Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5228billik View Post
while out driving or cruising around I tend to drive in 5th anywhere above 55 mph,and I try to pass without downshifting.You said that I could run alot faster in lower gears.Am I to take it that maybe I have been lugging it is the reason it doesn't seem to have a lot of power.I just thought I would hurt the engine running higher rpms. so it won't hurt it to cruise around in 4th running say 55 to 70 mph for an extended period of time.
You are probably lugging it. I never shift into 5th until 65 or 70 MPH.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
Mac, the plug-n-play version doesn't have a light above pot 4.
I just didn't want him getting worried because he didn't see it.

And 5228billik, I don't think 55 is to slow for 5 th gear.
But if you want to get around somebody
you better knock it down a gear and romp on it.
Thanks, I wouldn't be able to know that. I would end up brow beating the guy half to death too, getting him to hunt down something not there..... LOL

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5228billik View Post
You can probably tell that I'm not a whiz on a computer.Let me try to explain it better.At 3:00 is the fastest idle spot. Anything above 3:00 or below 3:00 slows the idle pot down.I Guess you could call that the sweet spot.So the first pot is set on three o'clock.Pot no. 2 is set on 4 o'clock, pot 3 is off and pot 4 is set at 9 o'clock.N ow to explain the rest of it.while out driving or cruising around I tend to drive in 5th anywhere above 55 mph,and I try to pass without downshifting.You said that I could run alot faster in lower gears.Am I to take it that maybe I have been lugging it is the reason it doesn't seem to have a lot of power.I just thought I would hurt the engine running higher rpms. so it won't hurt it to cruise around in 4th running say 55 to 70 mph for an extended period of time.
I am no computer whiz either, but i am a x foreign car tech from before the days of Bosch D jetronic and i was there the day it came along. The Nomad uses that systems with a few changes, mostly in shapes, and with the lack of any means to adjust fuel mix.

The TFI is a device that makes the ECU and injection work like it was a carb.

Pot 4 counts RPM, and is set to 9:00 where it can be left forever, and if there is no light probably should be. However at a point later I am betting you could save a little fuel by turning pot 4 down till the POT 1 led light doesn't work and then turn up pot 4 until the pot 1 light does work and it won't be at 9:00.

Yes Pot 1 set to 3:00 on your bike IS the fastest RPM. You have given the engine more fuel by setting pot 1 to 3:00. it is good that you can hear the RPM get slower when turning pot 1 past 3.

This is telling you that the factory mix is too lean, and that the TFI is working correctly and that the added fuel to the point in (time) is correcting the lean fuel mix. That passing best there is too much fuel.

Forgetting pot 2 for a moment since nothing discussed here so far has a thing to do with that pot. And the reality is you should have Pot 2 set to off anyway for the time being until pot 1 is totally set up which it might not be.

In fact on some days under racing circumstances you would fiddle with pots 1 and 2 on that day. over kill here, but perhaps worth the saying, if you ever ride and bet fer beers!

The question I need answered is Does the engine act normally when you downshift to slow down?

.................................................. .................................................. ....

The Rest of It!

Yeah I lug around at 50 MPH by GPS in 5th gear all the time, leaning my back against my wife. The NH mountain scenery slides by pretty nice doing that. The engine beat is pretty calm and it sort of beats a 2 step beat and seems pretty lazy. This is the 2nd over drive... 5th is never ever going to feel like it has any power.... Most any adjustments for speed should only be little wrist movements to maintain 50 MPH, or maybe get up some slight incline while maintaining speed.

4th if fine for all day long so long as you ride it about the same as 4th, and in theory if you didn't get tired of the engine note you would never ever use 5th anyway. 4th is 1st over drive, and the bike will go as fast as it can go in 4th.

3rd is the last tall gear. Once you are in 3rd and above 40 MPH this is the power gear for most normal riding where you want passing power, and it will take you passing 100 MPH.

I suggest you bounce the engine limiter if you DARE a time or 2 in 3rd, but be on a track or at a local airport, because Mista' you Will be Movin'!

2nd gear is a little more practical to bounce off the rev limiter, but it is violent. never the less it is easier in 2nd than any other gear but maybe 1st and then it would be more violent, but doing it once or twice is worth the doing. I would not make it a habit.
I also would not making it a habit to roar off in 2nd gear every single time....

