Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #31

I'm gonna guess that the original poster for this thread has now sold his bike after watching the video.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #32

EDIT - I didn't realize this was the Nomad/Vaq/Voyager section of the forums but I'm on a Nomad 1500FI, if it makes much difference.

Did a forum search and am ressurecting this despite most the advice of "get out and ride and forget about the loss of control you feel in your front end!"

That aside, I'm experiencing a worsening wobble. When I bought the bike a year ago (about 24,000 miles) I noticed a bit with the windshield on and much less/almost none without, so I attributed it to that. However, I managed a nice 2,000 mile ride to Nashville and back in June without any issues, save a rear tire replacement when I found a bubble in it in the middle of Illinois.

Anyway, with that trip behind and just breaking 30,000 miles, I'm really noticing a troublesome wobble without my windshield attached. It comes whether I have two hands on the bars or not, and mostly from hitting simple bumps in the pavement. Up around 50+mph it's not there, so it's mostly below that riding around town that's an issue.

What can I look for in terms of maintenance? My tire has great tread still, but maybe it's out of balance now? Or perhaps check the pressure? Brakes biting on one side or something? I feel like the biggest deal might be the bearings, but without the low-ish miles on her that might be far fetched. Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Welder/Assembler making wind turbines in South Dakota.

Last edited by dustbeard; 07-30-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #33
Top Contributor

Check that the steering head bearings are correctly adjusted and have no play.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #34

When you say that your tire has 'great tread', I'm assuming you mean the front tire.

How is the rear tire?

Check for cupping, pressure, rear shock adjustments, wheel bearings.

Many times it's an issue in the rear of the bike that makes the front feel loose.
VBA 936

Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
When you say that your tire has 'great tread', I'm assuming you mean the front tire.

How is the rear tire?

Check for cupping, pressure, rear shock adjustments, wheel bearings.

Many times it's an issue in the rear of the bike that makes the front feel loose.
Yes, I meant the front tire. The rear tire is new - put on the middle of my trip when I found a bubble in the previous tire on my way home. Perhaps I need to take it to my dealer here and have them inspect it to see that it was done proper like?

Welder/Assembler making wind turbines in South Dakota.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-31-2017, 10:47 AM   #36

Ive tried everything possible to eliminate the wobble over the years, I found that a new front tire was the best cure for some temporary relief. Nothing else made a permanent difference.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #37
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Ive tried everything possible to eliminate the wobble over the years, I found that a new front tire was the best cure for some temporary relief. Nothing else made a permanent difference.
Is there a possibility there is an alignment problem with the wheels?

Meaning after the engine and rear pulleys are aligned, there is an alignment issue with the front wheel and the rear wheel.

Kinda seems all three are related.

If I remember correctly there was a fellow rider on this forum that reported he had a problem with his Vaquero drive belt rubbing heavy on one side. He had to shim the front cradle engine mounts by spreading the frame where it bolts together in the front, and shimming it to get more room so he could move the engine a certain way so the belt would stop rubbing one of the drive belt pulleys.

When these frames are welded up there are a lot of ways things can get out of tolerances.

Manufacturing gives plus or minuses on what they build, and it would be easy for different parts to be within tolerance but on opposite ends of the scale and create some unpleasant results.

Just food for thought.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #38

4 street cruisers, 45 years, only wobble I got was my Nomad when original tires were worn out. Besides, who rides no-hands?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #39

I doubt anything is out of alignment on my bike, like I mentioned with a new front tire I get a couple months of no wobble, then it starts very gradually, and as the tire wears it gets worse. Right now my front tire still has well over half the tread on it , yet it wobbles like crazy.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 PM   #40
Top Contributor

Quote:
I doubt anything is out of alignment on my bike, like I mentioned with a new front tire I get a couple months of no wobble, then it starts very gradually, and as the tire wears it gets worse. Right now my front tire still has well over half the tread on it , yet it wobbles like crazy.
Just curious. Does your bike have OEM or Allballs steering head bearings ?

Old 07-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #41

I think it has oem bearings from what I remember, they were replaced a few years ago, and retightened a couple times since trying to see if it makes a difference..

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Have you checked the run out on the rim? A slightly bent rim might not cause wobble with a new tire, but as the tire wears, it might.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #43

i have a 14 vaquero . replaced the original bridgestones at 10,000 KM with commander II. had a mild wobble on deceleration around 65 km/h. It got progressively worse.
took back to dealer after a couple months on the new tires and they took it for a ride. replaced the front tire. they said mine is the 3rd or 4th one they had to replace. supplier wouldn't admit there was a bad batch of commander II's but didn't have a problem replacing the tire.

new tire and no wobble.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #44

Hopefully after your tire is 1/4 or more worn you still will be wobble free, mine always starts again after a couple months.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 AM   #45

All Balls

Quote:
Hopefully after your tire is 1/4 or more worn you still will be wobble free, mine always starts again after a couple months.
Yep - I've shot a Wobble issue on 3 Voyagers.
Things I've found -
#1 - Very tire dependent on my bikes - Stock Bridgestone, Metzler ME888, Commander II, Elite 3. Best to worse on wobble. Never tried the American Elite on front.
#2 - New tires always feel better
#3 - Front fork Brace helps
#4 - All Balls tapered bearings FIXED the wobble for me.

The combination of Garry's fork brace, All Balls Bearings and Metzler ME-888 front tire is currently the smoothest wobble free 15,000 miles I've had out of the 100,000 miles I've put on Voyagers.

My suggestion to the original poster - Order those Bearings NOW for your winter project.