Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Ivans upgrade & more

IVANS reflash is well worth the money -- i had the upgrade done over 1000 mi ago -- my main concern was the throttle was very sensative and not easy to manage at low speeds turning and in traffic -- the upgrade seems to have cured that -- i took my throttle mod off right after the first flash was done but was still to sensative but now it is not thanks to IVAN

on the last trip out of state i got 45 mpg on first 2 tanks -- that is better than before the upgrade and on back roads at 60 - 70 mph with a few stops and some slow traffic -- i cant complain about that
got in a place where only gas was 87 and needed some so i got a gallon -- it was hot and i did not have any pinging at moderate speed/load but did not push it -- next fill up got 89 and had no problem but no w o t to test it then back to 93

i have commented on this before but on the subject of engine heat the secret to cooler running on NOMADS is to put some engine guard chaps on -- i use the AIR LITE made in canada -- they force more air through the radiator and the engine will run cooler -- u will notice the fan does not run near as often and u still get plenty of air on u r legs only it will be cooler --

not long ago i changed oil but wasnt sure about the shell products so went to castrol diesel -- not good -- rough shifting -- so before the trip i changed to mobil 1 bike oil -- first time for the nomad -- it shifts better than ever before so that was a nice surprise

it looks to me that 1700 owners have different issues but for anyone that hasnt had IVANS reflash dont wait any longer and if u qualify get the upgrade -- it only costs the shipping charge -- the flash will make it run like it should have to start with--maybe this info will help someone

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #2

I've been thinking of getting the reflash, my question is about how long is the turnaround?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyRoc115 View Post
I've been thinking of getting the reflash, my question is about how long is the turnaround?

the 2 times mine was there & ive heard others say same its in and out same day -- the shipping time will vary with distance and method -- for me normal 2 day takes 5 days total maybe 4.5 depending what time he gets it if that helps u

Old 07-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

Thanks no more procrastinating, I'm sending mine on Friday

Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #5

I sent my Ecu to Ivan 3 days ago and I'll probably end up waiting a good 2 weeks before I get it back . From everything I have read about it , it'll be worth the wait .

Appreciate the post ,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #6

From Australia took 17 days- worth the wait✅✅

2012 Nomad 1700

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
Vance & Hines slipons

2005 Classic 800(sold)

Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

That's my tinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post

i have commented on this before but on the subject of engine heat the secret to cooler running on NOMADS is to put some engine guard chaps on -- i use the AIR LITE made in canada -- they force more air through the radiator and the engine will run cooler -- u will notice the fan does not run near as often and u still get plenty of air on u r legs only it will be cooler --

not long ago i changed oil but wasnt sure about the shell products so went to castrol diesel -- not good -- rough shifting -- so before the trip i changed to mobil 1 bike oil -- first time for the nomad -- it shifts better than ever before so that was a nice surprise
I tried to convince a new Voyager owner (Complaining of the heat) that if he shut his Lowers it would force the air toward the radiator and not have hot air blown across an even hotter engine onto him. He looked at me like I had 3 eyes. But I will say he tried it, not sure what his conclusion was.

Also, If I remember right - I got better MPG on my 2007 Nomad with the Air-Lite chaps. Another strange effect of air flow.

On the Castrol Diesel oil - is that JASO-MA rated? - I'm unfamiliar with that. For what it's worth, I've had good luck with the Rotella T6 and I'm about to put my first round of the New Bottle T6 in it maybe today.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #8

when i got the castrol i did not check the rating but am sure it was ok -- had never seen it before and they were out of the shell i have been using -- when things settle down at shell i will most likely go back to it but i do like the way the mobil is working in the trans

i think the front tire and fender block the radiator to much or these things would run cooler -- my 83 yam venture had same issue -- i made some fiber glass pieces that helped push air through the rad that helped some -- i rode it for 27 trouble free years -- still have new carb diaphrams/slides in box if anyone wants them -- fits 83-85 1200 and other models

Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #9

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
(snip)
Also, If I remember right - I got better MPG on my 2007 Nomad with the Air-Lite chaps. Another strange effect of air flow.
(snip)
Greetings Mike07Nad

Speaking of improved MPGs after a mod. Didn't you put a swimming noodle inside the fairing of your Voyager and report that the MPG's went up?

Would you post a pic or send me a pic of where you put that? How you fastened it, etc.

