Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Saddlebag Latches 1700 Nomad Voyager

Has anyone else had problems with these latches? I bought my new to me 2010 Nomad last September, and these latches have been difficult every time I open close the bags. They either will not latch when I close the bag, or will not unlatch when I want to open them. Usually with a minor amount of "fiddling", they work. Last Thursday, however, I got back from a ride and the right bag would not open, regardless of how much I "fiddled" with it. Finally gave up, went inside, and called it a day. Friday morning I went out to the garage, and it opened on the first try.

Today I removed the bag so I could see the mechanisms without having to stand on my head. I took the covers off the latches, and I see there is a considerable amount of slack in the cable for the rear latch, but I could not figure out how to adjust it. I lubed both latches with silicone powder, and they seemed to be working properly. I put it all back together and put the bag back on the bike.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What did you do about it?

thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #2

I have difficulty closing one of mine. The cable looks to be loose like yours. I've yet to get around to taking it off and trying to make adjustments though. If I find some time I'll take a look.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Advanced Member

The latches wear out, I've replaced all 4 of mine and some more than once. No adjustment or lube will make a worn latch work better. They aren't expensive and not difficult to replace, same latch does all 4 positions.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

I ordered new latches and cables from Bike Bandit today. I hope that takes care of the problem. It's sunny and 73 here today, but I had to leave the bike at home because the left bag would not close and stay shut. The weather for the next several days is supposed to be rain/snow/cold/wind/clouds.

It would have been pretty easy to talk me into trading this morning....

Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

the new latches finally showed up. I installed them, and the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks GV550!

If anyone is reading this and wondering how difficult it is to install the latches - it's very easy. I removed the bags (three bolts w 10mm headson the 1700) so I could lay them on a table with a seat cushion underneath so they wouldn't get scratched. The plastic covers over the latches are just velcroed on. Two phillips head screws hold each latch on. Do one at a time, and there is nothing to it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I put a crimp on fishing weight bear the end of the cable to take up the slack.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Tags
1700, bags, latches, nomad, voyager