Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #1

front end upgrades: report

All Balls stem bearings, Race Tech springs & Gold Valve emulators installed. Poured thru the owner's manual since there is no recommendation of air settings for the rear shocks on the bike itself. Figured since the max is 43 psi (!), maybe i'd squirt a bit more than the 5-10 psi I had been running for 2 -up. 25 psi in the rears to balance out the beefier front springs and the bike handles like it is on rails. Big sweeper highway transitions that felt sketchy at 55 before, now are a blast at 65-70. Wifey thought it rode smoother with more air in the ass, too. Only bitch is I had hoped the bearings would assuage the no-hands coast-down wobble at 50-40 mph...... did not. Overall, worth it. Wildcat Mountain, here we come....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Advanced Member

The Racetech suspension is a huge improvement over stock but does take some effort to get it dialled in, had mine apart 3 times before I got it working properly.
It is important to get the sag correct, 25-30%. I ended up with 55 mm of preload with 180 mm long spacers, but your setup may be different depending on your weight. Too much sag will reduce rake which could be the cause of your wobble. Also check the preload on your Allballs bearings, riding 100 miles may have seated the cups deeper and the preload is gone. Torque the nut to 29 Nm.
And adding a fork brace will further contribute to better stability and smooth suspension travel.
With all this dialled in on my bike I can ride no-hands indefinitely with no wobble, even with worn tires.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
All Balls stem bearings, Race Tech springs & Gold Valve emulators installed. Poured thru the owner's manual since there is no recommendation of air settings for the rear shocks on the bike itself. Figured since the max is 43 psi (!), maybe i'd squirt a bit more than the 5-10 psi I had been running for 2 -up. 25 psi in the rears to balance out the beefier front springs and the bike handles like it is on rails. Big sweeper highway transitions that felt sketchy at 55 before, now are a blast at 65-70. Wifey thought it rode smoother with more air in the ass, too. Only bitch is I had hoped the bearings would assuage the no-hands coast-down wobble at 50-40 mph...... did not. Overall, worth it. Wildcat Mountain, here we come....

Update: After putting over 2k miles on the Wisconsin trip, got the bike jacked up to install the 21" RC wheel. Putting everything back together, I noticed the head bearings had some slop (the new All Balls). Called the guy up that worked on it, he dropped by tonite to resnug the bearings as I still had the whole thing up in the air. After getting evrything back together & on the ground, took it out for a test ride........first around the block to make sure nothing fell off at 30 mph..... then down to the gas station to make sure nothing fell off at 50 mph ....... then on to the highway for a few miles to make sure nothing falls off at 70 mph....... and whaddaya know...... doing the hands-off "coast-down" at 50.... to 40.... to 30....... to 20 .... till I had to grab the clutch to downshift from 5th (it was gurgling by then).... and no wobble. At all. Did it 3 times. Even hitting seams and small bumps. Best part is the new 21" tire is a ................. wait for it................

Michelin Commander II !!!! Now I'm ready for oil slicks, tar snakes, rain, deer....... and no hands riding.

To recap the changes: All Balls steering head bearings, Racetech fork springs & Gold Valve emulators, Klockwerks Slicer fender (it's thick), RC Holeshot 21x3.5" wheel & the Michelin C II 120/70/21.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #4

When your Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
Now I'm ready for oil slicks, tar snakes, rain, deer....... and no hands riding.
These things really are fun when they are set up right. I have really enjoyed mine this year with the All Balls Bearing and Garry's Fork Brace. As far as front shocks - I only added an Oil that was a little heavier than OEM. I did do an off handed 40 mph test and rock solid.

There was a point when I feared removing my hands from the bars to put a glove on - Not Any More - Thanks All Balls and Garry.

Now may all your roads be freshly paved and watch those Rain Deer. I didn't see any of those on Wildcat Mountain when I rode it.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

I just put in All Ball steering bearings, too. Just before leaving for the Lake George rally, I'll check the torque with a few hundred miles on 'em and again after I get back with several thousand miles.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #6

Hey new here. Can someone fill me in on Gerry's fork brace. My vaquero front end vibrates bad. Thanks Ty

Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybama12 View Post
Hey new here. Can someone fill me in on Gerry's fork brace. My vaquero front end vibrates bad. Thanks Ty
Use up a few posts to introduce yourself in the appropriate section of the forum, and to thank everyone who responds, and before long you'll have the ability to send a PM (private message). Then just scroll up a few posts to one from gv550 (Garry), the manufacturer of the fork brace. Send him a PM, and he'll tell you all about it.

You should also check your tire pressure and condition, and the state of your steering-head bearings. All of those things can also adversely affect the front end handling.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 07-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
How many miles on your skoot, and how many miles on the front tire? What tire is it and how much air pressure you running in it?

