Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

'09 Voyager running rough at speed

2009 Voyager, 53,000kms. starts fine, idles fine, runs around 1200± rpm when cold and then drops to around 900± rpm after a couple of minutes.
Seems to pull ok but when running steady speed around 100KPH at 3000 rpm in 5th there seems to be a lot of engine vibration, more so than a twin should have.
If I pull the clutch at 100kph so the engine drops to idle, the vibration stops so it's not drive train, least ways not from the rear wheel to the output shaft, at least in my thoughts.
I'm thinking an air leak would show itself at idle as well, I'm going to use some WD40 and spray around any intake joint and see if anything changes.
Going to change the plugs even tho it sounds too simple a solution.

Anyone got any other thoughts?......Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Top Contributor

How long have you had the bike ? Is this vibration something that just started ?

Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

This is my third season with it. It never was what I would call 'smooth' but not enough to be disconcerting. Being the first 1700 I've owned (previous was a Nomad 1600 before that a 'wing) I figured it was normal as I know the feeling of a twin. It seems to have gotten more pronounced in the past month.
I had to lay it up early last year because of my hip going bad so it was laid up for a good 6 months if not more. I'm wondering if it might be something to do with that. I did give it a good dosing of stabilizer before I laid it up and have run a good dozen tanks of fuel thru it since.
It feels 'rotational' if that makes sense, rhythmic, a consistent vibration that seems to intensify with engine rpm that doesn't change with road speed, just engine speed.
There's no hesitation when giving it fuel at any speed.
--Very, very-- occasionally I'll get a slight backfire thru the throttle bodies when I blip the throttle to downshift 2-1.
I'm wondering if I'm just getting more observant or sensitive for lack of a better word, a tender a$$ LOL......Mike

Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Have you checked the bolts that attach the engine to the chassis ?
Are they torqued to the correct setting ?

Have you inspected the drive belt for adjustment ? Is the belt damaged ?
Maybe inspect the dampers in the rear wheel ?

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...ar-wheel-chain

I doubt the vibration is because of laying the bike up for a while.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

Spend $360 to get your ECU IVANIZED and all your vibrations will go away. I think what you are describing is just the nature of the stock 1700. If you downshift it should go away.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Have you checked the bolts that attach the engine to the chassis ?
Are they torqued to the correct setting ?
Good call, will do

Quote:
Have you inspected the drive belt for adjustment ? Is the belt damaged ?
I will, can't see it tho as the vibration disappears the minute the clutch is disengaged. I'd think if the belt was damaged or out of adjustment it would vibrate all the time as it's always turning. Not disagreeing, just thinking out loud here.
Quote:
Maybe inspect the dampers in the rear wheel ?
Will do

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...ar-wheel-chain

Quote:
I doubt the vibration is because of laying the bike up for a while.
Agree, again just putting my thoughts to words.......M

Old 08-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Spend $360 to get your ECU IVANIZED and all your vibrations will go away.
Unfortunately so will CAN$450 plus shipping.I did think of it tho but that's a fair amount of $$.
I would like to find out if this is a problem and repair it first before putting that kind of dollars into it. ....Mike

Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #8

About about running 100 kph in 4th gear or in 6th ?

Same vibration at same speed in a different gear ?
If yes and no vibration with clutch pulled, could be the transmission or outputshaft to the front pulley. Heard about some bearing failure due to too much belt tension.

Sounds weird, but have you thought about the tires ? You said the bike has been "parked" for a while. Correct air pressure or a flat spot due to the long period being parked.

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 08-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Don't discount the drive train just because the vibration goes away with the clutch pulled. Very different dynamics when you are coasting instead of pushing. From your description I agree though, it is probably not in the drive train. RPM and not speed related and no apparent loss of power with the vibration. Does it go away, stay the same or get worse above 3000 rpm?

Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Sounds weird, but have you thought about the tires ? You said the bike has been "parked" for a while. Correct air pressure or a flat spot due to the long period being parked.
Vibration goes away with clutch pulled so that, to me, says not the tires.

