Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #1

2005 Nomad fi 1600 won't start after cleaning fuel pump screen

I bought this Nomad back in February with only 14,000 miles on it and haven't had a single issue til about a month ago. I was low on $ and fuel and needed to ensure I could get to work so I threw a gallon of lawnmower regular gas into the tank. It was fine until the next day the fuel pump started whining. After some research on this site and found how to clean the fuel pump. When I cleaned it, it was covered in bugs and other crud. When I reassembled it all I turned the key and didn't hear the whine. Now however the bike won't turn over at all. I'm kind of freaking out a bit hoping I didn't hurt my poor bike and it is hard to search the help for it since I don't have Internet at my house just my phone. Please someone help I don't want July being the end of my riding season this year.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 AM   #2

Can you add a few more details? When you turn the key, do the lights and everything come on? You're saying the starter won't turn over at all? Or it turns over but doesn't fire up?

The only thing I know about FI that might help is that if it runs dry of gas it needs to be primed somehow to work again. Maybe do a bit of googling about that. Next thing to do is start thinking about everything that you touched, and what changed. Maybe you forgot to connect some wires back up?

Old 07-29-2016, 02:41 AM   #3

There is a "how to" I worked up that Ringading posted in the mechanical section.

As long as you follow the wiring per original and ensure all connections it should fire up. I highly recommend replacing both the pickup screen and the grommet once in there too. The grommet can split and lose elasticity especially once expose to air. Both are are cheap and easy to find. Did you clean the pickup screen or replace it? I recommend replacing it. Using compressed air and such can cause unexpected problems like with the embedded fuel regulator.

Possibilities are : the fuel pump actually failed, the wiring is wrong, fuel hoses not connected properly or crimped, split or collapsed grommet. Others can chime in from their experience.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 07-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Also if its not turning over, make sure you didn't 'pinch' a wire pitting your tank back on. Especially if someones been into the harness under the tank.
Also, check fuses....
I had my FI light come on and start blowing fuses....It was a short under the tank, a weld on the frame had rubbed on the harness.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

Gleam, When I turn the key everything looks and sounds fine. The biggest difference I notice is the initial whine from the fi is not a whine anymore it's a lot smoother sounds do more like what a submersible pump should sound like. It tries to start the pipes pop and revs a little but with some work on the throttle. It's almost like there is no fuel in the tank which it's full.
Hammer, yes I read your how to only after I read a less detailed one before I started. Therefore all I did was clean the screen to the best of my ability and used Vaseline on the grommet. I plan on ordering new ones just want to get it running first. I do want to personally thank you for posting that how to it was very helpful and informative.

I believe there are no wires pinched however when the tank was first reassembled my buddy pinched the fuel line so I'm hoping once I realized this it didn't cause the issue.
-Taz1392

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
Top Contributor

If I remember correctly the pickup screen on a 1600 is not replaceable, it is an integral part of the pump.

My guess is that you have not rewired the pump correctly after taking it apart, or the connector from the pump to the wiring harness is not fully engaged.

You say the bike is not turning over ? Have you checked the voltage of the battery ?
If you wired the pump incorrectly you might have drained the battery trying to get the bike to start ? Once the battery drops below a certain voltage it is my understanding the bike will not start ?

When you pushed the fuel line on to the tank did you hear it "click", ensuring that it is fully engaged ?

Its been 5 years since I owned my 2005 Nomad so bear with me if the explanation is not fully accurate.

Last edited by redjay; 07-29-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Put a pressure gauge on the line from the regulator. It should be 40 + lbs pressure.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 07-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

Update : I checked all the fuses and replaced the spark plugs. Attempted to start and still acted like there was no fuel. Sprayed throttle body cleaner in behind the air filter and had life but only for a few moments. Kept cranking the throttle to see if it would clear any blockage and no success. I will try the pressure gage idea tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

One thing I would check is to see if the fuel pump is priming for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to it's on position . You can open the gas cap and listen for it . If it isn't I would check for wiring .
Be careful !! You can also lift the tank and disconnect the gas line from the throttle body and then turn the key and see if fuel comes out . Make sure you have something there to catch the fuel !

Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

So it does turn over it but it will not start.
I suggest you try Ridefree's advice. Check to see if fuel is coming out when you turn the key on.
Then you will know that much. It sounds like it could be a vacuum leak to me.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Is the speed cluster doing it's thing, power to the fuel pump go through that connector. I've it come loose because I didn't get it seat good enough. Also did you hear a good click when you pushed the fuel connector onto the tank.
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Last edited by skiman; 07-30-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:20 AM   #12

Quote:
If I remember correctly the pickup screen on a 1600 is not replaceable, it is an integral part of the pump.
Nope. The pickup screen is the 1st initial sieve that takes the brunt of the crap. The main filter screen is in the pump body. At least I could see the shadow of it held up to the light. While you can back flush the pickup screen, it's best to replace it and the grommet if you pull the pump. In the best of circumstances of course. I also tested the pump submersed in clean gas.

I do not recommend back flushing the pump under pressure as it can, IMO, mess up the regulator.

It's too bad the pics I took did not make it into Ring's transcription, If it helps I can post them separately.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
Top Contributor

"While you can back flush the pickup screen, it's best to replace it and the grommet if you pull the pump".

I don't see any parts listed for the fuel pump, just a complete new fuel pump.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 AM   #14

Under Mechanical, Ringading posted my steps. The pickup screen and/or pump is listed here, http://http://www.highflowfuel.com/a...asaki-efi.html

Searching the site brings up whatever bike(s).

Sometime tomorrow I will post pics if requested.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

Sorry about the broken link. Refer to the forum section Technical/Repair/Mechanical and the references are there. The pickup screen I ordered from Quantum Fuel Systems. The website is highflowfuels.com and the part is HFP-SUZS1 and fits perfectly. They also have a direct replacement pump or combo of the filter and pump.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Tags
cleaning, fuel pump, nomad, starting