Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

2006 1500 Classic & Mutazu HL Hard Bags

Hello all. I bought these bags back in 2014 but have not yet installed them. I finally decided to cut the rear turn signal cover and put shorter stalk turn signals on and throw the hard bags on. I got the HL Hard bags and the Rigid Hard Saddle Support Brackets, but they did not come with bolts, and this may sound really dumb, but I am not sure what bolt/length I need to install these bags. Anyone know? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Shouldn't be to hard to figure out, hold the bag where you want it and measure the distance or have somebody else hold the bag while you measure.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Top Contributor

As far as the thread size/count, take one of the brackets to the hardware store and start trying different bolts. I have no idea what size they are nor do I even know if they're metric or SAE. I know it's not the answer you're looking for but it's the only way I know to do it.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrost View Post
Hello all. I bought these bags back in 2014 but have not yet installed them. I finally decided to cut the rear turn signal cover and put shorter stalk turn signals on and throw the hard bags on. I got the HL Hard bags and the Rigid Hard Saddle Support Brackets, but they did not come with bolts, and this may sound really dumb, but I am not sure what bolt/length I need to install these bags. Anyone know? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Questions:

1) Check my avatar. Your bags the same as mine on my 05 1500 Classic?

2) Rigid mount...are these the chrome brackets as opposed to their basic/universal mount or their quick disconnect mounts? Did the brackets include mounting bolts? I presume "no bolts", otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

Anyway, our bags are the same, I think. To mount the bag to the bracket, determine/measure the thickness of the bag and the thickness of the bracket and add an additional 1/4" (guessing!) for the nut. As for mounting the bracket to the fender rails, measure the existing fender rail bolt and add the thickness of the bracket.

I forget how those rigid brackets are configured and mount on the bike. About a month ago I had their web site opened in a browser tab right smack dab on the brackets page because I am considering the quick disconnects or the rigids. Apparently their site has been updated. I just went to it to get a visual of the rigid brackets and cannot find them anywhere. The HL Hard bags are no longer shown in pre-painted glossy black - only FLAT black. So anyways, without a pic or a better understanding of which mounts you have, my answers might be non-answers

Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #5

Thank you! Got it done tonight! Then took them off, and added some 16 gauge sheet metal inside and out just to firm them up a bit. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BigFrost; 08-09-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

They would indeed benefit from some firming up. Those darn bags are pretty flimsy. Mutazu, on their old site, offered a stabilizer bar which is one of them thar bars that bolts to the underneath of each bag while spanning around the back tire just under the fender. Never knew they were called "stabilizer bar" but felt I needed one. I can't find such a piece on their new site. Glad you got yours lined out. Be sure to check periodically for cracks spiderwebbing out from the mounting holes. Although, with double 18ga reinforcements, you might not be so prone.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #7

I remember those bars and wish I would have grabbed one when I bought the bags, back in 2014. Their new site is even harder to navigate than their old one. I meant to type 16 gauge steel above, so it's pretty damn stiff, lol.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

My bag mounts are their 1/8" thk x 1" wide flat steel. They are flimsy to begin with. With just the weight of the bags, there is some flopping around that goes on, unfortunately. I had in mind to use some similar ga. aluminum along with a stabilizer bar. The rigid mounts were attractive as were the quick disconnect type. It appears Mutazu has abandoned such accessories :(

Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #9

I went and got two sheets of 8'' x 18'' 16 gauge steel from my local hardware store yesterday and cut them in half, and cut a 45 degree angle on two pieces for the outside of the bags, to follow the contour of the bag design so that all of my bolts were supported with the steel inside and out. Trimmed the inside piece to fit height wise. Then held each piece up against the bags and used a sharpie to transfer the hole locations, drilled out the holes and mounted the bags again. All in all, cost $30, took an hour and a half, but in the end it was totally worth it. I also used some large diameter washers on the inside and out as well, to really help distribute the pressure in hopes of helping these bags last longer.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #10

I may pull the bags off this weekend to paint the steel black, but to be honest, you can't even see it.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #11

Mutazu has an eBay store. Scroll down about half way on this link to their universal parts page. The stabilizer bars come in a 25cm and a 31cm size. http://stores.ebay.com/MUTAZU-MOTORC..._pgn=3&_ipg=48

Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #12

Thank you!

Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #13

Post up your experience if you buy one and bolt'er on.