breaks down under heavy load. This usually means a failure of the insulation on the windings.