Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #17
Top Contributor

I've got the same helmet (without the pony tail thing). I like Scorpion enough that I'm considering buying their modular (EXO 900) this winter. Toss up between that and the Nolan N104.

Glad you had fun on the trip. I'm not sure how well I would have liked it in the rain, but I'm thinking of heading over that way next summer.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I've got the same helmet (without the pony tail thing). I like Scorpion enough that I'm considering buying their modular (EXO 900) this winter. Toss up between that and the Nolan N104.

Glad you had fun on the trip. I'm not sure how well I would have liked it in the rain, but I'm thinking of heading over that way next summer.
I love the Scorpion helmets! This is my third one. I'll have to check out their modular that you mentioned

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #19

It's funny....it was cold and misty and I have on flannel lined jeans, extra sweat shirt and jacket on under my leather jacket, yet I refused to wear the heavy leather gloves because I wanted to be able to take pictures with my camera!!!!! I'm really screwed up!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
It's not too bad in the rain, you just gotta slow it way down.

Grats on a successful trip.

I'll be on back on the dragon in 3 days, woohoo.
VBA #02196

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
It's funny....it was cold and misty and I have on flannel lined jeans, extra sweat shirt and jacket on under my leather jacket, yet I refused to wear the heavy leather gloves because I wanted to be able to take pictures with my camera!!!!! I'm really screwed up!!!
Hang on a second. You took pics as you were riding the Dragon??? Seriously? I'm not sure I'd take pics while riding on a straight road but I damn sure wouldn't on the Dragon (or a similar road).
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
I love the Scorpion helmets! This is my third one. I'll have to check out their modular that you mentioned
It's the EXO 900 aka the Transformer. It's a mid range modular. You can completely remove the chin bar and replace it with a piece to make it an open face. Revzilla has a good vid on it. Sometimes, you can find it on sale as low as $250 or so. The Nolan N104 is about $100 more but is a bit better helmet. I just have to find one to try on to see if it fits my fat head.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Hang on a second. You took pics as you were riding the Dragon??? Seriously? I'm not sure I'd take pics while riding on a straight road but I damn sure wouldn't on the Dragon (or a similar road).
I take pics while riding. You just have to concentrate on what your doing.
It is not that difficult.

Quote:
It's the EXO 900 aka the Transformer. It's a mid range modular. You can completely remove the chin bar and replace it with a piece to make it an open face. Revzilla has a good vid on it. Sometimes, you can find it on sale as low as $250 or so. The Nolan N104 is about $100 more but is a bit better helmet. I just have to find one to try on to see if it fits my fat head.
Doesn't sound like it would be to sturdy in a face first crash. Sliding down the road on the front of the helmet the damn chin bar comes off.
I'll stick to a conventional full face thank you.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Doesn't sound like it would be to sturdy in a face first crash. Sliding down the road on the front of the helmet the damn chin bar comes off. I'll stick to a conventional full face thank you.
I think the same thing about most modulars. The only one I would possibly trust is the shoei neotec since it uses steel hinges instead of plastic like most use. I still don't trust modulars as nice as they would be to have.
VBA #02196

Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corigan View Post
I think the same thing about most modulars. The only one I would possibly trust is the shoei neotec since it uses steel hinges instead of plastic like most use. I still don't trust modulars as nice as they would be to have.
From the Nolan web site:

The Lexan chinbar is EPS lined and mounted with strong stainless-steel latches, so it passes the tests for full-face helmets of the European standard ECE-2205.

Not sure if the European standard is as stringent as the DOT here, but any way I figure the n43 sure beats, a 3/4, a half, or just a noggin in a face plant.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
From the Nolan web site:
I figure the n43 sure beats, a 3/4, a half, or just a noggin in a face plant.
Yes it does but not a full face.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
From the Nolan web site:

The Lexan chinbar is EPS lined and mounted with strong stainless-steel latches, so it passes the tests for full-face helmets of the European standard ECE-2205.

Not sure if the European standard is as stringent as the DOT here, but any way I figure the n43 sure beats, a 3/4, a half, or just a noggin in a face plant.
Thanks for the info, If I'm ever in the market for a modular I might look at it.
VBA #02196

Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #28
Top Contributor

First, I'm claustrophobic so I can't wear a full face helmet. With a modular, my brain knows I can flip it up any time I want even if I never do. Second, the European (ECE/EU) ratings are more stringent than DOT. There are a few modulars with an ECE rating (and there are 3 or 4 different ECE ratings). There's even 1 or 2 modulars with a Snell rating (Zeus and LS2). Third, anything that covers my face/chin is more protection than the 1/2 lid I currently wear.

The chin bar on the EXO 900 probably won't come open during a crash. Corigan, I have no idea where you're getting your info, but it's wrong. All modulars have either steel or aluminum pins. The only thing better about the Shoei is the fit and finish (and comfort and features). It's NOT a safer helmet just because it's a higher priced brand. Bell is well known for it's helmets but they don't make a great motorcycle helmet. Scorpion wasn't known for much of anything until a few years ago and they have some of the best (safest) helmets on the market. Ever heard of Zeus or LS2? Not only aren't they a big name brand but they are 2 of only a handful of modulars that are Snell rated. Is your full face Snell rated? A few of the ECE/Snell rated modulars use stainless steel pins just to get that higher rating. If it only takes SS to get that high rating, it probably wasn't far off to begin with.

The chin piece on the Nolan N43(E) is removable but not a flip up. The chin piece on the Scorpion flips up and is removable. That doesn't make it any less safe than a modular where you can't remove the chin piece. There are only 2 reasons why the modulars aren't as highly rated as the full faces. 1) Since it's not one complete piece of plastic (shell), there's a higher possibility that it could break/collapse. 2) It's possible (although unlikely) the latching mechanism could fail and the chin piece could pop up during a crash. (Of course, there's always the possibility that some dumbass could decide to wear it with the chin piece up which would negate any "full face" protection to begin with but DOT/ECE/Snell don't consider that when certifying a helmet. The only modular I know of that is designed to be worn with the chin bar up is the Shark.)

Bottom line is, a modular is worlds more protective than a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and almost as protective as a full face. As a matter of fact, there are some modulars that are MORE protective than some full face.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 10-12-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #29

Quote:
First, I'm claustrophobic so I can't wear a full face helmet. With a modular, my brain knows I can flip it up any time I want even if I never do.
OMG! I have the same problem! We started with full face helmets and I wasn't comfortable, mentally. Even though I KNOW I am not as protected in my current Scorpion, I'm not getting anxious and risking a panic attack!!!

Thank you for your explanations on the different modular helmets!!!!! It gives me alot to go by when buying my new helmet

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #30

Cheri Ann if you are in the Market for a new helmet with face protection, do try on a Nolan N43 before deciding on a flip up modular. The chin bar is below your field of vision so you can't tell it is there and you fell like you are wearing a 3/4 helmet.
The flip up shield is large for maximum visibility, but does not rattle when in the up position even at highway speeds. I would imagine it would be a good choice for a person who is claustrophobic and all that is removable so it converts to a 3/4 when you want. Of course I am a little bias because I own one, but having said that, out of the 9 or 10 helmets I have had over the years, including 2 full coverage ones, it is my favorite.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136