Quote:
If yes and no vibration with clutch pulled, could be the transmission or outputshaft to the front pulley
I had thought that initially but if it were the output shaft,would it not still be turning with the clutch it, driven by the rear tire thru the belt? I mean the vibration stops immediately when the clutch is pulled.
Got me second guessing my self now, wondering if it is indeed worse. I still think it is. I'm going to check the belt and engine mounts after I grab a bite of something for dinner.
I might even loosen the belt off some, I know it was tighter than I thought it should be.........Mike

Old 08-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Vibration goes away with clutch pulled so that, to me, says not the tires.

I had thought that initially but if it were the output shaft,would it not still be turning with the clutch it, driven by the rear tire thru the belt? I mean the vibration stops immediately when the clutch is pulled.
Got me second guessing my self now, wondering if it is indeed worse. I still think it is. I'm going to check the belt and engine mounts after I grab a bite of something for dinner.
I might even loosen the belt off some, I know it was tighter than I thought it should be.........Mike

You report the vibration when running steady speed around 100KPH at 3000 rpm in 5th.If you pull the clutch at 100kph so the engine drops to idle, the vibration stops.

Does the engine vibrate when the engine is at 3000 rpm in neutral and you are not moving, or in gear with the clutch lever pulled and not moving?

The more you can do with different "checks" or tests makes it easier to narrow down the cause.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Does it go away, stay the same or get worse above 3000 rpm?
Increases, not a lot but noticeable
Quote:
Does the engine vibrate when the engine is at 3000 rpm in neutral and you are not moving, or in gear with the clutch lever pulled and not moving
Duhhh, that makes me a dumb ass, never even thought to try that scenario, I could even try while moving with the clutch in. I'll have to wait till Thursday now, taking the truck to work tomorrow and I'm not going outside any more tonight, I'm getting discouraged.
Had it up on the lift, the belt was tight enough you could play a tune on it, I loosened it up a bit and took it for a ride. The vibration was still there but not quite as intense so it's belt/drivetrain related. I also noticed it's slightly easier to push backwards now.
Engine mounts were tight, never took the rear wheel off to physically look at the cush rubbers but there was no slop between the wheel/drivesprocket.
I took a prybar and pushed/pulled poked at the drive sprocket, no play that I could see.
While I had it on the stand I ran it in gear and used a stethoscope to probe around to no avail, no bearing noises.
I'm just going to have to pass it off as me noticing more now for some reason, or I'm becoming paranoid.
Much appreciate all the replies and suggestions......Mike

Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #13

How soon after your operation did it start? Could it be your new parts? Just a thought since my dad had a new Knee installed he has noticed differences in things in life.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-02-2017, 01:48 AM   #14

Quote:
How soon after your operation did it start? Could it be your new parts?
When I first read that I thought WTF, this guys out to lunch but you know what, you very well might have a point the more I think about it.
Looking back since I first had it out this year since my operation, I do believe you're right, nahhh......maybe, now that is screwing with my mind.
Now how the hell am I going to prove/disprove that? Doesn't that make me look like an ass................M

Old 08-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Increases, not a lot but noticeable

Duhhh, that makes me a dumb ass, never even thought to try that scenario, I could even try while moving with the clutch in. I'll have to wait till Thursday now, taking the truck to work tomorrow and I'm not going outside any more tonight, I'm getting discouraged.
Had it up on the lift, the belt was tight enough you could play a tune on it, I loosened it up a bit and took it for a ride. The vibration was still there but not quite as intense so it's belt/drivetrain related. I also noticed it's slightly easier to push backwards now.
Engine mounts were tight, never took the rear wheel off to physically look at the cush rubbers but there was no slop between the wheel/drivesprocket.
I took a prybar and pushed/pulled poked at the drive sprocket, no play that I could see.
While I had it on the stand I ran it in gear and used a stethoscope to probe around to no avail, no bearing noises.
I'm just going to have to pass it off as me noticing more now for some reason, or I'm becoming paranoid.
Much appreciate all the replies and suggestions......Mike

Don't feel bad, that's what this form is all about. Different perspectives.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience here you can tap into.

That drive sprocket has a bearing, like the wheel bearing. You might not see anything until the belt tension is released.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.