Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
Career Change

Well, with my job ending in December as mentioned on an earlier thread, I'm now faced with the decision of a career change.

I have my Bachelors in Business and my MBA. I have been thinking of getting into the medical field, (sorry, but not nursing or doctor), I'm not exactly sure what to do or how to get there. I have been with my current job for almost 24 years, so I'm a bit out of it.

I have been looking seriously and researching the following areas:
Healthcare Administration
Health Information Technology
Medical Imaging
Community Health

I remember other Kawanow members are in different healthcare fields and I am hoping to gain some advise from anyone who is willing to share it.

I was told by my advisor that an MBA would be sufficient to enter any field of business, including healthcare admin., (this was several years ago), but as I have read up on these healthcare fields more and more, it looks as if an MBA may not be sufficient.

I know that medical imaging will require a degree in radiology.
Health Information Technology also will require going back to school for a degree. But Healthcare administration, I'm not sure. I have been thinking, if I get the HIT or Radiology, it could open the doors a little easier for HCA.

I have been in management for the past 15 years, so I hope this experience will help as well.

I'm also thinking of trying to visit one of the local clinics or hospitals and see if one of the CEO's could sit down with me and discuss what I would need to do as far as degree programs, experience, etc... may be required. I don't mind going back to school, but not sure what direction to take.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to jump in, I'm open to listen to all your ideas.

Thank you,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #2

Career Change

Unfortunatley you are in a "Be glad you have a job market" so its going to be a challenge.

Good luck.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Career Change

An MBA? I'd try to get hired on at AIG. I hear they pay well.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #4

Career Change

Trip's work ought to be right up your alley, so in case he doesn't catch this thread, PM him.

As far as talking with someone in the field, when my wife was frustrated with not being able to get good work with her MBA and JD (JD was from London and not worth anything here) she thought about teaching school. She went to a local high school and asked to talk to the principle. She was accommodating and told her that her MBA and JD does no good at all for wanting to teach school and gave her a lot of info on what she would need to do.

So your idea of going to the top and sitting down and getting the real story is a good one.

BTW, she didn't go that route and is still underemployed, but at double or triple the teacher salary :)

Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

Career Change

Don't get into Trucking.. Things are the worst I've seen in 30= years of trucking out there. Some call it recession, I say depression. A recession is when your neighbor looses his job, a depression is when you lose yours,or are about to, and RECOVERY.. thats when the Democrats in the senate & congress and O'bamma lose their jobs! It don't take a PHD to figure that out. ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #6

Career Change

Blue Rebel:

My wife works for the University of Illinois College of Medicine in management. She suggested you speak to someone in management at a university near you; and also other health-care upper-management. She said you should get a good indication of where any opportunities lie after that.

Also; "Markus"; a KawaNOW member is, I believe, in a medically-related field with a firm selling products/services related to "medical imaging". I definitely do not remember the specifics of his field; but I am sure if you PM'd him he could give you some good information regarding his area.

It seems you didn't mention medically-related sales positions as an interest. I would think you would want to look into that area of your field of interest as well. You may be surprised at the opportunities you'll find in that area of the medical field - who knows.

Good luck to you though. If you would like for my wife to look further into some information; she would be more than happy to do so. Just PM me and let me know.

Greg

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Career Change

The popular thing around here in Mississippi nowadays is Physical Therapy.. Almost as popular as nursing and the pay is good. I've got a nephew who's going to PT school and is working part-time at a hospital where they pay for his schooling and he's making money (kinda like on-the-job training).

Old 03-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #8

Career Change

Yeah and fantastice bonuses and benefits too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
An MBA? I'd try to get hired on at AIG. I hear they pay well.