Not suggesting you ever do, but i see guys do that and then they wonder why 2nd gear shift dogs wear out, or how come the 2nd gear shifter forks get bent. Both need open case surgery.

In 2nd some where around 5,400 RPM I think it is unless it is 5,800 the ignition shuts off until RPM slows down. This is well before red line and we can not get RPM to red line. The shut off is violent, so be ready for the engine to plain quite a second.....

Last as this is getting long and I want my question answered, is do all passing and speedy tricks in 3rd if you are over 40 MPH.

(I might not be around over the next day or so.. taking a day off starting now)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #19

For everyone that responded to my post I appreciate the input. I've not been able to ride since I last posted so I'll have to wait to try out everyone's advice.I don't know when that will be,but I'll try to post again after I ride some. thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Advanced Member

I'm thinking about dumping the power commander for a DFI.
My mileage has dropped off to 38 at 70 MPH. Will the DFI is set properly give me better mileage?
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
I'm thinking about dumping the power commander for a DFI.
My mileage has dropped off to 38 at 70 MPH. Will the DFI is set properly give me better mileage?
IMO that might be a wise thing to do. but you mean TFI.

Dobeck makes these relatively simple devices, and kuryakyn also markets the same thing in a slightly different looking package, but it is the same thing.

I think the PC III is somewhat confused when it is installed on a open loop system. Open loops systems don't have a o2 sender to feed back info. This makes the PC III somewhat overly complicated for Nomad systems, since the Nomad uses a system of injection more than 40 years old.

This is the old Bosche D jet first out on 122 Amazon Volvo's in 1968! I schit you not!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I have a TFI and I can squeak out 42 mpg's on the highway if I don't go much above 70 mph. Once I've crossed over an honest 75 it starts to drop quickly. this is with a TFI

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I have a TFI and I can squeak out 42 mpg's on the highway if I don't go much above 70 mph. Once I've crossed over an honest 75 it starts to drop quickly. this is with a TFI
Thanks, I think I'll order a TFI.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 07-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #24

Better air intake Ok without new fuel processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlreeves View Post
I second the call to them. You will get a tech from the floor who will ask a few questions and recommend your best settings. Go get an unrestricted air intake from somewhere, you wont regret it. I recommend chucksters dual plate. You have the option of leaving the bike looking stock if you so desire but get the benefit of more and cooler air down the throat. Thats when you really get the benefit from a TFI.
Would an unrestricted air intake show me any improvement of any kind. It am not willing to spend $ on TFI yet. I ride a 2004 1500 Nad - all stock except for 2 into one pipe V & H. I get a fair amount of back firing on deceleration and would like to change that. Would the marbling process help the backfiring at all? Btw Reeves...are you still riding a Nomad? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppic2 View Post
Would an unrestricted air intake show me any improvement of any kind. It am not willing to spend $ on TFI yet. I ride a 2004 1500 Nad - all stock except for 2 into one pipe V & H. I get a fair amount of back firing on deceleration and would like to change that. Would the marbling process help the backfiring at all? Btw Reeves...are you still riding a Nomad? Thanks.
An unrestricted intake with your vh pipes would lean it out so much you would really need the tfi.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Btw Reeves...are you still riding a Nomad? Thanks.

I am indeed.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 07-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
An unrestricted intake with your vh pipes would lean it out so much you would really need the tfi.
Hey Bob, thanks for the advice...appreciate your insight. A friend of mine says he heard of adding or swapping out some kind of small plates in the butterfly air intake area to help me with the backfiring. Have you heard of anything like that?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #28

Never heard of that.
I learned a long time ago to stick with what's been used and works. It's cheaper in the long run.
VBA #01084

"

Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Never heard of that.
I learned a long time ago to stick with what's been used and works. It's cheaper in the long run.
I agree with you there. Go with what you know -or what someone else knows even better. I will keep my eye on the costs of the K&N filter ...I believe its the right side set up... and the cost of a TFI and perhaps next summer I'll go for it. Thanks guys for discussions on the "big three" modifications. So far it looks like TFI is the winner for an older Nomad like mine.