Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #1

Fuel Pump?

After a days ride, parked bike in garage. Next day turned ignition switch and could hear fuel pump cycle, engine turned over but would not fire. Checked plugs and had spark but plugs were dry.
Sprayed gas in cylinders and replaced plugs. Engine started but died. Obviously, not getting fuel. Next step was to remove gas tank. Drained most of the gas and removed tank. However, when I disconnected the pressure line from the fuel pump, gas did not just drip a few drops, but continued to flow.

Would this indicate a fuel pump failure?

( 2006 Nomad with 40,000 miles. Stock engine.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #2

Fuel Pump?

Do you hear the fuel pump cycle each time the ignition is turned on? Does everything else on the speedo cycle when you turn the ignition switch on? The reason I ask is there is a fuse for the pump and also check the connections on the two and three post electrical plugs under the seat.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #3

Fuel Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Do you hear the fuel pump cycle each time the ignition is turned on? Does everything else on the speedo cycle when you turn the ignition switch on? The reason I ask is there is a fuse for the pump and also check the connections on the two and three post electrical plugs under the seat.
Yes, everything on the speedo cycles each time the ignition switch is turned on.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #4

Fuel Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay
There is something wrong if fuel continues to flow after removing the fuel line. But it would not stop the flow if the fuel line still flows. Are you sure the kill engine switch is not off ?
Engine turns over so I don't believe any kill switches are preventing the engine from starting.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Fuel Pump?

Are the injectors firing?

With the tank off you may be able to hear them, or possibly with the air cleaner off. If not, then put your finger on one while turning the engine over and feel for pulses.

It could be the ecu/ecm.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Fuel Pump?

Does it attempt to fire at all? You said when you sprayed gas it fired but died. If it doesn't fire at all then it isn't getting gas to the plugs. Could be a problem with the fuel pump or a line stopped up. Other than that I'm not sure. Be sure and give us an update.

The fuel injector is only a nozzle and a valve: the power to inject the fuel comes from a pump or a pressure container farther back in the fuel supply. In our case a fuel pump located in the gas tank. It could be possible the injectors are not letting the fuel pass. Might try Seafoam to clean them out.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #7

Fuel Pump?

Id guess that the pump is worn out for some reason. If you can hear it buzzing when you turn on the ignition, its getting power. The fuel flowing continuosly doesn't sound right when you remove the hose. Id assume its not building enough pressure to run the bike.
There is also an internal filter in the tank, make sure its ok as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #8

Fuel Pump?

Coot. The bike will power up the display, run the fuel pump for 5-10 and appears to bring up pressure then stops Correct? Or does the pump make noise and never stop? If it never stops you probably have a pump/filter/pressure regulator problem and it's all one piece so buy the misubushi pump and replace it.
If everything comes up, the pump brings up presure and then waits for the motor to be started so you spin the starter but the engine makes no "combustion" noises correct. And you have held the throttle open and cranked the starter for 30 seconds a couple times in a row and then pulled a plug and they appear dry? And while the plug is out you pushed the plug thread(reconnected to plug wire) up against the engine fins, spun the started and you got a nice crack sound and blu-white colored strong spark, Correct? If the spark is yellow, sort of dim and quiet, you have an ignition problem to trouble shoot. If blu-white colored strong sparkis the case make one final test which is buy some spray "starting fluid" (usually yellow airisol can cause it's either in the can), take the Right side dog bowl off and power up , get fuel pressure, open throttle about 1/2 way, hit starter button and spray the either in the throttle body. If the motor fires and will run when you spray then you have a fuel flow problem and I am with Tim, start testing the ECM.
let me qualify the advice with, this is what I would do, but some one else might go a completely different way?
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #9

Fuel Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
Coot. The bike will power up the display, run the fuel pump for 5-10 and appears to bring up pressure then stops Correct? Or does the pump make noise and never stop? If it never stops you probably have a pump/filter/pressure regulator problem and it's all one piece so buy the misubushi pump and replace it.
If everything comes up, the pump brings up pressure and then waits for the motor to be started so you spin the starter but the engine makes no "combustion" noises correct. And you have held the throttle open and cranked the starter for 30 seconds a couple times in a row and then pulled a plug and they appear dry? And while the plug is out you pushed the plug thread(reconnected to plug wire) up against the engine fins, spun the started and you got a nice crack sound and blu-white colored strong spark, Correct? If the spark is yellow, sort of dim and quiet, you have an ignition problem to trouble shoot. If blu-white colored strong sparkis the case make one final test which is buy some spray "starting fluid" (usually yellow airisol can cause it's either in the can), take the Right side dog bowl off and power up , get fuel pressure, open throttle about 1/2 way, hit starter button and spray the either in the throttle body. If the motor fires and will run when you spray then you have a fuel flow problem and I am with Tim, start testing the ECM.
let me qualify the advice with, this is what I would do, but some one else might go a completely different way?

Sorry for the delay getting back online.

Yes, to all your questions. Did not have starter fluid, but sprayed carb cleaner in the throttle body and motor fires and runs with continued spray, so fuel flow is the problem.

Thanks Ross and Tim. I will take your suggestion and start testing the ECM tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #10

Fuel Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Id guess that the pump is worn out for some reason. If you can hear it buzzing when you turn on the ignition, its getting power. The fuel flowing continuosly doesn't sound right when you remove the hose. Id assume its not building enough pressure to run the bike.
Maybe there was still pressure in the tank when I pulled the hose. With the tank off, I added gas back in the tank and sloshed it around with the cap open,and fuel did not run out. I'll try to test fuel pump for pressure and flow tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #11

Fuel Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Maybe there was still pressure in the tank when I pulled the hose. With the tank off, I added gas back in the tank and sloshed it around with the cap open,and fuel did not run out. I'll try to test fuel pump for pressure and flow tomorrow.
This morning I tested the fuel pump pressure by disconnecting the line from the pump to the injectors and holding my thumb over the pump outlet ( don't have a pressure gage) and powered up the pump. Did not feel any pressure, believe it should have sprayed gas past my thumb. Removed my thumb and powered up the pump again. Fuel did flow without much force. Pump outlet continued dripping gas after pump cycle ended.

Do we all agree its a bad pump?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Fuel Pump?

Did you check the filter in the pump assembly. Remove the pump and check the filter. It looks like a hard tea bag at the bottom of the fuel pump. Also check all the electrical connections on the pump assembly before you go buying a new pump. $400 +

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #13

Fuel Pump?

Quote:
Did you check the filter in the pump assembly. Remove the pump and check the filter. It looks like a hard tea bag at the bottom of the fuel pump. Also check all the electrical connections on the pump assembly before you go buying a new pump. $400 +

Removed the pump assembly from the tank, but have not disassembled the upper and lower parts. Do you mean the filter is located in the steel section that bolts to the under side of the tank?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Fuel Pump?

If I remember correctly the filter is in the part of the pump assembly that you can see under the tank. You have to take the pump apart to get to it. It is at the bottom of the pump assembly.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #15

Fuel Pump?

Quote:
If I remember correctly the filter is in the part of the pump assembly that you can see under the tank. You have to take the pump apart to get to it. It is at the bottom of the pump assembly.
Took the pump apart and found some trash on the filter.
Cleaned filter and sump with carb cleaner. Will pick up some solvent for cleaning the tank in the morning, then put every thing back together and hope for the happy sound of an engine running.