Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #31

Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Here in Iowa I have precisely two options for fuel, 87 octane or 91. I've never seen 90 anywhere. I wish 89 was still available because I suspect with the new flash it would run fine with it and maybe improve mileage a bit. My biggest beef with this bike is the gas mileage. Even after the flash I never get better than 35 mpg. (snip)
Would be my only complaint as well. A friends 103 Ultra does better on MPG and pulls away. I'd feel better if the Vaq was winning in one of those categories...

Ride safe,
Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Would be my only complaint as well. A friends 103 Ultra does better on MPG and pulls away. I'd feel better if the Vaq was winning in one of those categories...

Ride safe,
Smokier
Have you done the reflash?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Have you done the reflash?
Greetings Terry,

The bike is IVANized, have not gotten the updated IVANizing.

Ride Safe,
Smokier

Old 06-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #34
Advanced Member

Quote:
Has anyone tried a lower octane with the latest flash update?
I've had my update flash for a week, I ran Shell 91 for the first two tanks and the bike runs great but then it ran fine before too. Idle is a bit smoother.
Today I filled with Shell 89, bike runs fine and I tried lugging it down in OD and going to full throttle and I didn't notice any pinging. For the extra 50 cents a tank I think I will stay with 91 but it's good to know it will run on lower octane.
My brother rides a 2011 HD Ultra with stock 103 engine, before Ivan entered our lives the 103 always used less fuel than mine and our bikes performed about the same, I had no problem keeping up whenever he cranked it on. After the flash we now need fuel at about the same time (he has 6 gal tank and mine is 5.3) and I always take on 1/2 gallon less than he puts in. We haven't done any hard roll-on tests but I do notice he takes longer to catch up if I crank it on. I believe my voyager now out-performs the 103 with less fuel but that's just an observation, not a scientific comparison.
Edit.... Over 30C here today and I did notice some ping while accelerating, with 89 octane in the tank.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Last edited by gv550; 06-10-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #35

Greetings,

Great observations GV, thanks. Will be riding with the Ultra 103 late summer on our Route 66 trip. So will get another opportunity to compare MPG's and roll on. I may get the ECU's in for the reflash before the trip. Hate to be down the week, but then maybe I can talk momma into taking the Miata to work. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #36

got the update flash but havent ridden much --- first impression is good --- my main concern was the low speed turning --- the throttle is not as sensative and easier to handle

the exhaust does not smell as rich and the mileage indicator says its improved some but that has not been confirmed yet --- expect to hit the road in a couple of weeks and will report back then --- my opinion get it done

Old 06-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #37

Well i got the lastest update and riding today with 2 (2016) Street Glides all i can say is the smoked me big time...also they got way better mpg than me...Not complaining here just stating a Fact.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Greetings Terry,

The bike is IVANized, have not gotten the updated IVANizing.

Ride Safe,
Smokier
It surprises me that a Harley pulls away from you with the flash done.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Greetings,

Great observations GV, thanks. Will be riding with the Ultra 103 late summer on our Route 66 trip. So will get another opportunity to compare MPG's and roll on. I may get the ECU's in for the reflash before the trip. Hate to be down the week, but then maybe I can talk momma into taking the Miata to work. :)
Top gear roll ons for comparison of power between two bikes are meaningless unless both bikes have exactly the same gear ratio in top gear. My brother keeps wanting to do a roll on comparison with his Mean Streak and I tell him sure as long as I stay in 5th. I think even then he has an advantage in gear ratio, because these 1700s are over driven in both 5th and 6th. Not sure about the Meany though.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #40
Advanced Member

Quote:
Top gear roll ons for comparison of power between two bikes are meaningless unless both bikes have exactly the same gear ratio in top gear. My brother keeps wanting to do a roll on comparison with his Mean Streak and I tell him sure as long as I stay in 5th. I think even then he has an advantage in gear ratio, because these 1700s are over driven in both 5th and 6th. Not sure about the Meany though.
The Vulcan 1500 and 1600 were overdrive in 4th and 5th, the Meanie may have had different gearing. All this means is the trans output shaft is turning faster than the input, but you need to consider the primary drive ratio and the final drive as well, to get the total gear reduction between the crankshaft and the rear wheel.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
The Vulcan 1500 and 1600 were overdrive in 4th and 5th, the Meanie may have had different gearing. All this means is the trans output shaft is turning faster than the input, but you need to consider the primary drive ratio and the final drive as well, to get the total gear reduction between the crankshaft and the rear wheel.
Just read an old review of the Meanie which stated it was geared lower than the standard 1500 Vulcans. I've ridden my brother's and 5th might be over driven but I don't think 4th is. He has an open air kit and full after market exhaust along with a re-flashed ECU by a local tuner so it does scoot much stronger than a stock Meanie.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #42

From a 50 mph roll on, a Stock Ultra or Street Glide (2016 or older model) should not be able to keep up with a Voyager or Vaquero. At least they can't with mine. They are strong at lower speeds though.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
From a 50 mph roll on, a Stock Ultra or Street Glide (2016 or older model) should not be able to keep up with a Voyager or Vaquero. At least they can't with mine. They are strong at lower speeds though.
I guess the keyword is Stock because i am 100% sure that No voyager will keep up(ivanized or not) with the same ultra or sg that you are talking about with tuner,air filter and pipes.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #44

Miles in your signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I just converted the number of kilometers in your signature to miles. You have a Voyager with over 363,000 miles on it? Seriously?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #45
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just converted the number of kilometers in your signature to miles. You have a Voyager with over 363,000 miles on it? Seriously?
Yes.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.