TIA,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #10

Irate Regretting the flash

This is the way it usually works out for me but, I'm pretty close to the point where I'm regretting having the ECU flashed.. Of course it's only my bike and no-one else is having any problems at all. I'm sure there will be many here that will tell me that it's just my bike and there is something wrong with it causing the symptoms. There will be a host of reasons ranging from throttle body problems, type of gas, spark plugs, riding technique, time of day, tire pressure, atmospheric conditions, if I slept well the night before, geographical location and on and on. Here are the issues. When I start it up for the first time that day and after letting it warm up, when I shift into 2d and at about 2K - 2.5k RPM and crack the throttle ( And I don't mean wrapping in wide open) it stumbles, hitches and surges dramatically . When I get into the higher gears it starts preforming more normally. And, after riding for a while, and it seems, after its been shut down then started back up, everything is pretty normal. I always use Top Tier 93 octane gas, have new spark plugs and have run Sea Foam thru the gas tank. I've also used the spray Sea Foam thru the throttle bodies along with Throttle Body cleaner so they should be relatively clean. The rest of the day it runs pretty normal. Not quite there yet but thinking about getting a new ECU and being done with it. I'd rather have a dog that trots along without complaining than a stumbling Greyhound. The bike has 54k miles and I ride conservatively, and still only get 34-36 mpg. I treat her like I own her not stole her.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #11

Ivan will reflash it back to stock for no charge. I would do that before buying a new ECU.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #12

crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
This is the way it usually works out for me but, I'm pretty close to the point where I'm regretting having the ECU flashed.. Of course it's only my bike and no-one else is having any problems at all. I'm sure there will be many here that will tell me that it's just my bike and there is something wrong with it causing the symptoms. There will be a host of reasons ranging from throttle body problems, type of gas, spark plugs, riding technique, time of day, tire pressure, atmospheric conditions, if I slept well the night before, geographical location and on and on. Here are the issues. When I start it up for the first time that day and after letting it warm up, when I shift into 2d and at about 2K - 2.5k RPM and crack the throttle ( And I don't mean wrapping in wide open) it stumbles, hitches and surges dramatically . When I get into the higher gears it starts preforming more normally. And, after riding for a while, and it seems, after its been shut down then started back up, everything is pretty normal. I always use Top Tier 93 octane gas, have new spark plugs and have run Sea Foam thru the gas tank. I've also used the spray Sea Foam thru the throttle bodies along with Throttle Body cleaner so they should be relatively clean. The rest of the day it runs pretty normal. Not quite there yet but thinking about getting a new ECU and being done with it. I'd rather have a dog that trots along without complaining than a stumbling Greyhound. The bike has 54k miles and I ride conservatively, and still only get 34-36 mpg. I treat her like I own her not stole her.
pilot - dont give up on the flash - have u talked to ivan about the issue - i would recommend that as the next step - its free and he might have some good advice
before the first flash my (010 nomad) suddenly started running bad at 29k miles - i flushed the tank did the sea foam checked the coil resistance wasted money on new plugs checked the wires etc - never found a solution so a while later it cleared up on its own then ivan came along so i sent it in - i had my own throttle mod installed before that didnt help - after the flash i noticed a new [i think] issue -- when easing away from a stop hot or cold @ 1200 rpm i feel a miss 1-3 times real quick then its over - it is not consistent and will not do it unless moving - i talked to ivan and he said what he does would not cause a problem like that that and i believe him -- i think its a glitch in the ecm that cuts power to a coil or injector for a milli second then is ok -- when i take off a little more aggressive it doesnt seem to happen - to me its just an annoiance not a problem and not worth the cost of a different ecm to prove a point -- someone that drives more aggressive than me might never notice it -- i get the impression that different years and models of the 1700 have different quirks so we dont all experience the same issues a different ecm just might solve ur problem n maybe ivan could help with a flash on it - just guessing - hope u get it corrected

Old 07-16-2017, 03:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
This is the way it usually works out for me but, I'm pretty close to the point where I'm regretting having the ECU flashed..
Do you have some sort of speedo-healer installed? Those symptoms you describe are similar to reports I remember reading from some who have installed them.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 07-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #14

Waving Talk to da man

Excellent thought Peg.
PILOT, I would second Uncle Willie's vote to contact Ivan. The man knows his stuff and is a class act. Talk him through the observations. As JD indicated, Ivan will flash it back if that is what you want.
And, you are right, Time and Temp in Tokyo shouldn't have a bearing on your sleep!

My thought on reading your description was a possible leak between the throttle-body and intake. Some, including one of my Vaq's, had this issue and the Thunder TB gasket addressed the eratic air flow issues.

Hope you find a quick and effective answer,

Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #15

I had a speedo-healer at one time. Caused a skip. Removed it and all was normal. I seriously doubt there is any throttle body leak because the surging and stumbling isn't consistent. Any problems with the plugs or wires would be consistent too. As I said before after it has run for a while and been shut down and re-started, it runs great. Not gas either because it happens no matter what brand of gas I use. I've used Heet too just in case there might have been some water in the tank. In a few days I'll be riding right past Ivan's place, unfortunately it will be on a Sunday. I'll just live with it I guess. May not be riding much longer anyway. Makes the bike unsalable though.