Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Question about front wheel change

Morning all!

So I ordered and installed an RC Custom 21" front wheel for my Vaq. The final result left me feeling like all the Christmases of my childhood had come together for a visit!!! :)

Once it was installed, the right side collar (spacer?) seems a bit far from the fork, especially compared to the left side. On the left it fits flush against the fork whereas the right sits about an 1/8 of an inch away from the fork. I checked the service manual and it says the spacer should sit about 2mm (.08") off the fork. The torque is correct at 94 ft/lbs and I liberally greased the axle before install..

The bike rides well and there doesn't seem to be any issues. However, I'd hate to find an issue out in the middle of the Mojave desert on one of my frequent trips to Arizona. The tire also appears pretty close to centerline when I shot it with my laser levels.

My question is this: Should I stop thinking about this and ride it like I'm a safe and careful rider (LOL) or do I need to add a spacer on the left so the collars are equal distances off the forks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right Axle Spacer.jpg (40.7 KB, 66 views)
Mustang Touring Seat
Kuryakyn Air Intake
Vance and Hines TSO's
Power Commander V w/Dyno Tune
3" Risers
Extended Black Stainless Brake Lines
Passenger Floorboards
21" RC Customs Holeshot Contrast Cut front wheel
Kuryakyn Run/Brake/Turn Controller
High Tech Speed Zepto front turn signals

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister559 View Post
Morning all!

... My question is this: Should I stop thinking about this and ride it like I'm a safe and careful rider (LOL)...
In my opinion - Yes. Mine is the same, and worried me the same when I installed my new tire - until I re-checked the manual.

It's designed that way. Mess with that gap at all and I'd think you'll have trouble with the right side brake caliper.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

Looks just like mine

Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

Thanks Peg. I looked at the brake caliper after your reply and you are correct, it wouldn't work if the wheel was any further to the right as the alignment with the rotor would be off. So no more worries, just lots of enjoyment!
Mustang Touring Seat
Kuryakyn Air Intake
Vance and Hines TSO's
Power Commander V w/Dyno Tune
3" Risers
Extended Black Stainless Brake Lines
Passenger Floorboards
21" RC Customs Holeshot Contrast Cut front wheel
Kuryakyn Run/Brake/Turn Controller
High Tech Speed Zepto front turn signals

Old 06-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #5

What you could do if you wanted to... is loosen the two 6mm allen bolts that trap the axle on the RH side, and as per the manual compress the forks a few times against a wall or something (without touching the brakes). That's supposed to settle the right side fork on the axle in the correct position... then tighten the allen bolts again.

When you think about it, that right side of the axle is not held by anything other than those two bolts, which pinch it in place. It floats quite independently. The axle is simply guided through it, and torqued through spacers and bearings to the left side alone. Performing that procedure from the manual lets the axle settle where it wants to in the right side fork where it's then captured by the allen bolts.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #6

I think we had this question about the spacer come up a month or so back. At that Time I could no remember what mine looked like but went out to the garage to check. If you look carefully the mating surfaces of the fork tubes where the spacers sit up against are machined slightly different. The right side has a bit more of a shoulder, so the gape is normal.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister559 View Post
Morning all!

So I ordered and installed an RC Custom 21" front wheel for my Vaq. The final result left me feeling like all the Christmases of my childhood had come together for a visit!!! :)

Once it was installed, the right side collar (spacer?) seems a bit far from the fork, especially compared to the left side. On the left it fits flush against the fork whereas the right sits about an 1/8 of an inch away from the fork. I checked the service manual and it says the spacer should sit about 2mm (.08") off the fork. The torque is correct at 94 ft/lbs and I liberally greased the axle before install..

The bike rides well and there doesn't seem to be any issues. However, I'd hate to find an issue out in the middle of the Mojave desert on one of my frequent trips to Arizona. The tire also appears pretty close to centerline when I shot it with my laser levels.

My question is this: Should I stop thinking about this and ride it like I'm a safe and careful rider (LOL) or do I need to add a spacer on the left so the collars are equal distances off the forks?
that's the way it is supposed to look check your service manual it tells you you need a certain amount of space on the right side.