Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #16

Well we will perhaps known more tomorrow night, ill get the seat off and see if there is a fuel module underneath. I think you guys were spot on with thinking the backfiring is due to a exhaust leak. I gave a whirl at putting some deeper stainless acorns on my exhaust, 1 cause the old ones looked like crap and 2 to see if I could snug the gasket down a little tighter until I could replace them. The result was same type of backfiring problem (on hard decal) just much much worse. So im gonna hope that since I frigged with the gaskets and it made a noticeable change (all be it for the worse) that im somewhere around the cause of the problem. Picked up a set of HD gaskets (you were right the kaw dealersip didn't have any in stock and a week to order them in) and I will put them on tomorrow evening and let you know the results.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Don't be afraid to add a extra flat washer in on each stud. Just be damn sure you don't snap a stud OFF!

Better to be too loose than snap a stud. Tighten just so much 13 ft pounds MAX and ride then after COOLING see if you can snug the nuts again but after COOLING.

Things don't feel so tight as they are when you use anti seize, but use anti seize!

Americans tend to over tighten the HELL out of everything, and here tighter is not better. Looser is better because you can snug things up easier than you can replace head studs!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #18

well the results are partially in. The backfiring was indeed caused by a exaust leak. It was not the gaskets as I had hoped. It was a nasty crack in the rear cylinder's exhaust pipe at the first bend, hidden by the heat shield. On the positive side the neighbour just happened to wander over and he is a professional welder, I should have the pipe back by Monday.

As far as the fuel module goes I was too disappointed I wasn't riding my bike out of there to look

Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #19

Common problem on Vance and Hines pipes.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmedic View Post
well the results are partially in. The backfiring was indeed caused by a exaust leak. It was not the gaskets as I had hoped. It was a nasty crack in the rear cylinder's exhaust pipe at the first bend, hidden by the heat shield. On the positive side the neighbour just happened to wander over and he is a professional welder, I should have the pipe back by Monday.

As far as the fuel module goes I was too disappointed I wasn't riding my bike out of there to look
As soon as I read these posts I suspected a cracked pipe.
Ask you neighbour to put a patch over the crack as well as welding the crack itself.
I have found that just welding up the crack itself will cause it to crack again.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Since you can't install that pipe for a few days buy a TFI. Don't hunt and search for other types just buy a TFI.

The run down is the TFI is the fastest to set up because you can hear and feel the difference as you set it up. Cobra won't allow that. Cobra is runner up to TFI.

PC III costs too much can lose it's mind, and there is no point on a open loop system with no 02 sender.

The V&H type has 35 settings, no book and you need to talk to a tech on the phone who guesses which 33 settings you need set up..... LOL

I don't own any stock in Dobeck or anything other place. I save guys time and trouble for FREE.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
nsmedic, it would be good to have a name and where you're located. There might be someone near by that can help you. Just a thought.
Make no mistake though, you're in good hands there with mac. That's for sure.
Like a lot of us, I can say that the TFI is the way to go. Continued good luck.
Remember to donate when the time comes, for all the help this site offers.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #23

Sorry guys, I really should have introduced myself

My name is Adrian, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. 30 year old, by day a paramedic and by night a motorcycle nut.

Already put my bike specs in this post however I do have a update. I got my pipes back today. I was a little disappointed as they guy didn't put a patch on it, however it looks like he did a real good job and I don't know anywhere else I could have got it done for free and on a holiday weekend to boot. I wouldn't even have been able to get it into a welding shop until tomorrow.

Put the new Harley gaskets on, got the acorns torqued to spec and it is working friggin awesome. Just have to see how long the weld lasts but for now im riding again.

As well, I tore the seats and covers off. There is nothing under there that's not stock...no fuel module which really surprised me considering the MPG im getting.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #24

If the guy put a patch over the cracked pipe it should hold indefinitely, mine is still holding five years later.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-05-2023, 05:24 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Glad you enjoy the bike, I never thought I'd like a big cruiser but my 1600 is great for more relaxed riding than my BMW.

Oh, and your bike is not "backfiring", its just popping in the exhaust on clutch out decel. To prove it, next time it pops pull in the clutch. If the popping immediately stops its just the typical lean/closed throttle/decel popping. That sound is on no way detrimental to the engine, cannot cause engine issues, just noise. Now the popping can be caused by: leaking exhaust flanges, bad exhaust gaskets at the head, loose exhaust at the head, and any exhaust mods to open up the exhaust or aftermarket exhaust. If you have aftermarket exhaust you need a fuel management system to fatten up the intake a bit.

True "backfiring" is the engine spitting air/fuel backwards out the intake system past the intake valves. True backfiring is near impossible these days with electronic ignition. If the ignition timing is WAY off it can cause backfiring, and back in the days of points/condensors it could happen. IF, if the intake valve system is way off to the point of an intake valve not fully closing/sealing then the engine under compression can push air/fuel backwards into the intake. If that is happening then your bike is really running for crap and you have expensive issues to fix.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:29 PM   #26

Last Activity: 04-22-2016

Tags
backfiring, maintenance, nomad, plugs, throttle body