Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Rusty Nomad

I am seeing rust showing up on my 2010 Nomad. I have no idea why. I have owned about 25 motorcycles, never had a rust problem before. The bike is kept relatively clean and it is garaged. I live in Middle Tennessee, not near the ocean. I do not ride in the winter when there is salt on the roads.

I bought the bike last September and it only had 3221 miles on it. I did not notice any rust at that time. The rust is showing up in various places on the frame.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Advanced Member

maybe a possible leak or overfill of the brake fluid in that resovoir in your pic.
just thinking- I see some corrosion on your crash bar too. on the weld directly under the resovoir

Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

It is a 2010 and you bought it last September.
I would bet the previous owner didn't take as good care of it as you do.
He probably covered the rust or removed it long enough to sell it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 AM   #4

7 year old bike so going to have chipped paint leading to rust. Clean up and repaint rusty spot I would say
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

there are several rusty spots on the lower part of the frame. Both Sides. Very bad under the saddle bags. I think I am going to take the bags off Saturday and ride it to the dealership where I bought it (it was sold on consignment) and see what they think.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Maybe the bike was flood salvaged ?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

MrBreeze, is your chrome pitted and rusty too? Mine is. When I took the headlight lens ring off the inside of the headlight was rusted pretty bad. I wire brushed it and rustolumed the inside of it hoping to arrest the corrosion. I have been able to clean up most of the front ends chrome pits and rust using Quick Glo which I saw on Jay Leno's Garage but some of the deep pitting is just going to have to be replaced or powder coated Bengal Silver. The rust on the frame will need to be wire brushed and repainted probably flat black and then use a product call BoShield which can be found at most boating supply stores to try and prevent more rust. I would be careful getting too aggressive in cleaning up those hydraulic brake hose clamps.Your Nomad is 7 yrs. old now maybe you can make a deal with your dealer to remove the rusty clamps and replace them with new ones the are stainless steel?

Last edited by MarkinFairfax; 04-27-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

Have you ever noticed guys (and girls) out riding on a nice day in the winter? This is often the result. Salt "dust" still on the road, add a little moisture via humidity or condensation and there you have it. My guess would be the previous owner probably had her out in the winter.
Another cause we see is bikes stored with farm chemicals or fertilizer. Some type of reaction happens. More likely the problem with chrome pitting. We see this very often with ATV's. One thing I'm fairly certain about is that it isn't a manufacturing defect.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #9

I was doing some cleaning and polishing the other day, and discovered some pitting in the chrome on the mirrors. You have to look really close to see it, but it's there.

I don't think this is a manufacturing defect either. I blame myself. I am used to riding bikes like V-Stroms. Lots of plastic and aluminum, no chrome at all. Apparently I need to work a lot harder to keep this bike clean. And that is not a good thing, as Mrs. Breeze complains everytime I do anything with the bike. You would think it was my second wife or something. That and the fact that I just don't have a lot of time for bike polishing. I have a 24x24 garage that is so full of crap that I can barely get the bike in it. Does anyone want to by some antique furniture? Help a brother out? ;o)

This is the left passenger floor board bracket. I took it off the other day and wire brushed it and put some rust dissolver on it. It looks a lot better now.

Tags
1700, nomad, rust