Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

De-badge Vaquero Tank

Has anyone de-badged the tank on a Vaquero. These are a decal under the clearcoat. The only way I could see this being done is by wetsanding down to the decal and either removing the decal or wetsanding the decal off and then reclearing the tank?? Anyone had this done or tried it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #2

Unfortunately I had to debadge mine when I put a small ding in it and had to have it painted. Could not save the decals. Plan on painting the whole tank if you sand them out. Paint is tri coat. Too many layers to just sand them out but I am no body expert either.
Utopia rider backrest
KQR backrest and luggage rack
Kruzer Kaddy
Garmin gps with mounted case
13" Cee Baileys dark tinted windshield
Passenger floorboards
Kury tombstone bag
TLC bag liners--STILL WAITING????

Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #3

I bit the bullet and removed them. I still need to do a little wet sanding and a buff and I should be good to go. I was worried it may have had a shade variance but it did not. I just figured green would be the hardest but it worked out great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.1 KB, 64 views)

Old 05-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #4

Wow, that take determination! Not too sure I'd put forth the effort unless I was painting the bike.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #5

Its actually pretty easy and took about 30 minutes to remove the decals. If you know how to wetsand and have a high speed buffer its not very difficult. I will have maybe 1.5 hours invested when done. I just did it as if somthing was to go wrong I would have just recleared it (still have some left from a previous build). Anyways, after doing some research and making a few phone calls I was able to determin that the paint job on the Vaquero is cleared first, decals applied and then cleared again. I took an exacto and lightly scored the top layer of clear right around the decal. The decal was still slightly raised to the exacto has a great guide to follow. Once scored, I heated it with heat gun (has to get really hot) and pelled the decal off. Once the decal was removed I removed all the adheasive with WD40. Last step was to wetsand with 1500 and 2000 to knock it flat, then buff and polish. You would never know there was a decal there. If you decide to do this at your own risk, whatever you do, do not "cut" around the decal or press down when "scoring" as you could cut to deep and cause imperfections. You just want to gently let the exacto do the work and follow the edge of the decal. Really cleans up the looks of the tank (not so busy).

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

On the older bikes with the stick on badges. If you change your mind or the next owner wants the badges back on like I did, it's an easy fix. But this is way more work to go back to. Can you even buy the decals if you wanted them?

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #7

Yes, decals are available, although, I dont know if you would want to go through the trouble clearing over them again if you wanted to go back to having them.