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #9

Thanks for reply guys I've been fighting this issue for over 2 years. Ran ever tire you can think of dealer been all through the bike and can't really find a thing. 1st time it happened bike had about 14000 miles. Pulled out on the road nailed it with all she had a 80mph I let off the throttle and it went into a violent high speed wobble. Than I noticed anytime I took my hands off the bars and the bike was de el it would start shaking. Dealer replaced steering head bear "all ball". Wobble has stop but still alot of vibration in the front when deceleration. Late last summer I put a Michelle (Harley tire) on back. I believe it lowered the back maybe a 1/4". Seem like its was better but this tire is sliding when laying hard in a curve. 2 weeks ago she's started pushing the front end in curves almost came out from under me twice. Front tire had some cupping but I've ran worse. Add a new tire put on it's alot better bit I still feel it slipping in the front. This thing has become just down right dangerous and I'm lost at what to do. Also a year ago replaced axles and wheel bearings. FYI. I RUN 38 to 40 psi in the tires.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for reply guys I've been fighting this issue for over 2 years. Ran ever tire you can think of dealer been all through the bike and can't really find a thing. 1st time it happened bike had about 14000 miles. Pulled out on the road nailed it with all she had a 80mph I let off the throttle and it went into a violent high speed wobble. Than I noticed anytime I took my hands off the bars and the bike was de el it would start shaking. Dealer replaced steering head bear "all ball". Wobble has stop but still alot of vibration in the front when deceleration. Late last summer I put a Michelle (Harley tire) on back. I believe it lowered the back maybe a 1/4". Seem like its was better but this tire is sliding when laying hard in a curve. 2 weeks ago she's started pushing the front end in curves almost came out from under me twice. Front tire had some cupping but I've ran worse. Add a new tire put on it's alot better bit I still feel it slipping in the front. This thing has become just down right dangerous and I'm lost at what to do. Also a year ago replaced axles and wheel bearings. FYI. I RUN 38 to 40 psi in the tires.
It sounds like you have covered you bases.

Have you or the dealer checked the wheel alignment?

If this thing is giving you feedback like you report, something is amiss.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm kinda scratching my head here.

Have you done the fork oil service?

Pull the forks apart, disassemble them and clean the lower sections real good.

Take a flashlight and shine down into the tubes and look for wear in the aluminum bores. If there is excessive wear the fork lowers can be moving. There is going to be some wear. Just the nature of the beast.

The first time I pulled mine apart there was a lot of sludge in the bottom, a lot, and I could see some wear in the tubes.

I replaced the bushings and seals just for good measure. My original problem was a seal leaking on the left tube.

I would also double check the steering stem bearing torque.

The Timken bearings have to be "seated" before you say you are done. Torque the bearing nut, rock the triple tree back and forth. Retorque the nut and rock it again. Do this repeatedly till the nut stops moving.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #12

Thanks guys
The mechanics at the dealer let me go into the shop with him we spend a couple of hours checking alignment tire balance even played with different air pressure in the rear shocks.

Snake we didn't go as far a breaking down the forks sounds like a good idea will try that next.

Just a thought - how fast is ya'll Vaquero? My bike has always seemed faster than all reviews I can find on it. Don't know anyone that has a vaquero so nothing to compare it to.

Problem didn't start till I done a stage 1 upgrade. Does it have to much torque? I have no idea.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks guys
The mechanics at the dealer let me go into the shop with him we spend a couple of hours checking alignment tire balance even played with different air pressure in the rear shocks.

Snake we didn't go as far a breaking down the forks sounds like a good idea will try that next.

Just a thought - how fast is ya'll Vaquero? My bike has always seemed faster than all reviews I can find on it. Don't know anyone that has a vaquero so nothing to compare it to.
117 mph per my Zumo 450, in 5th gear........ speedo reads 125 or so, which is BS..... will test out again after getting IVANized

Old 07-25-2017, 04:02 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks guys

Problem didn't start till I done a stage 1 upgrade. Does it have to much torque? I have no idea.
Just how fast are you talking abou?.

90 is the fastest I have flown. A lot of fellow riders here push it a lot faster. I want to make sure my guarding angel can keep up with me.

I believe these 1700's put out their fair share of torque, especially after they have been opened up so they can breathe. Ivan's mod will make it more manageable.

I don't believe it could be said the 1700's put out too much torque.

Too much is never enough if it is managed correctly.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

I hear you Snake

I'm probably grasping at straws lol. But never had another bagger out run her even the Indian 111 with racing cams couldn't keep up. Dang I love bike