Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Sounds like a Cicada at certain speeds

Hello, Im hoping someone can help me diagnose a sound coming from my bike that is driving me crazy.

2006 Kawa Nomad 1600 FI
32,000 miles, installed cam chain tensioner extenders from Chucksters Customs a few months ago @ 30,000 miles.

The sound started about a week ago a little over 32,000 miles
It sounds like a cicada at 20 Mph in first gear, shift to second still makes that sound until about 35 mph and if I cruise between 35 and 50 mph there is no sound. It starts again at 50 mph. In those speed ranges it occurs while accelerating, while cruising and while decelerating. One constant is that when I pull in the clutch the sound stops.

The sound seemed to becoming from the front.
I made sure everything was tightened down but the sound still occurred from time to time. Loud enough to be heard over cobra pipes and a full face helmet.

I took off the windshield and lowers to rule out wind noise but the sound still persisted.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

Radiator cover is loose.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #3

noise

hello,

By disassembling reeds valves, in front, I noticed that this little clamping collar on the pipe was no longer tight (see photo). It wandered and vibrated from time to time according to the engine speed. For a long time, I had this noise but I had not found it.
It's 1 exemple
Serge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collier.jpg (85.1 KB, 18 views)

Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Dog bowl loose?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #5

record it

Is there a way you can record it so we can hear what it sounds like. From your description it does sound like a loose radiator cover.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the input.

I checked the radiator cover and all though one bolt was loose and now tightened the sound still persists.
Tried to record it but the cell phone does not pick it up.
Like I said it sounds kind of like a cicada.
This is what is consistent about the sound.

It always starts right at 20 mph. (First gear)
It continues for a bit in second gear till around 30 + 35 mph then stops.
Some times it happens at 40 Mph but it always happens when I hit 50 mph.

When the sound comes on it happens accelerating cruising, and decelerating.
One thing is always consistent is that when I pull in the clutch it STOPS.

Now could this be the cam chain?
I did install the cam chain extenders but I had a lot of problems with front left side tensioner. I could not get the back bolt tightened the way I would have wanted it.

It seemed to me it could have used one more quarter turn, but I could not get the allen head seated correctly.

Also as i recall I had to use a little bit of lock tight or super glue on to keep the main spring in the well of the cap.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Sounds crazy but check your tool kit. I had similar noises on my classic a few years back, turned out to be my tools clanking together. Just a thought.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

ldhthept doesnt sound crazy at all, and I would check that accept I don't have a stock tool kit on the front. Everything i carry is in the hard bags and I took everything out to make sure thats not where the sound is coming from.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

certain rpm's on my nomad made things rattle . The last one I found was the wiring connectors in the headlight bucket . Just a thought ...

Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
Top Contributor

You tightened a bolt on the radiator cover but did you put anything between the cover and the radiator ? 1/2 inch insulation foam ? If not remove the radiator cover and see if the noise s still there ?

Old 08-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmod View Post
Hello, Im hoping someone can help me diagnose a sound coming from my bike that is driving me crazy.

2006 Kawa Nomad 1600 FI
32,000 miles, installed cam chain tensioner extenders from Chucksters Customs a few months ago @ 30,000 miles.

The sound started about a week ago a little over 32,000 miles
It sounds like a cicada at 20 Mph in first gear, shift to second still makes that sound until about 35 mph and if I cruise between 35 and 50 mph there is no sound. It starts again at 50 mph. In those speed ranges it occurs while accelerating, while cruising and while decelerating. One constant is that when I pull in the clutch the sound stops.

The sound seemed to becoming from the front.
I made sure everything was tightened down but the sound still occurred from time to time. Loud enough to be heard over cobra pipes and a full face helmet.

I took off the windshield and lowers to rule out wind noise but the sound still persisted.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Check your horn. I had a Honda and it would rattle right at 55mph. Drove me crazy. I started replacing some parts.

One day it was in the shop and I told the tech what was going on. He went for a spin and when he rolled in he told me I see what you mean. He went inside and came out with a small rubber hammer. Started tapping on things till he tapped on the horn. Bent the bracket out a little and the noise stopped.

I felt like a big nit wit. All that work I had done and what it took to correct the problem.

May not be the horn bracket, but the way the tech found it was what impressed me.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Check the headlight bucket. Mine was vibrating against the chrome plate behind it 15 years ago. I put a stick on rubber bump stop behind the headlight.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 08-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #13

Different bike,but my 99 carbed did that.It was the speedo housing rattling.It drove me nuts.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #14

Did you ever discover the source of your engine noise because, by the sound of it, my bike makes this same noise ever since I bought it a couple of years ago?

Old 08-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #15

Being a dealer mechanic, we had to diagnose all kinds of sounds, alot of times the riders couldn't even really describe them....some drove us crazy and were very elusive.

All the guys have given you great things to check,especially the left hand side dogbowl and its mountings....

I believe what your explaining is a loose metal guard, vibrating on something metal, at certain engine frequencies....1st, get some silicone spray, spray just a touch on the radiator isolaters....Theres alot of rubber mounted parts on these bikes....
Also, try your tailpipes, and the heat guards. If you loose your rubber insulators between your frames backbone and your tank, can also make that noise. Wedge in a couple of shop rags in really tight, see if sound quites or changes....Motormounts can make it also....take your time, and wedge things up till you find the culprit.
Wash your bike, and while wet, ride her.... see if the sound is the same....sometimes, this will help you find it....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 08-04-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Tags
bile sound, cicada, noise, rattling sound