Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #1

New Vaquero

So I already hated these posts on other forums. But fork it. I am looking at a 2016 Vaquero. I am riding a low rider s now. I would like input from those that have made the jump from Harley to the Vaquero. I would like to know everything from why you changed to why you wouldn't go back. I have been looking at the Indians, Victory (yes I know now defined), and the Vaquero. I have seem to settled on the Vaquero. Price is there. The reason I went to the Harley was I was tired of not finding aftermarket stuff. I can find anything for the Harley I want. How ever it just leads to buying more crap I don't need. What I am wondering is how readily available are the sissy bars and price. What about tuners and exhaust? That would be all I am looking for. I am wanting a bagger bad as a Dyna for cross country sucks. I'm not about the pay the premium price for a Harley bagger. I have been looking through the site but most what I've found is saving hand info of longevity. I want to hear first hand accounts of problems, gremlins, etc. How is the maneuverability? Thank you guys and gals.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #2

Welcome from Northern California!

I had two Harley Ultra Classics '01 & '08 before my '15 Voyager. First Ultra got a ton of extra chrome added. Second Ultra only got comfort items added and that is about the same for the Voyager.

Chucksters Custom who is also a member here has many items he offers for our bikes. He also will do custom work for a great price. I had him extend my brake and shifter for my bike and they are now offered at his Website.

I think the Voyager is easier to handle at slow speeds compared to my Ultra's. I'm only 5' 7" with a 30" inseam so the Voyager is is a little more of a stretch to flat foot then the Ultra's were.

As far as reliability I have 13,000 trouble free miles on the Voyager and I can't say the same for the Ultra's. Both Ultra's had many warranty claims while I owned them. The only reason I purchased the '08 was because my warranty was out on the '01 and I wouldn't own the bike without a warranty because of the many times it was in the shop for repairs.

Price wise I was drawn to the Voyager after owning a used '05 Nomad and it being very reliable for the time I owned it. I could not justify the extra cost of another Ultra over the Voyager on a retirement income.

One big benefit of the 1700's is the fact that you can Ivanize the ECU and have a great running bike at a cheap cost compared to other options.

I also like the frame mounted fairing compared to the fork mounted ones but that is not an issue between the Road Glide vs the Vaquero.

Test ride both bikes and see what you think.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Last edited by JD Hog; 08-08-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Welcome from Italy!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Welcome to the forum.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #5

Welcome from New Hampshire.